Trailer light ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer light ?

Is there any way check continuity on a led light to see if it’s burned out ? Rewired it all and don’t have a right blinker or brake lights . I’m pretty sure everything is wired correctly.

I’d bet it’s a ground issue. Can you measure voltage on the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had the same problem, it ended up being the truck. Once a fuse. Another time, it was the computer

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep...check the plug and go from there

Comment

Everything from the plug back is new except the lights . Checked all the connections, no splices . Will check my fuses tomorrow.

Comment

Check ground.
            My boat trailer lights quite working, I replaced everything, including the fuses in the truck.
            Turned out it was a bad ground connection from the pivot point on the folding tongue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had LEDs on trailers that wouldn't ground through the hitch/ball so I had to run a ground wire from the LEDs to the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                I've had LEDs on trailers that wouldn't ground through the hitch/ball so I had to run a ground wire from the LEDs to the plug.

These ground to the frame where the light mounts . I do have a spare wire in my bundle I can use for a ground .

Comment

Trailer light ?

Do you have a test light or voltmeter? If not, you need to get one if you’re going to be dealing with trailer lights. Then you need to check and see if you have power to the light in question. If you have power, the light’s probably bad. If not, you have some other issue. Check to make sure everything is grounded good, and then you can use your test light or volt meter to see if you have power at your plug on your pickup. Working on trailer lights is pretty much a process of elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                    Do you have a test light or voltmeter? If not, you need to get one if you’re going to be dealing with trailer lights. Then you need to check and see if you have power to the light in question. If you have power, the light’s probably bad. If not, you have some other issue. Check to make sure everything is grounded good, and then you can use your test light or volt meter to see if you have power at your plug on your pickup. Working on trailer lights is pretty much a process of elimination.

I have them both . Will have to dig them out .

Comment

Always better to ground through the plug than than through the ball

Comment

I am 67 and......

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                        I’d bet it’s a ground issue. Can you measure voltage on the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I have hauled more cattle, horse, flatbed gooseneck trailers than anyone else I know. I bet 95% of my trailer light problems over the years have been due to bad ground wires!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Always better to ground through the plug than than through the ball

Will give that a shot tomorrow.

Comment

Grounding issues, (95%) of the time. Most lights will have a white lead that will need to be grounded at the mounting point on the trailer. These points of contact to the trailer will get rusty over time and need cleaning. Fuses (3%) will blow while trying to connect up the trailer while your truck light are on. Turn your lights off during this procedure. (2%) of the time I have had to replace the entire light. We have been blessed with LED tech. The old incandescent bulbs were a constant battle 10 fold.

Comment

Originally posted by samj View Post
                              Grounding issues, (95%) of the time. Most lights will have a white lead that will need to be grounded at the mounting point on the trailer. These points of contact to the trailer will get rusty over time and need cleaning. Fuses (3%) will blow while trying to connect up the trailer while your truck light are on. Turn your lights off during this procedure. (2%) of the time I have had to replace the entire light. We have been blessed with LED tech. The old incandescent bulbs were a constant battle 10 fold.

That sums it up pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X