IMHO, dove outfitters are some of the worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Well, i guess this is more the norm than not honestly. For me I tend not to hunt until cooler weather, so dove is not high on my September list especially when out west is calling in August & September for big game. Full disclousure, I aint that mad at doves either......in other words birds are not my passion like many others on TBH. I am scheduled for G2 Ranch https://g2ranch.com/dove-hunting/ next weekend with SCI but not overly certain I will go.....cool front will be my decision maker! Once i learned about Argentina I don't even consider dove here an option. Cheap, direct flights, incredible accommodations, good food and more birds (dove, parrot and pigeons) than I would ever want to shoot at. I never shoot all 3 days down there........2 days is waaaaay more than i can stand......lol!
    Prior to where we are hunting now. We use to hunt the G2 back before it was that. Right where your going to stay at the lodge used to be and old brick house. With a little carport behind it for cleaning doves. Me and my dad sat under it one day and it was raining so hard you could barely see the dove. We shot our limits in about 30mins right there. All of the doves where coming out of the fields down in the bottomn back behind it and flying up into the mesquites around the house. This was about 15yrs ago now before Don built it up to what it is now. Ive only driven by it now and its crazy what it has become. Some of the best dove hunts of my life where back behind that place and over toward his deer pens and back to the old cook shack.

The sticker shock on shells has me scared of Argentina but its on my list one day.

Comment

Well, i guess this is more the norm than not honestly. For me I tend not to hunt until cooler weather, so dove is not high on my September list especially when out west is calling in August & September for big game. Full disclousure, I aint that mad at doves either......in other words birds are not my passion like many others on TBH. I am scheduled for G2 Ranch https://g2ranch.com/dove-hunting/ next weekend with SCI but not overly certain I will go.....cool front will be my decision maker! Once i learned about Argentina I don't even consider dove here an option. Cheap, direct flights, incredible accommodations, good food and more birds (dove, parrot and pigeons) than I would ever want to shoot at. I never shoot all 3 days down there........2 days is waaaaay more than i can stand......lol!
      I wouldn't call Argentina "cheap", but yea, it pretty much ruins dove hunting elsewhere.

Comment

What do you expect? Every weekend warrior goes and buys a shotgun and a case of beer, and then wants to drive 20 minutes from the city and shoot a limit on opening day for $50. They flock to an overgrown field that the "guide" absolutely swears was loaded with birds the other day. The 100 people in the 20 acre field commence to get drunk, ride 4 wheelers, yell at the half lab/half pitbull they just got, and shoot at anything that moves, including each other. A few will get lucky and kill a few doves to post on the internet, thus affirming their baller status. This leads even more weekend warriors to want to try their hand at the shenanigans, which the "guide" is more than happy to oblige. If you really want fun dove hunts you go lease your own field, go to south america, or find the unicorn outfitter that actually runs a smooth operation. Hint, neither are cheap...

Comment

I hunted G2 last weekend. First class operation all the way. Nice accommodations, friendly staff, excellent food, and down to Earth owners. I’ve never been to Argentina, but a couple guys that hunted with me have. Friday afternoon we saw at least a million dove come into that sunflower field. All 90 hunters shot easy limits Friday and Saturday afternoon. This place is probably the closest you will get to Argentina.

Comment

I called a couple of outfitters before the season and asked, and each of them told me not to bother - they had no birds to speak of. So I put it off. Sure wanted to go though.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              I've done that. Killed a limit one time, but, in general it's a of people and not many birds.
              So, not much different than an outfitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                So, not much different than an outfitter?
                Pretty much.

Comment

Dry creek is a good outfit.

Unfortunately there are so many bad outfits out there these days. I think social media has made it so easy for people to get burned. Alot of outfits don't have the land or money to run quality hunts day in and day out. But they just show their highlight reels and give the illusion of a quality hunt suckering people in just to get burned.
                  Last edited by CTR0022; 09-06-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I’ve always had good luck on the southern public dove fields. If limits were not shot it’s probably cause your rusted which is usually the case for me the first couple times out. I have had some hunts go not so well for weather or fields over grown but birds were always around. Week day hunts are better. especially mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      I paid $600 for 5 people to shoot 4 birds about 2 years ago, and I think 5 shells were shot; so it wasn't like we were missing a lot. Never again.
                      That breaks down to about $1400/lb of meat factoring shells, gas, food, license, cost to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                        That breaks down to about $1400/lb of meat factoring shells, gas, food, license, cost to hunt
                        That's almost as much as a wagyu brisket.

Comment

Where in Argentina do you hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Where in Argentina do you hunt?
                            Posta Del Norte! They are a ORVIS rated lodge but very reasonable. I also went to another place but cant remember the name. It was also nice but not like these folks.

Comment

Build relationships with the outfitters you want to hunt with.

Comment

There are some good ones. THE ONE TO AVOID: Alan Mooreshouse. This sorry sucker runs hunts out of the Waco area.

What a ****. Actually took us to a field that he did not have under contract. Owner showed up and the fireworks started. Other time had hunters spaced 15-yards apart on a field too small.

Comment

Working...
                                X