It's never too late, sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's never too late, sometimes.

Some of you read my thread about taking over the Cubmaster position in Konnor's Cub Scout Pack. Since he's got into scouting, it's rekindled the passion that I once had for scouts.

I got into Cub Scouts before I was old enough to do any kind of organized sports. Shortly after, we found out that I only had one kidney, and there were some problems with its associated plumbing. I had surgery to correct the problem, but the doctor told me that I shouldn't play any sports, to avoid a possible injury to that kidney, that could be life threatening, for me. This stoked my love for scouts. I finished all the Cub Scout ranks, and moved on to Boy Scouts, where I earned everything that I possibly could, including 93 merit badges out of a possible 113 (at the time), and only 21 were required for Eagle rank. I did my Eagle Service Project and had my board of review. After that, the trail went cold. I was the first Eagle Scout candidate, in a newer Troop, and the "finish" just didn't get finished.

I soon got a car, and a job, and gave up on getting my Eagle rank, even though I was technically already there.

Fast forward to the last year. I dug out all my old stuff to show Konnor, and wondered if there was any possible way to finish what I'd started. After going down the rabbit hole of the BSA website, I found a Belated Eagle Scout Application, that was intended for scouts that had done all the requirements before their 18th birthday, but didn't get the rank, for whatever reason. I then got in contact with our Council Advancement Chair. He said that I was more than welcome to submit it, but he doubted that it would be approved.

I spent about 6 months gathering as much information as I could, including letters from 2 scouts and my former Scoutmaster. I submitted everything on August 24th.

I hadn't heard anything up until 2 weeks ago, when I got a call from a very strange number. For some reason, I answered it. It was a guy, at the National level, that reviews these applications. He told me that the Council had not approved my application, but if I could provide him with some detailed explanations, of certain items, that he felt like I had a chance.

Luckily, I was able to get the information to him within a few days. He said it'd take him about a week to review everything, and after he was done, it went to a 5 person panel, for their review, that would take another week, then he would contact me with the results.

This past Wednesday, I got a call from the guy at the Council level, congratulating me that my application had been approved, and I would be receiving my Eagle rank. He forwarded me a letter from one of the top 10 scouting executives, in the Nation, for confirmation.

This journey started 40 years ago, and peaked last night when I shared the news with my Pack of Cub Scouts at our fall camp out camp fire.

As of Wednesday, October 14, 2020, I am an official Eagle Scout, effective August 9th, 1988!

The best part, for me was that this story inspired every scout, at the campout, to want to earn their Eagle rank.

Way to go Kevin! Congratulations

Comment

That is an awesome story!! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s great. You finally didn’t come up short.

Seriously. Congrats.

Comment

That is great! Congrats and welcome aboard, Eagle Scout!

Comment

Congratulations man! It's been a long time coming and glad you finally finished. Thank you for your passion to bring up another generation of young men.
            I passed the Eagle torch to one of my sons 9 years ago.
            Congrats again from one Eagle to another.

Comment

You went a lot farther than me. I started out in a good troupe, then we moved and the troupe there, did not do much other than the pine box derbies, boat competition, and parades. So I dropped out around 12 or so. Then I was also much more into hunting and shooting at the time. Then I got into 4H.

Congratulations, that many badge, took a lot of time. I remember reading all the stuff required to be a boy scout, that seemed like a lot, to make it to a eagle scout, sounded like it would take most of my life to get there. I guess it did take you a while to get there, so I was not far off. At one point, when I was around 10, I wanted to rack up all the badges I could and planned on making it to a Eagle Scout, but that faded, quickly, once I was in that second troupe for a while.

Comment

Congrats, we were in Scouts for 13 yrs.

Comment

Way to finish strong! Glad to hear your story.

Comment

Congrats, sometimes I wish I had pushed on to eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      That’s great. You finally didn’t come up short.

Seriously. Congrats.
                      You didn't!!!!!!

Don't let him get to you, Kevin. That's great work.

Congratulations, Little Buddy!!!

Comment

I thought the scouts were bankrupt, and they were no more ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          I thought the scouts were bankrupt, and they were no more ?
                          Chapter 11 bankrupty does not men they are out of business or defunct.

Comment

Boom! Great job and thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats.

I completed my Eagle board days before my 18th. Down to the wire!

Comment

Working...
                              X