• Show
Clear All

Covert 3G deployed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411078660.438949.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	25030227
    External battery and solar panel. Booster antenna.

That's a he'll of an antenna

Comment

good grief man...you need to put a red beacon on that bad boy! NICE!!

Comment

Cows won't chew on that antenna.

Pics or it never happened!

Comment

Covert 3G deployed.

Honestly, that doesn't look to "Covert".

Just kidding. Bought a solar panel/6v battery for mine. I had the 2013 black ops, sent it to Covert with $50 and they upgraded me to the 2014 so the solar panel will recharge the rechargeable batteries. Does that make sense?
          Last edited by Rotney; 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

What kind of battery life were you getting before adding solar panel?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter2 View Post

If you're asking me. It is not a fair battery like question.

Due to a POS messing with my set up last year I placed it 15ft up on a tree. so every time the wind blows I got a pic. Nothing there but the feeder.

So 100-150 pics a day via text. Batteries didn't last long. I had 12 AA Duracell Alkaline batteries. I changed over to rechargeable batteries but they don't last long either. Only had 4 in. So I bought a solar panel with 6v battery, Moultrie, and it wouldn't recharge the rechargeable batteries because the camera is a 2013 model. With the 2014 you have a switch to change it to NiMH. Hopefully this will work.
              Last edited by Rotney; 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                Cows won't chew on that antenna.

Pics or it never happened!

This. Cows will chew anything they can reach. Booster antenna did help signal.

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter2 View Post

Battery life on the 3G is reported to be terrible. I'm hoping this setup will work. My only concern is the 12v to 6v reducer that I got from Covert.

Comment

So the 3G runs off of 6v? Couldn't you just set up a 6v solar panel and battery?

Very interested in this thread.

Comment

Which antenna did you get? I am about to order another to replace one. I unplugged it after last season and just left the end hanging. Cows fixed it for me.

This is in the one I've used and am about to buy again?
                      Wilson Antenna

Comment

Why does it eat up batteries so fast? Does it have anything to do with cellular service or lack there of? I was about to purchase the covert special ops code blk 3G.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          Which antenna did you get? I am about to order another to replace one. I unplugged it after last season and just left the end hanging. Cows fixed it for me.

This is in the one I've used and am about to buy again?
                          Wilson Antenna
                          I am using the Covert booster antenna. Able to get reception in area of lease that my 2G will not get signal.

Comment

I know that a cell phone will burn batteries if it is trying to locate a LTE signal and one is not available. I would think that most cell towers would have 3G capabilities. If there is no 3G capability with the tower the camera is receiving the signal from, it may be burning batteries trying to locate the 3G signal.

Just a guess on my part. My wife is a AT&T Mobility employee and tells me to turn my LTE off when we are in BFE to save my battery. It's because the phone is searching for a LTE signal if it is on.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X