MRAD vs. MOA vs. Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRAD vs. MOA vs. Money

All, I ended up picking up a rifle and I have yet to buy glass for it. In my previous post I spoke about getting 40 percent off of Vortex and 35 percent of of Trijicon and wanted opinions on both. Since then, I have learned that almost every Vortex and Trijicon under the 2000 dollar range is sold out, except for MRAD models.

If you were going to spend 800ish on a scope, would you learn to use MRAD and buy a 1400 dollar model for 800 or just go to a local shop and get a full priced 800 version in MOA.

For sure the $1400 one for $800.

Comment

Really just depends on you honestly? I personally hate MRAD as I grew up with MOA and if it isn't broke I am not gonna fix it. So I personally would get the MOA model because it is what I would want. I am not gonna try and learn a new system when I have 5 other scopes that it wouldn't work on.

But if this is your first or second and you are willing to learn it I say go for it. But I just don't want to relearn a new way of thought for one scope when my next is probably gonna be another MOA model. If you have 40 years of long range shooting using MOA system under your belt probably not wise to get MRAD scope. But if just getting started and learning you really can do either or easily enough.

Comment

If you know MOA go MOA. Seems everyone is switching to MRAD but all my buddies use MOA so it’s what I use and the time factor of lower numbers to use is t a big deal. I also still think I’m ~1” at 100 yards and so on so just makes it easier. But does have its limitations that can all be fixed with a calculator and the appropriate conversions. Gotta wait for the barrel to cool anyways. Do your math then

Comment

I prefer MOA when available bc i know it better and feel better on the fly with it. If you're looking at Vortex, the Razor line is pretty solid but yes, they are backed up. Unless you are needing it now for something, i would wait for MOA, if that's what you like.

Comment

I prefer MOA. Grew up with it, its actually more fine adjustment, and its easy.

Use what you know well.

The issue I'd have, if I had to adjust the scope on the fly, I'd think in MOA since all my other rifle scopes are that way.

I use a 300 win mag for hunting Elk. I know my ballistic chart for that gun like the back of my hand.

If I have a ELK at 500 yards, I would instinctively dial up 9.00 up MOA (Or 36 clicks-1/4 MOA scope), if I had a MRAD scope, I'd have to dial up 2.6 Mrads, or (26 clicks-10 clicks per Mrad) (Yes I looked it up for Mrad).

I don't want to risk a shot by missing since I know MOA well. I'd pay the money to have MOA because thats what I use and know well. (If I knew MRAD well and all my other rifles had MRad scopes, then I would use MRAD)

I'm not saying one is better than the other, they both work. Just make sure you get the one that you are most comfy with.

Side Note: You can buy some range finders that you can program your ballistics into them, and when you range the target, it will tell you how many MOA or MRADS to go up. Again I don't want to risk dialing in the wrong value.
            Last edited by Gemlin; 10-13-2020, 12:16 PM. Reason: Added Range Finder info.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
              If you know MOA go MOA. Seems everyone is switching to MRAD but all my buddies use MOA so it’s what I use and the time factor of lower numbers to use is t a big deal. I also still think I’m ~1” at 100 yards and so on so just makes it easier. But does have its limitations that can all be fixed with a calculator and the appropriate conversions. Gotta wait for the barrel to cool anyways. Do your math then
              Not really many downsides to MOA if you really are precision shooting it is the more accurate and precise scale compared to MRAD. 1/4 MOA adjustment at 1000 is 2.5" 1/10 mil at 1000 is 3.6". At 100 you have .25" with moa and .36" with mils. That is quite a bit of movement difference.

Comment

Mrad is 10x easier. I won’t ever run a dirty moa anything anymore. Think about it like this:
                How many dimes go into $6.60? Easy, 66 right?
                How many quarters go into $6.60? Not as easy. (26 quarters)

Comment

If you are using some type of balistics calculator, Kestrel, etc. You would be fine. I have used borrowed MRAD scopes and not any real issues. However, if you are trying to do things on the fly stay with what you know.

Comment

Yes, it is the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 HSR-5i

Comment

Both systems work the same. Neither are a measurement of distance. Both are angle measurements. MRAD retains value better, offers more optics in MRAD, and are easier to buy and sell. I’d go MRAD based off that alone.

Comment

I got my first scope with MRAD and turrets on it last month. This past weekend was my first time to sight it in.

I knew the difference and couldn't stop thinking MOA. What a slight annoyance as I still made MOA .25 clicks that sent me off paper. Oh well, little more play time with it and it'll be OK.

I'd go bang for buck and get the best scope I could, for the $. If you're dialing you should be keeping a DOPE card anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                          Mrad is 10x easier. I won’t ever run a dirty moa anything anymore. Think about it like this:
                          I will bite...

Think of it this way, I need to move 8 inches at 500 yds to make impact. 500 yds 1 moa is 5 inches, so need to move 1.5 moa or 7.5" up to make that hit. Most Americans brains work in inches at least mine does. That took me longer to type up than it did to actually do the mental math to make it work. How would you do that same math with MRAD?

Comment

Originally posted by jakegraves View Post
                            mrad is 10x easier. I won’t ever run a dirty moa anything anymore. Think about it like this:
                            bingo

Comment

I also have the luxury with mrad that I can only remember one number for elevation corrections. Example, 700 yards with my Dasher is 4.1. I remember 41 in my head and can recite all 100 yard increments out to 1200. Now, If I was using moa, this would be something like 14.75 as well as other 4 digit numbers at each yardage and wouldn’t be able to keep in memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X