No announcement yet.

Oh Canada 2022 with a little West Texas mixed in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishing you success, Gary. Bring it home.

Comment

Get after it Gary!!!! I think a new bow case is in order for me as well. Have fun!!

Comment

15 yards is mighty close!

Comment

Day two was painfully slow. So much we moved to pork mule tag zone and Kevin’s brother Greg Stalked a 170 class mule deer all day as I napped and glassed from Hutterites wheat field when I want visiting with one of the Hutterite ranch managers. I saw 6 mule deer , 3 elk and witnessed a grizzly stalking calves and cows (unsuccessfully).

Today was filled with cold rain and sleet and 20-40 mile winds. We stayed in field from daylight until 6:30 PM and was actually covered up with elk all day. 3 legal bulls , spike and 9 cows. Bedded 5x6 and cows down and stalked to 80 yards before cow busted us. I was at full draw , but he didn’t offer ethical shot me.

Later and 1 Mile climb later we found them bedded again and cow called them inside 70 yards 3 times. First time I had him broadside 59 yards but brush blocked his vitals. Second time had shot in pouring rain at 65 and missed left off his left brisket. Not sure what happened. 3rd attempt I called him in for Greg at 57 yards but it was straight on and Greg didn’t take shot.

Everything I wore is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Pullin' for you!

Comment

Glad you guys have had some opportunities.

Comment

Yesterday was slow as only saw 2 elk up until 6:30. Found herd feeding in area we had no access too the bordered same owners land we did have access too (all but three valleys around house can be hunted as he saves that for his two sons and himself (one son actually hunted with us Saturday. )

We hiked in hard 1 hour to see if we could pull them our way in last 45 minutes of legal light. Found them and 3 legal bulls. We were able to call a satellite (not herd bull) our way and had him inside 80 yards before he circled us and caught our scent

Maybe best shape of my life and still struggling to keep up with Kevin. He was already better hiker and now lost 20 lbs training for year for northwest territory Dall sheep hunt. The 3 bulls were bugling like crazy !

Yesterday we had hour power hike uphill. His brother and I had 200 yard head start. He passed us 30’min in and ended up 1000 yards ahead , never stopping while we stopped 6 times to catch breath. Finding altitude and oxygen cannot easily be trained for on texas Gulf coast. .

Back on them this morning in hiking in before sunlight. Found them less than 800 yards from last night. They responded , but did come into range.

Hiked out as Kevin’s daughter 21st bday today and we drive to Lethbridge where she goes to university. Also picked up Kevin’s dall sheep.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Heck of a time! And nice ram too! Here's to seal-n the deal tomorrow.

Comment

Always tomorrow, except on the last day!

Nice curl on his ram.

Comment

Four bulls and Ton cows again this evening ,but nothing responding to calls.

Tired us an understatement after making to trips in and out and 5 early walk ups to this point. 3 more days left. Hoping tomorrows cloud and rain turns them on all day.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Time to stop slacking off and kill something. I need some elk meat [emoji16].

Comment

Come on, boss! Show us some LDPs.

Comment

Another great day filled with elk , but no shot opportunities. 3 bulls this morning and one inside 200 yards. This evening another run in with 2 herds and 3 bulls. Called one inside 70 yards but Greg didn’t feel comfortable taking shot.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Got into 3 bulls last night. Went back to same spot, hiking in hour in dark -!and while the first bull wasn't where we left him , we saw the second herd which had a big herd bull that would be shoulder mount. 2 hours straight up and 3 miles later we were above them with good wind. With them bedded for day we contemplated stalking them , or eating lunch and taking nap. With so many cows in herd we too lunch and nap option.

4 pm we made our move and cut them off headed into ranchers cut alfalfa field (where we saw them enter prior night ). Wind was perfect pumping 20 mph from southwest. Spread out and set up the bull is screaming above is now less than 80 yards above us in trees , rounding up cows into the field.

100% sure it was going down for one of us three. No sooner did I think this then wind swirled over my neck for 10-20 seconds and one minute later I hear the bull now 150 yards and moving west.

At this point we were committed and followed them away from truck another mile before time and energy ended our day.

1.5 hours (mostly downhill ) and back to truck.

One more day and hopefully a few more years in these knees and back, as this is hard **** for an aging flat lander !

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Working...
                                X