Recommendations for Duck Hunting/ Fishing Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Duck Hunting/ Fishing Boat

So I’ve run my little 14 ft Astro with a Mercury 15 HP boat for the last several years and it’s been great to me. I’ve got 2 boys, 5 and 2, and a wife that we would like to all go out and fish together. I Duck hunt quite a bit and we would mostly be fishing Lake Waco. It’s time to get something a bit bigger and there are just so many daggum options I almost don’t know where to start. Want all weld, deep enough sides that the boys just couldn’t accidentally fall out along with plenty wide to give me a lot more stability. I’ve always just run a tiller motor- what would be the best new set up as far as SC, CC, or another tiller. In all reality most of the time it will be me by myself or the 5 year old with me. Then in a couple of years the 3 of us. And top priority is being set up right for me to duck hunt out of- then just be capable of us all fishing or riding around when everyone wants to go. But trying to plan a little bit long term.

BTW if you’ve got something you are looking to get rid of I have plenty of trade bait between a camper, a ranger and a boat......
    Last edited by em12; 09-06-2020, 06:18 PM.

What’s your limit? If no limit then get the prodigy in the classifieds. If not go on YouTube and watch every video that gator trax boat has ever made. Then take note and order what you want. Don’t buy a factory boat build a custom. Price is very comparable in price but so much more in quality. They are called life time boats for a reason.

Comment

im on the way now to pick up my custom timber creek. 3am pick up. That says service!

Comment

Xpress bay boat

Comment

Based on what you want and the requirements, I'd look at something like this - https://www.boats.com/power-boats/20...marsh-7531672/

Essentially an 18' (minimum) alweld aluminum boat. And given you like the tiller handle, I'd look at a jet outboard. It would make it ideal for putting the boat in the river.

Comment

I had a 1754 excel with 35 mudbuddy. It was probably the best boat I’ve ever owned. They are a little heavy, but stable. I built an aluminum remove-able blind and a wood deck that made a fishing deck for the back of the boat. It was a perfect all around boat. Wish I would of held on to that one.

Comment

16-18 ft flat bottom tunnel hull CC. Hard to beat this set up for versatility, can also flounder gig which I’m sure your kids would enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love my Gator Trax. 18x54 with removable poling platform and bowfishing lights.
                Attached Files

Comment

What would the pro’s and cons be to going with a SC vs a CC? I’ve had tiller just because that was what I had.....

Comment

The consoles take up a bunch of room. I really like having the whole boat open. The tiller is pretty fun to drive too.

Comment

You might want to take a gander at the price of used boats first they are insane right now. If you do decide to pull the trigger xpress makes the best tin boat, war eagle and SeaArk make good ones too, tracker or anything made by white river marine for that matter is junk.

Comment

This rig looks nice. Not sure if he still has it but he’s a good dude to do business with

Comment

I've duck hunted from a 15' tiller, at 17' SC and an 18' CC.

If ducks in most of you plans. Tiller or SC. A center is more to hide and gets in the way when you hunt. Save those for fishing

I ran all of them from open lakes to east matagorda bay. The 17 side console had a 72" beam and was a V hull. With a 50 and tilt and trim it ran plenty shallow and jumped quick. It was wet with the wrong wind but carried a load well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                            What would the pro’s and cons be to going with a SC vs a CC? I’ve had tiller just because that was what I had.....

IMO you'd be happy with either. Lot easier making the ride with your hands on a steering wheel than working the tiller handle. Especially on long runs.

With a CC, you would perfect to set up an ice-chest seat for the kiddos to have a place to sit when traveling.

Downside, you are giving up some space as someone else has already said.

Comment

I have a buddy with a Gator Trax for sale with a mud motor - think he is asking $12k.

Comment

Working...
                              X