Supplemental Nutrition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplemental Nutrition

Due to the fact half of our members do not care to feed protein, what do you think is the best/cheaper option I can provide for a little more nutrition or attraction than corn, we have plenty of water already? Protein bucket if they will take, alfalfa bale or mineral lick? Have had a little success with DIY licks. In Menard county with lots of rock so good plots aren’t really an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cheap protein pellet from co-op. mix with corn to help them eat it! 80-20.

Comment

cotton seed is a cost effective alternative, especially when bought in bulk.

Comment

IMO feeding just a little protein will not get much result. Needs to be available in quantity to do any good.

Comment

Buy blocks and a feeder/dispenser that will hold 3 or 4 at a time. Easy to maintain, they get a little added protein and you have something special at your setup to draw them in.

Comment

We use cotton seed in menard. The deer love it along with alfalfa bales

Comment

If you are competing with your own lease members then truthfully there is not much you can do IMO - you may feed cottonseed or protein and that same deer will walk over to your lease members corn feeder and get shot. Either all are on board or nobody is on board - good luck to you

Comment

If you are just trying to attract, nothing beats corn. If you are trying to improve the overall herd then protein in massive doses is what needs to be done. What are your other members objection to feeding protein? If it’s cost, look into cottonseed.

Comment

I started putting out blocks last week, problem is they eat a whole block in one day. I put one up in the yard and the other night I had 11 bucks in my back yard fighting over it. I can't afford a block a day but they sure like em'!

Comment

If you want to spend the money feeding protein get on a place with like minded people.

There is no reason to:
                    1) throw your money away in an ineffectual pursuit
                    2) subsidize others who haven't helped by whatever little effect you create.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      I started putting out blocks last week, problem is they eat a whole block in one day. I put one up in the yard and the other night I had 11 bucks in my back yard fighting over it. I can't afford a block a day but they sure like em'!

What block were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found the berry flavored blocks at Tractor supply to be one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by DK1555 View Post
                          Due to the fact half of our members do not care to feed protein, what do you think is the best/cheaper option I can provide for a little more nutrition or attraction than corn, we have plenty of water already? Protein bucket if they will take, alfalfa bale or mineral lick? Have had a little success with DIY licks. In Menard county with lots of rock so good plots aren’t really an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Do not know where you hunt and Im not against feeding protein, however a good food plot will feed a lot more deer, for a lot longer than a bin of protein and it is less expensive. Thus freeing up funds for other things pertaining to deer hunting.

Tractor supply had some Elk and deer feed that was very good. I used it when I fed protein back in the day.

Comment

On our smaller place with heavy pressure around us we do cotton see from January through August and plant foodplots. Foodplots don’t do great most of the years because of the amount of rain. The cotton seed seems to get the weight back on the bucks quick after the rut and the does look a lot better during fawning season so it helps out in the crucial times.

Comment

Working...
                            X