Legal question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal question.

I'm trying to win an argument. If you're waiting on someone you know is drunk to leave the bar,following them and calling the cops isn't that technically entrapment? I say yes it is. But I'm also not up to date on every law but it sounds like entrapment. If not how is it not?

No one coerced them to go in the bar and get drunk so that they could then arrest them when they leave. Not entrapment.

Entrapment is spelled out in Section 8.06 of the Texas Penal Code as happening whenever “the actor engaged in the conduct charged because he was induced to do so by a law enforcement agent using persuasion or other means likely to cause persons to commit the offense.” The law specifically states that providing an opportunity to commit a crime does not constitute entrapment. In other words, entrapment occurs whenever an individual is enticed to perform an act that he or she otherwise would not have committed.
    Last edited by Pineywoods; 09-24-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Not entrapment.

Entrapment would be if you took him into the bar, got him drunk, then set him on his way, and you were LEO. As an example.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Not entrapment.

Entrapment would be if you took him into the bar, got him drunk, then set him on his way, and you were LEO. As an example.
        Ok so it's basically only if you set someone up to get arrested. Well I guess I was wrong. It sounded like pretty shady behavior any way.LOL

Comment

It's a terrible idea

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
            It's a terrible idea
            That's what I said. I don't condone drinking and driving but if you don't like someone, leave them alone. I know a girl that plans on doing it to her ex boyfriend. She's liable to get slapped around if nothin else because he's gonna know who did it.

I ain't saying he should be drinking and driving but that's pretty messed up. She sure wasn't worried about it before and it's nothin new.
            Last edited by okrattler; 09-24-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

This really escalated quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                This really escalated quickly!
                Yeah that's what I'm sayin. I don't think it's a very good idea.

Comment

I don't care how its reported, if he's drunk he needs to go to jail period.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                    I don't care how its reported, if he's drunk he needs to go to jail period.
                    I can see both sides of it honestly. But given the situation and just trying to ruin someone's life just because.......I don't agree with that. I've met people I didn't necessarily care for that I could do that to but what's the point? How many alcoholics do you know that haven't had multiple DUI's? So instead of wasting my time worrying about what they're doing I'd rather live to be better than what they are.

Just my take on it. I'll probably get grilled for that but that's the way I see it. I don't care enough to put forth that kind of effort.

Comment

Private citizens cannot “entrap”. A LEO is the only person who can entrap someone for a crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yall just go on down to the red dog and get into some weird okie ****

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

so let's sit outside a bar & report every plate as being drunk...

Comment

Nope. What is wrong is if a cop watches a drunk get in a car and drive. Arrest him/her before they have means to hurt someone with their vehicle.

Comment

Driving drunk is wrong and kills. Ruins lives and is senseless. I drink and enjoy my Lyft ride

Comment

Working...
                              X