No announcement yet.

Mineral blocks for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side note, has anyone ever thought about drilling a hole thru it and driving a piece of rebar thru the hole into the ground to keep the pigs from rolling into the next county? Of course that is only if you don't have it in a feed pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
      As a side note, has anyone ever thought about drilling a hole thru it and driving a piece of rebar thru the hole into the ground to keep the pigs from rolling into the next county? Of course that is only if you don't have it in a feed pen.
      I did that very thing where the pigs were really bad. If you do it, make sure you blow or wipe the block residue off your drill and bit, then spray some oil on it. It works though. Frickin’ hogs !

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        those rocks I'm sure work because so many on here swear by them... but I just cannot bring myself to pay all that money for a dang rock (like a pet rock) wrapped in plastic with a label slapped on it, then take it out to my lease where the ground is covered in rocks and throw it out for the deer to EAT!!
        You can buy two red blocks for what one Trophy Rock costs and both of them are 95% salt. Why anyone would buy the rock is beyond me.

Comment

Is there a time of year that the mineral blocks could be more beneficial to the deer? Time of year they may need more or is this more as an attractant?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            You can buy two red blocks for what one Trophy Rock costs and both of them are 95% salt. Why anyone would buy the rock is beyond me.
            Our deer won’t touch the red salt blocks. So there’s no point in buying them for us. The deer devour the Trophy Rocks. I buy them cheap on clearance at Walmart….any where from $4-8$.

I may be wrong but I think the trophy rocks have more trace minerals for deer vs the red cattle salt blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
              Is there a time of year that the mineral blocks could be more beneficial to the deer? Time of year they may need more or is this more as an attractant?
              You can keep minerals out year around but the coming out of the winter into spring and summer months seems to be when they hit them the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                Our deer won’t touch the red salt blocks. So there’s no point in buying them for us. The deer devour the Trophy Rocks. I buy them cheap on clearance at Walmart….any where from $4-8$.

I may be wrong but I think the trophy rocks have more trace minerals for deer vs the red cattle salt blocks.
                Do your deer know you’re buying TR on sale ?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Do the hogs eat them up?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                      Do the hogs eat them up?
                      Yes, but not much. The biggest trouble I have with hogs is them rooting them out of my camera range.

Comment

Tried the red ones from tractor supply and there was no sign they touched it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                          Lol !

Comment

I use this above, Trophy Rock 465, they will dig a pit trying to get to all of it. .. put it out twice a year. I got mine at Scheels, but they do sell at TSC.

Comment

You should do a soil analysis or visit with local Wildlife Biologist to find what the soils in your area are deficient. In the Edwards Plateau, it is Phosphorus. This limestone country has more than enough Calcium and of course it takes both elements to grown bones and antlers.
                              I buy a 12-12 block from Hi Pro that is used for livestock so don't tell my deer...
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

The Hi Pro blocks are not cheap but the only ones that I know do any good. One block should last at least 6 months. Very important from now through antler growing season.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X