No announcement yet.

Crazy Bear Kill Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The yahoo story is pretty bungled up. It’s the guys from Stuck N the Rut on YouTube. They are some pretty skilled and accomplished hunters. This is definitely not their first bear hunt, they’ve killed numerous with a bow spot and stalk hunting. The story would probably be a lot more understandable if it was told by them and not some journalist that hasn’t ever even been around hunting before.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      They claimed to be on a black bear hunt, in a area that is full of large brown bears. The whole story seems to be about hunting brown bears. For some reason they wanted to claim they were on a black bear hunt and not a brown bear hunt, not sure why. To me, it sounds like if you are going hunting bears in that area, you are there after big brownies, not black bears.
      I think the black bear/brown bear references are just bad journalism.

Everything about the hunt from the tag drawing, guide requirement to other details of the hunt sound like a brown bear hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        Brown bear...they don't require you to take the meat.

Read that story yesterday, it says black bear a couple times, and brown bear a couple times...pretty sure that was a brownie.
        You are also not required to keep black bear meat in Alaska in the fall as the bears have been feeding on salmon.

Comment

Thanks for sharing MrDangerrrrr.

Im curious to know what rifle and bolt design the hunter was using.

Comment

Yahoo screwed the pooch with that story.

I’m new to this forum, but was over on FF before it went under, so most of y’all don’t know I moved up here to AK in 2016 after spending most of the rest of my life around Sam Rayburn (Nac and then Huntington).

It was a spring brown bear hunt over off the AK Peninsula. That’s the big long Peninsula west of kodiak. It’s the same latitude at kodiak, and has just as big of bears, without the notoriety that kodiak has.

It boils down to these buffoons shot a giant brown bear, 10’ plus, from 470 yards away and almost died for it. Professional guides typically have about a 100 yard max range for clients, and I don’t know any seasoned AK residents that would shoot at a big boy from more than 200 yards away. Yes, they obviously had the skill set to make the shot as they did hit lungs at that range, but at that range they don’t have the perceived “knockdown” from the bullet. Not only is that a function of energy, but how hard the round hits.

I know someone will ask: AK requires guides for nonresidents for brown bear, goats, and sheep. Brown bears have no meat salvage requirement, ever. Black bear meat has to be salvaged in may during the spring season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

daamn i need a woman that can haul out a 100# pack 8 miles.. lol

Comment

"They closed in on the bear they'd spotted from the beach 8 miles below."

They're very good at spotting...

Comment

Originally posted by Wigeon Kryp2nit View Post
                  Yahoo screwed the pooch with that story.

I’m new to this forum, but was over on FF before it went under, so most of y’all don’t know I moved up here to AK in 2016 after spending most of the rest of my life around Sam Rayburn (Nac and then Huntington).

It was a spring brown bear hunt over off the AK Peninsula. That’s the big long Peninsula west of kodiak. It’s the same latitude at kodiak, and has just as big of bears, without the notoriety that kodiak has.

It boils down to these buffoons shot a giant brown bear, 10’ plus, from 470 yards away and almost died for it. Professional guides typically have about a 100 yard max range for clients, and I don’t know any seasoned AK residents that would shoot at a big boy from more than 200 yards away. Yes, they obviously had the skill set to make the shot as they did hit lungs at that range, but at that range they don’t have the perceived “knockdown” from the bullet. Not only is that a function of energy, but how hard the round hits.

I know someone will ask: AK requires guides for nonresidents for brown bear, goats, and sheep. Brown bears have no meat salvage requirement, ever. Black bear meat has to be salvaged in may during the spring season.

Should have been using a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    Should have been using a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Instant death ray machine right there.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      daamn i need a woman that can haul out a 100# pack 8 miles.. lol
                      May want to see her first.....

Comment

Dang..I would've ripped that bolt off with that monster running at me all crazy!

Comment

Cool story, but you know what we say....without pics.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tough animals. Makes a great story now.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              May want to see her first.....
                              When the sun goes down looks dont matter. She can obviously handle meat during daylight.

Sounds like May Alaskan Black bear is the berry bear meat Ive been looking for.

Comment

Crazy

Comment

Working...
                                X