Kansas hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas hunting question

I have a coworker that has invited me to hunt Mule deer on his family land in west Kansas. I have looked online and tried to figure out if this is a draw or if I can buy over the counter license. It is very confusing on how everything is worded. I have asked him but he is really not a hunter. He is also looking into it but he is not savvy on all the workings for hunting out of state. I would think if it is private land I could get over the counter. Any one hunt Kansas and have a better idea?

If you're a nonresident of Kansas, I'm pretty sure you just missed your chance to apply for a tag this year. I think the deadline to apply was the 29th.

Comment

It is a draw only and the application expired last month. Very limited quota for mule deer and not easy to draw for a Non-resident.

Comment

you missed deadline by a few days to apply for a tag

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
          If you're a nonresident of Kansas, I'm pretty sure you just missed your chance to apply for a tag this year. I think the deadline to apply was the 29th.
          Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          It is a draw only and the application expired last month. Very limited quota for mule deer and not easy to draw for a Non-resident.
          Originally posted by James View Post
          you missed deadline by a few days to apply for a tag
          Dang it that is not what I wanted to hear fellas. LOL....I was pretty sure I knew the answer but was holding out hope. Well I guess we will get in on the draw next year and start getting some points.

Comment

Draw only and it can be tough. They shoot sone monsters in W Kansas so start making plans for 2023. Incredible opportunity, especially if it is near some irrigated ag land.

Comment

Originally posted by Muygrande View Post
              Draw only and it can be tough. They shoot sone monsters in W Kansas so start making plans for 2023. Incredible opportunity, especially if it is near some irrigated ag land.
              Yes sir it is. It is all his families farm land. We most definitely will start planning. May even make a trip up just to check it out.

Comment

Do you know if they have Landowner Tags? Check into that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
                  Do you know if they have Landowner Tags? Check into that as well.
                  From what I understand is that no longer applies. Am I missing something?

Comment

No landowner tags. All draw. The draw next year will prompt you to a Mule Deer upgrade…. You may draw WT and not get the Mule deer stamp

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
                      No landowner tags. All draw. The draw next year will prompt you to a Mule Deer upgradeā€¦. You may draw WT and not get the Mule deer stamp
                      So if I take the WT do I lose the point for the MD? I would not mind killing a big Kansas booner WT either.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                        So if I take the WT do I lose the point for the MD? I would not mind killing a big Kansas booner WT either.
                        Just be aware that western Kansas deer are scarcer in number than most parts of the state and booner deer are few and far between. Most of the hunting shows on Tv fail to paint an accurate description of this and viewers get the wrong impression. Western Ks. deer are spooky as all get out, especially after the pheasant and quail season opens. Keep a positive attitude but have realistic expectations and you can have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                          Just be aware that western Kansas deer are scarcer in number than most parts of the state and booner deer are few and far between. Most of the hunting shows on Tv fail to paint an accurate description of this and viewers get the wrong impression. Western Ks. deer are spooky as all get out, especially after the pheasant and quail season opens. Keep a positive attitude but have realistic expectations and you can have a blast.
                          Oh im totally realistic and am the person that expects to shoot nothing. LOL....We will have a great time no matter what. A deer will just be the icing on the cake if we get one. They rarely hunt this place so im somewhat optimistic about it. I guess we will see if we can get drawn in the next few years.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I figured I knew the answer I just wasnt sure.

Comment

If you have the time, I would make a scouting trip during season just to get an idea of what the hunting will be like. The deer will be using the same trails/areas next season as they will this season. Will give you realistic expectations, and you won't be going in completely blind when you do draw.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X