For you trailer experts...Bearing Buddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you trailer experts...Bearing Buddies

I have generally always used Bering Buddies on my trailers ...thinking that they are the cat's meow and easier than manually repacking the bearings.

I recently bought a 12' used utility trailer and repacked the bearings and planned on installing Bearing Buddies, BUT...I got to thinking . I don't see how the Bearing Buddies can get the grease to the back bearings. It seems like they will do an excellent job keeping the front bearings lubed, but what about the rear bearings? I don't think the Buddies can force grease back to them.

Help me.

Randy, the grease is pushed to the inside bearing when you fill the buddies. The trick is to check where the outside containment piece is, on a regular basis. If it is deep, you need to check the inside seal and refill with grease.

I personally don't like them as the springs are always pushing toward the inside seal. I much prefer just repacking them once a year or more if I frequently use the trailer.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the BB either. Although I do have some still. Some of the newer hubs have grease zerts on the inside/backside of the hubs. So it makes it easier to add grease, when needed.

Comment

Just repacked my 7,500lb axels yesterday. Had 13,500 miles on trailer since previous pack. They still looked new. Will wait 15,000 until the next packing.
        Just the old school way for me. Heavy duty Moly grease works great. The new back seals were almost $50 for the set of 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have BB on my equipment hauler ? I probably over grease as I hit each axle every trip or two, haven’t seen a better system, I surely don’t trust a oil bath .
          In for the brain trust discussion

Maybe I have the E-Z lube ? https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8
          As my hub covers squirt old grease out till new is coming out
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-27-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            I have BB on my equipment hauler , I probably over grease as I hit each axle every trip or two, haven’t seen a better system, I surely don’t trust a oil bath

The Dexter axles are awesome. My travel trailer has them and this system works great. Grease just comes out the front so you know when they are packed as you will get new grease coming out after the old.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              I have BB on my equipment hauler ? I probably over grease as I hit each axle every trip or two, haven’t seen a better system, I surely don’t trust a oil bath .

I had the on my bass boat for 12+ years and I never had any issues with them. I lubed them twice a year or so and I pumped them full until only clean grease was coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                I have generally always used Bering Buddies on my trailers ...

Is that the Deadliest Catch brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Is that the Deadliest Catch brand?
                  Dadgummit!!! I can’t believe I made a mistake! One of the mods(probably Devin ) must have changed it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Dadgummit!!! I can’t believe I made a mistake! One of the mods(probably Devin ) must have changed it!!!

It's so rare I had to take my shot..

Comment

We always suggest packing the bearings once a year, just do a annual service. I am not a fan of bearing buddies. Dexter EZ lube axle is a nice setup. Northern Tool sells a prelubed hub that has a grease zerk on the back side of the hub. Its not the easiest to get to but it forces grease from the back to the front. The prelubed hub assemblies are getting very popular. Its faster/easier/cheaper for us to use when servicing a trailer. Its also easy to have a complete idler or brake hub in the tool box in case you lose a bearing on the road. I agree with Pilar on the oil bath, we pack those with grease, that has gotten very popular over the last 4-5 years. If you run oil bath, check out Valcrum caps, much better than the standard plastic caps

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                        We always suggest packing the bearings once a year, just do a annual service. I am not a fan of bearing buddies. Dexter EZ lube axle is a nice setup. Northern Tool sells a prelubed hub that has a grease zerk on the back side of the hub. Its not the easiest to get to but it forces grease from the back to the front. The prelubed hub assemblies are getting very popular. Its faster/easier/cheaper for us to use when servicing a trailer. Its also easy to have a complete idler or brake hub in the tool box in case you lose a bearing on the road. I agree with Pilar on the oil bath, we pack those with grease, that has gotten very popular over the last 4-5 years. If you run oil bath, check out Valcrum caps, much better than the standard plastic caps
                        IMO Every trailer should be like any other vehicle on the road and require a annual inspection certificate before it can be licensed for the road , I could start another thread about trailer horror stories.
                        Bad hubs
                        Bearings
                        Wiring
                        Brakes
                        Battery
                        Tires
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-27-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Every trailer I’ve ever bought has needed bearings, some in the first few feet of towing them. I like the bearing buddies for boat trailers as it seems to keep the water out. Tractors and skid steers have made me a serial over-greaser, to the point I question if I’ve blown seals out.
                          Last edited by Txtourist; 09-27-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            It's so rare I had to take my shot..
                            I was just too scared to say anything....

Comment

I like my new set up. Has the back side zerk and the front is easy to do ole fashion pack once a year. My gear is light duty and not used a lot or much distance but not much is worse than a road side repair. at midnight. With expensive gear loaded. And no shoulder. Optimist right?

Comment

Working...
                              X