Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please start your kids out on a recurve bow. Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please start your kids out on a recurve bow. Please.

When I'm not doing my "regular" job, I'm teaching archery to kids.

I run a JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) program, and help coach the Colorado County 4-H program in Columbus. Before that, I ran a JOAD program in Southern Illinois for 4 years, and before that I taught archery to cub scout day camps in Roswell, NM for years.

Like most of you, I'm a bowhunter and like most of you with kids, I wanted my kids to start bowhunting as soon as they could.

But I have a request for all you new and new"ish" parents out there. Please, I'm asking you, start your kids out on a recurve bow and teach them how to shoot before putting that $300 youth compound in their hands.

Why do I say this? Experience. A kid that learns to shoot a recurve, whether with a sight or without, will always be able to shoot a compound well when they are older. But a kid that starts out with a compound and 65-80% letoff, a trigger release, a peep sight, stabilizer and whisker biscuit or drop-away rest will develop bad habits within minutes that will probably never go away.

I've seen it too many times.

The recurve will teach them discipline. It will teach them patience. It will teach them body control and it will help them develop strength.

My son killed his first deer with a 40# Browning Micro-Midas compound when he was 12. Yes, at 12 he was able to draw a 40# (legal min. at the time) compound and execute a perfect double-lung shot on a doe at 15 yards, from a tree stand. Why? Because I had started him with a recurve at 5 years old, and he began shooting target recurve at 7. By the time he was 9, he had developed enough strength and discipline to draw a 40# compound and be accurate with it. And on his 3rd deer season, at 12, he took his first deer with a bow.

I'm not saying this to brag on my son, but rather to say that by starting a kid out with a traditional bow, they will develop shooting habits that will last them a lifetime.

I know not everyone will agree with this and that there are plenty of parents who are going to head to Bass Pro and buy whatever the "guy behind the counter" tells them to buy so their kid can go hunting right away.

But bowhunting was never meant to be an instant-gratification endeavor, especially with the youngest hunters among us. Give them time to learn to shoot. And help them learn the right way.

Please.

I plan on it. He's not 2 weeks old yet.

Comment

totally agree...

too many adults consider themselves bowhunters and all they have ever used are tricked out compounds...

not....

Comment

I respectfully disagree. My son shot his first deer with a bow at 12 as well. It was a mission menace. He did just fine without starting out with a recurve. I think it is just a matter of preference. A recurve is a more challenging method. But still, I believe it is a personal prefernce issue.

Comment

Someone would have to teach me how to shoot a recurve fist lol.

Comment

Started each of my kids at age 4 with recurves. All we worked on is form and consistency. My boys ages 6 and 8 have moved up to 15-18 lb 52" recurve bows and do pretty well at 10yds with no sights. My 4yr old daughter is still learning but loves to shoot the 3D pig target as much as anyone.

Comment

I think there is a place for instinctive shooting with a recurve. I look at it as more of a survival skill. I'd want my kids to be able to pick up either kind of bow and just be able to use it. It's all dependent upon the kid and how they learn. Some kids do better with instinctive shooting than others.

Comment

Started my son out with a compound at age 5. It doesn't matter what they learn on if they are taught right. Don't let them learn bad habits.

Comment

Thanks for info, I bought my boy a Bowtech Rascal that is just a little too much for him now. He wants to shoot and I have a old recurve from when I was a kid that i may let him mess with.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. You can"learn" on anything. Bad habits can occur no matter the type of bow. As the teacher it`s your job to correct any bad habits. No matter the platform. Said in a friendly manner.
                    Your back ground in Archery is much greater than mine . I`m just stating my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                      too many adults consider themselves bowhunters and all they have ever used are tricked out compounds
                      All I've ever shot is a compound. Started at the ripe old age of 36. Are you saying that I shouldn't consider myself to be a bowhunter??

Comment

I think this advice would be akin to starting out learning how to drive stick shift vs. automatic. That way, you can hop into any vehicle later on in life and just go. Like after you knock off a bank or a Taco Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post

totally agree...

too many adults consider themselves bowhunters and all they have ever used are tricked out compounds...

not....

Possibly the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                            I plan on it. He's not 2 weeks old yet.
                            Right there with you. Ours is 6 months old.

I'm guessing its a lot like teaching them to drive a standard first.

Comment

I shot a 55lb compound with 60% let off at 12. Could hit bottle caps out to 20yds. No one ever taught me anything. Guy behind the counter told my mom he knew best for me so that's what I shot. Terrible form, no fun, switched to recurve, learned about form. Loved trad ever since I was 13.

Comment

Working...
                              X