Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a beef processor near La Grange.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a beef processor near La Grange.

I am thinking of having one of my cows butchered for personal use. I haven't done this before. Any recommendations on places to have it done in that area? Any recent experience on what it will cost to have a 600 to 700 pound cow processed?

Thanks

There is a mobile butcher out of Cameron area. Husband and wife team that travels all ofer Texas. I made a thread of it in April.

Good luck MrHorns

Comment

Kasper's Meat Market in Weimar

Comment

VHR Ranch

As of April they were the only licensed/registered/approved mobile butcher in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          There is a mobile butcher out of Cameron area. Husband and wife team that travels all ofer Texas. I made a thread of it in April.

Good luck MrHorns
          Thanks, just read thru that thread. Certainly a good option. I wonder how that $1 per pound compares to dropping one off at a brick and mortar facility?

Comment

I had a roughly 600lb bull calf butchered last spring. It cost roughly $500 if I recall. Is it a "cow" or a calf just weaned. Or has it been on feed for some time. If just weaned, I would recommend feeding for a while to get more size . It will be more cost effective on cost per pound of processed beef.

Also, generally speaking, the beef will be more tender if the animal is "doing well ", growing and fattening. If just weaned, the stress could cause toughness .

Most slaughterhouses right now probably have a big backlog with the high beef prices and people wanting to keep their own beef, not to mention processing deer as well. You might be put on a waitlist.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
              I had a roughly 600lb bull calf butchered last spring. It cost roughly $500 if I recall. Is it a "cow" or a calf just weaned. Or has it been on feed for some time. If just weaned, I would recommend feeding for a while to get more size . It will be more cost effective on cost per pound of processed beef.

Also, generally speaking, the beef will be more tender if the animal is "doing well ", growing and fattening. If just weaned, the stress could cause toughness .

Most slaughterhouses right now probably have a big backlog with the high beef prices and people wanting to keep their own beef, not to mention processing deer as well. You might be put on a waitlist.
              Thank for the great info. It is a one year old heifer that has some mental/balance problems so I am figuring she won't be able to calve. I plan on fattening her up for a few months before having her processed. Vet was out last year for something else and watched her walk and mentioned she would be a good one to butcher.

Comment

Had a heifer calf butchered out last month. Whole thing made into hamburger and vacuum sealed in 2 lb packs. Was $450 at Vallet Packing House in Edna.

Comment

I just paid $140 for a 1/4 beef, so $5-600 sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                    Thank for the great info. It is a one year old heifer that has some mental/balance problems so I am figuring she won't be able to calve. I plan on fattening her up for a few months before having her processed. Vet was out last year for something else and watched her walk and mentioned she would be a good one to butcher.
                    Yes, if you were to take her to the auction barn, you would most likely be really disappointed with the price. Feeders don't want to buy any "problems". Butcher calf is the best option.

Comment

Yep. Our heifer calf we butchered had a hernia. Would rather butcher her out then give her away for $150.

Comment

If Hallettsville isn't too far, you could give Glen's a shot. I haven't used em for butchering but have been pleased with their steaks and service. I know they stay busy with trailers off loading.

Comment

Since Prause closed in La Grange, I’m not sure who else still does it up there. Kasper in Weimar is a really good option if they have time. Talked to them last year about it and they were pretty backed up. We just had one done at Janak’s outside of Hallettsville and I’ve been very happy with how it came out. I can PM you their price sheet. Came out to $530 for 360 lbs of vacuum packed meat. Maekers in Shiner is also good but is a bit further from you, depending which side of La Grange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
                            Since Prause closed in La Grange, I’m not sure who else still does it up there. Kasper in Weimar is a really good option if they have time. Talked to them last year about it and they were pretty backed up. We just had one done at Janak’s outside of Hallettsville and I’ve been very happy with how it came out. I can PM you their price sheet. Came out to $530 for 360 lbs of vacuum packed meat. Maekers in Shiner is also good but is a bit further from you, depending which side of La Grange.

Good info. Thanks for the PM.

Comment

Good friend of ours raises grass feed beef. They take them to Legacy Meats in Lagrange

Comment

Working...
                              X