Muzzle Loader Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle Loader Question

Here in Wilson county we have a muzzle loader season so I got a TC Encore a few years back. Really only have done target shooting with it. So if I take it hunting and don’t shoot, then what??? Do you just take out the primer and leave the powder and sabot loaded until next hunt, or do you disassemble the breach plug and push out the powder and sabot? I use pre measured powder charges so I assume I would have to throw those out?

I have no idea. Help.

I have loaded mine on Friday and left it loaded until Sunday with no issue. Just pulled the primer after each hunt. If not used I removed everything before going home. I never had a problem reusing anything. But, mine did not use loose powder. Mine are CVA Wolfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      I have loaded mine on Friday and left it loaded until Sunday with no issue. Just pulled the primer after each hunt. If not used I removed everything before going home. I never had a problem reusing anything. But, mine did not use loose powder. Mine are CVA Wolfs.
      Thanks. I don’t use lose powder either. I use pyrodex pellets. I assume you use this or something similar.

Comment

I unload mine.

All it takes is pffft-pow one time instead of boom.

Comment

I've left powder in mine from one year to the next, with a cap on the nipple.
          It still goes boom.

Comment

I’d probably just pour the powder out and push out the sabot

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              It still goes boom.
              Been doing black powder since 74 and I use to. Wait til you draw down on a nice buck and it goes pow on you.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                It still goes boom.

I’ve seen where guys go weeks but as mentioned you do take a risk

Leave it in for our short MZ season & then just shoot the gun when done

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                  Thanks. I don’t use lose powder either. I use pyrodex pellets. I assume you use this or something similar.
                  I also used pyrodex pellets. Unless they got broken up I reused them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                    I’d probably just pour the powder out and push out the sabot
                    After every hunt and with pyrodex? No need to. And, you risk damaging the plastic around or behind the sabot.

Comment

After every hunt and with pyrodex? No need to. And, you risk damaging the plastic around or behind the sabot.

Asked what i would do, I would remove it all and light oil. Throw the plastic away. It won’t break you financially and seems to be the safest for the firearm and house storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only a matter of time before muzzle loaders will not be needed here during M L season. They will allow straight wall cartridges like La. has done.

Comment

Only a matter of time before muzzle loaders will not be needed here during M L season. They will allow straight wall cartridges like La. has done.

That would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I wish that would be the case.

I already love my 45-70 and hunt with it on occasion.

To the op, I have no idea how long you could leave one loaded. Seems like something to test out in the off season. Try a long weekend and shoot it a couple of times. Then a week and eventually a month. I'd think the pellets should be fairly moisture resistant. JMHO, no first hand knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Slick8; 01-08-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I load mine for the weekend. Remove primer between hunts. I do unload at the end of the weekend if nothing was shot

Comment

Working...
                              X