glacier national park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glacier national park?

going on vacation to glacier. anyone been there? things to see and do ? thanks

Get up early and drive the going to the sun road. Ask a ranger for side hikes off that road for. I can't remember where, but we hiked to a fair sized alpine lake of that road that was amazing. Saw a Grizzly and a moose on that little side hike.

Comment

Was there 13 years ago. When are you going? I preferred glacier over all other parks in the west. Was not near as crowded.

Comment

Of course the Road to the sun, kayak the lake at the bottom (near the "village" hotel & shops), pick a trail and take off. Don't forget the Huckleberry Ice Cream.

South-East (i think) outside of the park is the Goat Lick. Mountain goats congregate and lick the minerals in the rocks. Ask around about it, or google it maybe.

Goat Lick (link)

If you go over the RTTS to the east side of the park (or drive around out of the park to the east side) there is a little cafe in the little town there, the has Huckleberry cream pie that is THE BOMB. Can't remember the name of it, but there ain't much over on that side so not hard to find.

Edit: Saint Mary is the town
        Last edited by Philip-TX; 03-31-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Do everything being said here. Beautiful area. Bring a rain coat. While your up there in that neighborhood may check out glamping at PawsUp.

**** Idol ( or Idol **** as some used to call him ) has a cool Art shop in Flathead. He was one of the early writers and guides in S. Tx Mexico years back.Its worth a visit.

Dang editor won't even let me use a guys name. See if you can guess
          Last edited by elgato; 03-31-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I booked a fly-fishing trip when I went. Also definitely get some of the hiking trails in, even some of the easy one

Comment

Awesome Place.... When you are up near the top of the Going to the Sun Road it looks like a postcard in every direction. We mostly did a lot of different hikes... I don't remember them all but our favorite was Grinnell Glacier... saw a Grizzly bear, mountain goats, and one BIG bighorn. We also did a horseback trail ride which was ok, but mostly in the thick forest.

If you're staying or will be in Whitefish.... don't miss Loula's Cafe for breakfast and/or Pies.

If you are into custom rifles... Proof Research is in Kalispell... I didn't stop, but saw it was there.

Comment

Run up to Polebridge. You’ll leave the park for a little while on the drive up if you drive from the west end of the park. There’s a little souvenir store and restaurant about 2 miles before Polebridge on the north side of the road. Best Huckleberry pie you’ll ever have, and worth the trip alone. Polebridge is a pretty cool little place as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
                  If you are into custom rifles... Proof Research is in Kalispell... I didn't stop, but saw it was there.
                  You’re thinking Columbia Falls. They’re home to a lot of fine companies such as Proof, Defiance, Mystery Ranch, and a handful of others I know I’m missing.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I went 20 years ago. Did a back country hike of about 40
                      Miles over 5 days. You are in for a treat, Glacier NP is the best. I want to go back.

Comment

In either the lodge or restaurant there is a bighorn mount that is mind-boggling.

Comment

OP my wife and I went to GNP in 2018 as part of our honeymoon road trip. We drove 5400 miles in 19 days, and hit 8 national parks if you include the 3 we hit in Canada. Out of all the parks I’ve been to, and all the parks we hit on that trip, GNP was by far our favorite. We didn’t get to see as much of it as we’d have liked, but we spent 3 full days there before heading north to Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay. We’re currently trying to figure out a family vacation that makes another stop (but longer) in GNP.

Comment

My wife and I are going at the end of June. Tagged. What is the name of the cafe in St. Mary? Our neighbors are both 80+ and "go to that little cafe in St. Mary" was the first thing they told us when we told them we were going to Glacier.

Comment

Originally posted by lars View Post
                              My wife and I are going at the end of June. Tagged. What is the name of the cafe in St. Mary? Our neighbors are both 80+ and "go to that little cafe in St. Mary" was the first thing they told us when we told them we were going to Glacier.
                              Did some google'n and it looks like Johnson's Cafe is the place I was talking about. On the East side of the road, w/ RV park up on the hill, IFR. We were there at the end of May a cpl yrs ago, so it wasn't tourist season. We went on a rainy afternoon with other park options limited by weather.

I DO regret not going into Canada, (only 20 miles away) but we were pressed on time. Take your passport, just in case. Supposed to be beautiful up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X