No announcement yet.

To buy a new rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

270 will do all you want it to. If you're just wanting to buy a new gun, 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag solid options.

Comment

Dad has been dropping muleys and elk with his 700 in 270 with 140gr since 1980. Only large centerfire he even owns.

But, he has the eyes of an eagle. We don't have to chase or search for his game.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
        I'm going mule deer hunting in CO this fall and I'm trying to decide what gun to hunt with. Here in TX I hunt whitetails with a 270. For out west I would like a "mountain rifle" to hunt muleys and maybe elk some day. Many weigh 6 lbs or even less. A light rifle will obviously have more felt recoil so I dont think I would go with something like a 300 Win mag. Randy Newberg frequently hunts elk with a 308. I think that wouldn't recoil too bad in a light rifle but is it too similar to a 270 to not be worth buying a new gun?
        use the 270 with a bonded bullet like the nosler partition it will work,,, unless you just need an excuse for a new one

Comment

It may not be a new and fancy name, but Jack O'Connor had 0 problems with the 270.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            It may not be a new and fancy name, but Jack O'Connor had 0 problems with the 270.
            X2,

I do believe half the words Jack O'Connor ever wrote were about his fondness for the .270 Winchester.

Comment

Shot my mule deer with a 130gr Accubond from a .260 remington at a few steps shy of 300 yards. Completely passed through the deer and he went 10-25 steps.

They aren’t elephants. Use what ever caliber your comfortable shooting. 1 well placed shot with a light caliber is better than a poor shot with a magnum.

Comment

There is a .257 weatherby in the classifieds that I would be making a deal on if I was in your shoes.

Comment

If you want a new gun, get you a new one. But a 270 will hammer a mule deer. I shot my muley this year at 330 yards with a 130 grain Hornady soft point. Went through both shoulders and he didn’t make it 30 yards from where I shot him.

Comment

270 will be just fine. I shot a Mule Deer at 475yds with a 6 Creedmoor this year with 108gr bullets. Never took a step. It's all about the right bullet and shot placement.

Comment

its always fun to buy a new gun even when you have a safe/safes full. Let us know what you get and post pics!!

Comment

I still vote 30-06 or even 300 mag if you want to have a light mountain rifle that you may take on an elk hunt or maybe after something bigger one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X