Hunting Whitetail Deer in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Whitetail Deer in Kansas

It's been a dream of mine for some time now to make a trip up to Kansas to chase Midwest whitetails. I'm hoping to finally do so for the 2022 or 2023 hunting season. I know a lot of people hunt public land but to learn the ropes I'd like to try an outfitter first just to see what it's like. Was hoping someone could explain the process to me a little better. I do know that you have to apply to draw a tag and that's usually around April. My main question is should I look for an outfitter first and then apply in his unit only or apply in a unit that has a high draw rate and then look for an outfitter? I'd hate to draw and then not be able to find someone. On the other hand I'd also hate to book with an outfitter and then not draw a tag in their unit.

This season there were 0 left over tags statewide so, there really was not a unit that had higher draw rate. I really feel it is heading in the direction of an every other year draw state here soon. I would try and find the outfitter you are wanting to use so you know what unit to put in for. They know going into it that there is a chance that not all of their hunters will draw.

The good news is that if you are unsuccessful in the draw, you will earn a preference point which should guarantee you the tag the next season.

Comment

I can recommend two outfitters in SE kansas that have really good bucks every year and great amenties... they will also give you your 50% deposit back if you don't draw. PM me if you want more details. I'm happy to help all I can

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        This season there were 0 left over tags statewide so, there really was not a unit that had higher draw rate. I really feel it is heading in the direction of an every other year draw state here soon. I would try and find the outfitter you are wanting to use so you know what unit to put in for. They know going into it that there is a chance that not all of their hunters will draw.

The good news is that if you are unsuccessful in the draw, you will earn a preference point which should guarantee you the tag the next season.
        Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll lookin into some outfitters to get something set up for the 2023 season.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
          I can recommend two outfitters in SE kansas that have really good bucks every year and great amenties... they will also give you your 50% deposit back if you don't draw. PM me if you want more details. I'm happy to help all I can
          Sending PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
            Sending PM.
            PM replied

Comment

Kansas is going to go to an every other year state with the crazy amount of people applying. Outfitters are ruining it and booking as many hunters as possible killing every 3 year old they see. The majority Outfitters will just roll your hunt over to the Following year if you don’t draw. If you want to book an outfitter I suggest locking in your rut dates before the draw, if you don’t draw, go the following year.
              Parts of Oklahoma, Missouri and Nebraska are all just as good in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                Kansas is going to go to an every other year state with the crazy amount of people applying. Outfitters are ruining it and booking as many hunters as possible killing every 3 year old they see. The majority Outfitters will just roll your hunt over to the Following year if you don’t draw. If you want to book an outfitter I suggest locking in your rut dates before the draw, if you don’t draw, go the following year.
                Parts of Oklahoma, Missouri and Nebraska are all just as good in my opinion.
                This. I started hunting up there 2008 and you never saw anyone. Now there is someone hunting every 1/4 section and outfitters are ruining Ks. There are still giants in Ks but it’s nothing like it was 10-12 years ago. I actually hope they go the way of Iowa if they want to preserve there deer heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                  This. I started hunting up there 2008 and you never saw anyone. Now there is someone hunting every 1/4 section and outfitters are ruining Ks. There are still giants in Ks but it’s nothing like it was 10-12 years ago. I actually hope they go the way of Iowa if they want to preserve there deer heard.
                  Yes! I was born and raised in Kansas and started bowhunting the first season in 1965. I moved to Texas in 95.
                  Today, a ton of property owners have leased out their land to commercial farming firms and in the process the commercial guys have bought into the hunting lease and or outfitter business. More money for the landowner if done properly. The farming has become fence to fence which takes away traditional deer travel paths due to the wind breaks being gone.
                  Example: The Jones family still owns the sections of prime land but have no say so in allowing old friends to hunt.
                  You can get the job done in Kansas but it's just not the same these days.

Comment

Outfitters and shows are ruining the state. Age class and size are declining.

Comment

Working...
                    X