Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nilgai hunt leaving in two days- any last min advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
    They will get you on bulls in a hurry

In case nobody mentioned it, spray your pants, boots and shirts, jacket with permethrin

I killed my bull after a belly crawl thru grass and the chiggars got me good

Worth it though

You will have a great trip with insight
    MrO5, good skillin! I first thought suggesting you might want knee pads and gloves in case you needed to crawl some distance. MrSquared confirmed and upped that. Spray the knee pads and gloves too.

Comment

Help

Any info on the Teniente and how to hunt those Nalgai would be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips- esp the bug spray.

Just gotta get through this shift and the party begins!

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
          Their website says they require a .338 or larger caliber.
          I discussed it with the owner- .300WM is ok. I do have a .460 Winchester mag that I've never shot that belonged to my grandfather but...yeah...I don't want to drag that around. Ammo is a few hundred a box I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Good luck Doc!! Waitin' on LDP's now!! Take lots of cooler capacity!! Them's some good eats!
            Thanks I'm really excited about this one!

Comment

Man, this thread has got me all pumped up to go on one of these Nilgai hunts!! How far in advance did y'all book your hunts to get these prime hunt dates during the "rut" (that I understand is this time of year for them)??

Comment

Good luck! Had a guy bring some Nilgai snack sticks on a trip a while back and they were delicious! It's had me thinking about knocking one down!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Man, this thread has got me all pumped up to go on one of these Nilgai hunts!! How far in advance did y'all book your hunts to get these prime hunt dates during the "rut" (that I understand is this time of year for them)??
                  I think we planned this in May and it was almost too late. I'd book as early as possible aka now for next year.

Comment

Any thoughts on taxidermy? I've searched threads here and looked at google. They aren't horribly attractive animals. If it's not a giant, I was thinking a skull mount on a wood plaque with some artificial cactus...

Comment

Comment

I have done both shoulder and euro and honestly, unless you get a really nice BLUE bull and have some room I would recommend the euro. I love my shoulder mount, but man do they take up some room with a big bull if you go straight out!!! Good luck!!!

Comment

Client 1 is on the board. 4 more to go. Great neck shot at 250 yards with a .257.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Mudd Bud!

I'll pass on the fanged WT/Nilgai mount option.

All I can picture right now is a 200gr bullet slamming into a shoulder of a big bull. 4hrs left of work!

Going to try and kick my feet up in the call room of the ER for a min until something else walks in.

Comment

Man this thread drags on and on and on…with no hunting.

Get er done mister. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                                Very nice Mudd Bud!

I'll pass on the fanged WT/Nilgai mount option.

All I can picture right now is a 200gr bullet slamming into a shoulder of a big bull. 4hrs left of work!

Going to try and kick my feet up in the call room of the ER for a min until something else walks in.
                                Good luck today. Lots of movement this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X