Rough Idle ‘14 f150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Idle ‘14 f150

2014 f150 v8 5.0…. Got towed home, died while pulling a trailer. Wouldn’t start. Replaced ignition coils and speak plugs. Now it will start but runs at a rough idle, then dies. Not sure where to go next. my dad thinks it may be a possible faulty camshaft position sensor??? Just trying to figure out a path to go next as far as trouble shooting. Thank you for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rough Idle ‘14 f150

There is a slight knocking as well at idle. More a tick than a knock

Comment

CE light on? Vacuum leak?

Comment

Rough Idle ‘14 f150

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        CE light on? Vacuum leak?

CE light is on. Had random misfire code and cylinder 4. It also has 2 O2 sensor codes.

Possible vacuum leak. Have not tested that yet

Comment

Check fuel pressure. Move a coil and see if misfire moves. O2 codes are probably because the fuel trims are out of bounds do to poor running.

Comment

Unbolt the cats at the exhaust manifold and let the pipes hang down an inch or so and fire it up and see if it runs any better. Quick way to see if your cats are coming apart and plugging up your exhaust causing the rough idle. I'd also recommend checking fuel pressure as stated above. If that all checks out you need to get access to a scanner with live data capability and monitor your cam phasers to see if they're shot or not.

Comment

Rough Idle ‘14 f150

Originally posted by Bmarsh9 View Post
              Unbolt the cats at the exhaust manifold and let the pipes hang down an inch or so and fire it up and see if it runs any better. Quick way to see if your cats are coming apart and plugging up your exhaust causing the rough idle. I'd also recommend checking fuel pressure as stated above. If that all checks out you need to get access to a scanner with live data capability and monitor your cam phasers to see if they're shot or not.

Thanks I have a mechanic buddy from ford I can probably get it to for diagnostics if needed. He is my call tomorrow. I thought it might be the cam phasers but thats out of my normal knowledge

Last edited by Tshelly; 08-21-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

My 2011 did all kinds of stuff like that and caused me to change plugs and coils then started throwing 420 and 430 codes. I'd clear them and they'd come back. Replaced 2 catalytic converters and 4 oxygen sensors. Still throwing 420 and 430 codes with random misfire codes. Replaced the MAF and cleared all codes and ran great for 5 months.

Just had a dead battery and now the 420 and 430 codes are back. Going to drive it around a little and see if it resets them itself before I do anything. Still is running normal so don't think it's anything other than the dead battery triggering something in the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  My 2011 did all kinds of stuff like that and caused me to change plugs and coils then started throwing 420 and 430 codes. I'd clear them and they'd come back. Replaced 2 catalytic converters and 4 oxygen sensors. Still throwing 420 and 430 codes with random misfire codes. Replaced the MAF and cleared all codes and ran great for 5 months.

Just had a dead battery and now the 420 and 430 codes are back. Going to drive it around a little and see if it resets them itself before I do anything. Still is running normal so don't think it's anything other than the dead battery triggering something in the computer.

Thanks!! I’m going to do some more trouble shooting tomorrow.

Comment

My 04 did that once. It was a variable timing solenoid. By the time I fixed it, I had ruined my o2 sensors. My first guess was the camshaft sensor on mine too. The vts goes in the valve cover and was a easy replacement.

Comment

I had that issue in my '14 ecoboost. Replaced some coils, O2 sensor, plugs and a couple other little things. Turned out to be a bad battery.

Comment

Battery was good. Tends to be more of a firing issue and timing.

Comment

I fought this on the last F150 I had. Took it to multiple shops, and dealership. None of them ever figured it out. Wound up getting rid of the truck. I hope you have better luck than I did getting it sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                            I fought this on the last F150 I had. Took it to multiple shops, and dealership. None of them ever figured it out. Wound up getting rid of the truck. I hope you have better luck than I did getting it sorted out.
                            Same here.

Comment

Rough Idle ‘14 f150

Comment

Working...
                              X