No announcement yet.

2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking my canoe to chase reds down in Port A or Corpus on Saturday. Hoping the skinny access backwaters are decent right now. Debating on bringing the shotgun juuuuust in case.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      No surprise there.
      Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        It looks like the temporary trout limit from FM 457 in Sargent south passed. No implementation date mentioned.
        Ugh, be lucky if that ever comes back to 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
          Ugh, be lucky if that ever comes back to 5.
          I think it will go back to 5. It's got a sunset on it. I think it would be a whole lot harder for them to make a permanent change. I think people supported it heavily because it is temporary, I do not think they would get the same support for a permanent change.

Comment

I think it will go back to 5. It's got a sunset on it. I think it would be a whole lot harder for them to make a permanent change. I think people supported it heavily because it is temporary, I do not think they would get the same support for a permanent change.
            CCA doesn’t need support to pass their agenda.......temporary is the beginning of permanent
            I hope not for your sake Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
              CCA doesn’t need support to pass their agenda.......temporary is the beginning of permanent
              I hope not for your sake Glenn
              agreed.

Has anyone ever looked up the 'background' of the TPWD commissioners?

Its quite comical really. I think ONE has any studies of anything remotely close to wildlife. Theyre all appointed so its not like thats going to change anytime soon.

Comment

It looks like the temporary trout limit from FM 457 in Sargent south passed. No implementation date mentioned.

What I read said it would be in effect before the temporary orders expire

Comment

Folks will still want to get out and fish no matter what the limit is. It's more about the experience and time with friends and family for most people. It will have an effect and on some guides more than others. I am not worried about it.

Let's be real honest, you have not been able to equate the cost of the game to the bags of fillets in a very long time. Average joe folks are rolling up to the ramp with $80k boats being pulled by $70k trucks and they fish 20 times a year or less. You can't make that come out no matter how good of a fisherman you are. It only ends up being worth it because there is more to fishing than just pounds of fillets. I do not see most people not fishing over a limit reduction.

Comment

Folks will still want to get out and fish no matter what the limit is. It's more about the experience and time with friends and family for most people. It will have an effect and on some guides more than others. I am not worried about it.

Let's be real honest, you have not been able to equate the cost of the game to the bags of fillets in a very long time. Average joe folks are rolling up to the ramp with $80k boats being pulled by $70k trucks and they fish 20 times a year or less. You can't make that come out no matter how good of a fisherman you are. It only ends up being worth it because there is more to fishing than just pounds of fillets. I do not see most people not fishing over a limit reduction.
                    I could see that with your customer base etc. The problem lies with recreational guys that have their own boats and fish themselves 99% of the time. We don't hurt the resource at all, its been proven over and over rod and reel are minimal factors in declining fish populations. I don't see them lifting this at the end of the sunset. They will fudge numbers and say we need more money to figure out why its not like it should be. Not sure I trust any of the so called science behind anything anymore. The numbers are too easy to fudge so they can get more money to "study" further. I hope you are right and I'm wrong though. I'm guessing the pressure will switch to galveston and sabine. They will be next on the chopping block.

Comment

I really think the limit will go back where it was. The fish numbers will bounce back up over the next two years. I don't think this is some big conspiracy.

I'm not sure I follow your line of thought on TPWD benefitting from this. How does TPWD make more money by cutting limits? How do they get paid more to do additional studies? Who is paying them more?

Comment

Grant Money (ppls pockets lined). There is a lot of shady stuff that goes on in the wildlife sciences, its not all about the wildlife. Who knows, I just wish they would put the money and effort into habitat (marsh) restoration, passes, cutting commercial oyster fishing significantly versus cutting limits. The fish would be way better off in the long run. Good luck to everyone, go get some fish while you can keep a few.

Comment

I tried Monday. Water temps were around 50. Did scratch out a handful of trout but they almost felt like weeds on the bite. It was slow going. Bad fisherman I guess. All fish were on drains leading into the ICW

Comment

That classic winter trout bite.

Comment

That classic winter trout bite.
                              We call it the wet sock bite. Fish till you feel a wet sock and snap the rod tip

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

One more weekend at deer camp, boat is back from the shop after getting rewired. I’m ready to go. At least people won’t be able to kill the big girls for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X