Antler damage from cottonseed feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler damage from cottonseed feeders

Have read about antler damage during velvet from cottonseed feeder baskets. Is this really a concern or issue? Any pics of first had accounts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
    Have read about antler damage during velvet from cottonseed feeder baskets. Is this really a concern or issue? Any pics of first had accounts???

I have never seen that happen on Axis or Whitetail. I feed over 30k lbs a year through those feeders.

Comment

It’s a non issue

Comment

Not for us...

Comment

No such thing

Comment

They can damage their antlers in velvet and some do, but it could be caused by going under fences, on a tree branch, etc..... It doesn't happen often because they are really careful with those tender appendages. A lot of times people will see one side of the antlers curving down and call it a cull and most likely they bent the antler without breaking i while it was growing.
            Last edited by bulltx50; 05-25-2021, 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              It’s a non issue
              Yep. This.

Comment

Can happen anywhere on the property. I wouldn’t attribute much to CS feeders if at all... we have them scattered all over our place.

Comment

We had an axis buck rip his antler off in velvet on a cage. The antler was stuck in the cage when we found it.

Comment

Originally posted by antlercollector View Post
                    it’s a non issue
                    100%

Comment

I haven't seen any issues with damage from CS feeders of all shapes and sizes, in several different areas of the state.

5 or 6 years ago I found the only damaged velvet antler I've found, and it was hung up in a hay net we had full of alfalfa for axis. The nets got replaced with troughs shortly after that
                      Attached Files

Comment

^^^Yikes!

Comment

Looks like that was painful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                            I haven't seen any issues with damage from CS feeders of all shapes and sizes, in several different areas of the state.

5 or 6 years ago I found the only damaged velvet antler I've found, and it was hung up in a hay net we had full of alfalfa for axis. The nets got replaced with troughs shortly after that

Dadgum!

Comment

Working...
                            X