No announcement yet.

Do you/will you shoot pregnant does?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I was just interested in seeing what the consensus was on this.
    My grandfather was the old mind set if you kill a doe you kill a buck.
    I think killing does is a vital part of a population control.
    And GOOD EATS!

Comment

I’ve never been able to get a doe to stand still long enough let me test her and then shake the the little test thingy and wait for the plus or minus sign.

I just shoot them now. I don’t gut deer so I have no idea if they are prego or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        I do understand that every single doe that is capable will be bred. That's the point. Nothing in nature is guaranteed but why not do what you can and then let it play out? If I have 10 bucks on my place and 20 does. I need to kill 10 does this season. 1 of my bucks has great genetics. You're correct, he may or may not breed any of my does. But if he does why would I want to take a chance on shooting her? If I shoot my does pre-rut the odds are in my favor that he will still breed at least 1 and the chances of me killing her are ZERO. If you shoot post rut and he DID breed (most likely did) then you might have killed off his genetics with 1 shot. Like I said, it's all a matter of your goals. If big bucks are your goal you have to use every advantage you have to try to grow one and killing off does post-rut is counter-productive. If you're in the crowd that just wants to control numbers you might as well wait until they are all bred and shoot all your does then.
        How do you know the doe you shoot pre-rut isn't carrying the big buck gene from a 200" deer? asking for a friend

Comment

We're not allowed to shoot does on my lease. So I guess I don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            How do you know the doe you shoot pre-rut isn't carrying the big buck gene from a 200" deer? asking for a friend

You don’t which is the point. You can only work with what you know.

Think about this

You own a fence with 20 does in it. You plan to get rid of 5 of them. Your neighbor has a 200” breeder buck that he offers to put with your does for a while. Do you get rid of 5 of your does before he puts his buck with them or after? He’s not going to breed all 20 so you might not get rid of one he’s bred anyway right?

Comment

LOL whatever you say...
              D Mo is 100% correct. You're talking some silly crap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 12-03-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                D Mo is 100% correct. You're talking some silly crap.

I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

Comment

haha

Comment

Two more things....if you kill the does early you take the pu nahni out that attracts the bucks during rut.

In central Texas if you don't shoot does with babies how do you get meat? They all got twins. Lol.

Comment

I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.
                      It's actually quite the opposite.

Comment

It's actually quite the opposite.

Put on some heavy metal and smoke some more weed and I’m sure it’ll come to you.

Comment

Put on some heavy metal and smoke some more weed and I’m sure it’ll come to you.
                          The metal I can do. Haven't smoked in awhile.

Like Chad said. It's not worth arguing over. None of it is an exact science.

Comment

The metal I can do. Haven't smoked in awhile.

Like Chad said. It's not worth arguing over. None of it is an exact science.

That I can agree with you on.

Comment

What if the does daddy was a 200” buck? I’m so confused [emoji2359]

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear on what we did....

We were MLD 3 and required to kill X number of does per year. We didn't want to chance killing any does that could have been bred by our top bucks so we tried to kill all our does pre-rut. The top bucks would still breed during the rut and we didn't chance killing the does they bred.
                                What do ya'll do to prevent killing the does with the best genetics?

Comment

Working...
                                X