Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of y'all live near the new Bois d'Arc Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read they are trying to follow a Lake Fork model closely for the fishing and stocking but havent heard much else. Assuming they left a lot of timber uncut?

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
      I worked over there near it. At times it was an adventure pulling heavy trailers and dodging pot holes on the road that cut across. There’s a smaller lake going in not far from there. Haven’t kept up with the progress of either.
      Haven't heard of the smaller lake? Have anymore details?

Comment

I hear ya. I’m not trying to belittle anyone or their circumstances. I’ve dealt with development and property issues due to the development. Some good, some that sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It is a problem without a good solution - or at least there's no solution that won't screw somebody. It's easy to say "too many people are moving here" but how exactly do you stop it? Does the government not allow landowners to sell to developers anymore? That's a property rights issue just like eminent domain to build a lake is a property rights issue.

When you look at the Texas drought timeline it does seem that we are probably overdue for another extended one. If I remember right - depending on the month - 1/3 to 1/2 pf residential water usage is lawn and landscaping. Maybe cities need to outlaw turfgrass altogether like they do in parts of Arizona and California (how do you think that will go over?)

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            Haven't heard of the smaller lake? Have anymore details?
            I forgot the name. Only way I found out was after seeing a sign up. Will try to look it up.

Edit:
            Here ya go.

U.S. Representative Ralph Hall isn't dead. The Rockwall Republican hasn't even left Congress, forging ahead in a Bob Barker-like battle against the ravages of the time. Despite all that, Hall is now the namesake of a reservoir. Lake Ralph Hall hasn't actually been built yet. The project, planned for 12,000...
            Last edited by Katsaregood; 05-06-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              It is a problem without a good solution - or at least there's no solution that won't screw somebody. It's easy to say "too many people are moving here" but how exactly do you stop it? Does the government not allow landowners to sell to developers anymore? That's a property rights issue just like eminent domain to build a lake is a property rights issue.

When you look at the Texas drought timeline it does seem that we are probably overdue for another extended one. If I remember right - depending on the month - 1/3 to 1/2 pf residential water usage is lawn and landscaping. Maybe cities need to outlaw turfgrass altogether like they do in parts of Arizona and California (how do you think that will go over?)
              Many of the local rural water districts put out ads in the paper warning people that just because you purchase property inside the water district, doesn’t guarantee you will be provided water service.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                I hear ya. I’m not trying to belittle anyone or their circumstances. I’ve dealt with development and property issues due to the development. Some good, some that sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I apologize for singling you out there. I’m pretty passionate about this particular topic and should of just left it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                  I saw a pretty neat documentary on this lake being built a few years ago. Not sure on the name of it but it was mainly about a guy who was losing his land and taking a canoe trip down Bois d'Arc creek and how all the land was soon going to be underwater. Guess it all is now. progress sucks for most people. Others get rich off of it.

found the video. its pretty interesting if you have 30 minutes to kill. It gives a little insight on the people who lost land for the lake

A self-produced documentary film about a creek that will be lost to development

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                    I’m sure it wasn’t exciting to the folks who lost good land so that Dallas could water yards in July and August.
                    Yup!! Load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      They have all the signs up, but I haven't driven over the bridge since they closed the gates.

I had my property appraised about a month ago, and appraiser said 40 ac track by boat ramps just sold for $40k/ACRE!!! Some got compensated bigtime.
                      That's about the going rate for the best stuff over there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        They have all the signs up, but I haven't driven over the bridge since they closed the gates.

I had my property appraised about a month ago, and appraiser said 40 ac track by boat ramps just sold for $40k/ACRE!!! Some got compensated bigtime.
                        There weren't any penny on the dollar exchanges. There were several the built houses knowing the lake would be built simply to force them to buy the house as well. They bought whole properties. It sucks to lose family land, I get that. At the time of purchase, they were buying the land for two to three times market value per acre. The 15,000 acre Riverby Ranch being used for mitigation was purchased for 35 million.
                        Last edited by Chad C; 05-06-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

The ones that ended up with land around the lake are making a fortune, unlucky souls that lost land in the middle got the shaft. We’ve been working around the lakes outskirts for a while now with real estate companies cleaning up properties for resale. $40k n acre sounds to be about the average price but one agent said their holding out until they start really building around it and shooting for $80k in a year or two.

Comment

Funny how all of those Land Owners want 40K/acre now. Spent the last 3-4 weeks driving around out there to look at buying some of this "My way of Life" property for upcoming retirement. Saw a few people that had nice places, but by and large it was methbilly property.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                              found the video. its pretty interesting if you have 30 minutes to kill. It gives a little insight on the people who lost land for the lake

https://vimeo.com/13195858
                              Tagged to watch later. Russell Graves used to be a TBH'er. Not sure if he's still on here.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                                Funny how all of those Land Owners want 40K/acre now. Spent the last 3-4 weeks driving around out there to look at buying some of this "My way of Life" property for upcoming retirement. Saw a few people that had nice places, but by and large it was methbilly property.
                                Look in California, probably more your style.

Comment

Working...
                                X