Help Me Decide.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Decide.....

Looking at my next purchase, and stuck between a 7mm or 300 win mag.

I know the 7mm has about 25% less recoil, and shots flatter at longer distances.

I also know the 300, you can get heavier weight bullets For larger game, ie Moose.

What’s y’all’s thoughts. I have a 30-30 and looking to get a custom 257 Weatherby mag. (And my dads keepsake 30-06).

Thanks

.300 WSM. Nothing a 180gr bullet can't kill in North America

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

300mag for sure. I've owned and shot both. To me the 7 had more felt recoil than the 300. Sweetest 300 I've ever shot was a 300 H&H

Comment

I like 7mag because you can load down or up depending on target species. But on the other hand im a .300wm fanboy so theres always that

Comment

I had a 7mm, it was accurate and flat shooting but lacked knockdown energy. I sent that rifle to APR and it's a 300 WM now.

Comment

I have both, and I’ll say that a 180g at 3000 FPS out of a Win Mag is a hammer. They both have advantages, especially in the BCs. For example the Barnes 145 LRX out of a 7mag at 3000-3100 FPS is super flat with moderate recoil. Either one will kill crap dead as long as you do your part. My opinion is that the 7mag has a better recoil than the 300. I have both and neither of them have brakes, but my 300 Win is probably getting one just cause it can hammer on both ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
              I had a 7mm, it was accurate and flat shooting but lacked knockdown energy. I sent that rifle to APR and it's a 300 WM now.

What did you shoot with the 7mag that it lacked “knockdown power” for?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                What did you shoot with the 7mag that it lacked “knockdown power” for?

I shot Axis, WT, and pigs mostly and had no problem killing with the 7mm, but most were found at the end of a blood trail rather than where they were when I pulled the trigger. I've had more animals DRT from a 300wm, 35 whelen, 338 Fed, and 308 on a normal 10 ring hit.

Comment

I shot Axis, WT, and pigs mostly and had no problem killing with the 7mm, but most were found at the end of a blood trail rather than where they were when I pulled the trigger. I've had more animals DRT from a 300wm, 35 whelen, 338 Fed, and 308 on a normal 10 ring hit.
                  Weird. I hunt with a 243 or 7mm-08 and drop just about everything in their tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Weird. I hunt with a 243 or 7mm-08 and drop just about everything in their tracks.

Lol...same here!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      Maybe one day I'll get there.

The OP asked for an opinion on 7mm vs 300wm and of the two I feel that the 300 packs more punch. I don't know about you but I'm not looking for a magnum caliber to shoot things in the neck or high shoulder, which is where I'd be aiming with the calibers you mentioned. My best guess is that you're not aiming for the lungs with a 243 if you don't want to take a walk to find the animal. I shoot a 7mm-08 more often than not and have no problem putting a bullet wherever I need to, but when I need a magnum rifle the 300wm gets it done for me.
                      Last edited by bloodtrail18; 09-22-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Lol, I’ve been shooting a 7mm mag since 1997, I don’t think I’ve ever had to track an animal. However, nothing at all wrong with the 300, I would probably go there if I were buying a new one.

Comment

If moose is in your future of the two 300wm is the the better choice

Comment

Can’t go wrong either way. Both are over kill for 99% of game IMO

Comment

Wait, what? 7mm Mag not enough knockdown power?? You hunting elephants?

Comment

Working...
                              X