No announcement yet.

Semi-live PCT thru hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang. I’m sitting about 5 miles from Sierraville right now visiting family. If I’d been here a few days sooner I would have gladly given you a ride. Good call on skipping the Dixie burn scar. Super sad the massive devastation from that fire.
    Thanks for taking us along on this bucket list trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

really enjoying following along , thanks for taking us along!

Comment

We are posted up a Crater Lake at moment. A fire above us (18 miles north) has trail closed for several miles. Back in cali/Oregon bother there is a big fire. Lots of hikers evacuated yesterday off trail. We are waiting to see what this fire does.

Comment

WTG Brandon
          Norm here just checking on my 2coolfishing site...keep trekking

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            We are posted up a Crater Lake at moment. A fire above us (18 miles north) has trail closed for several miles. Back in cali/Oregon bother there is a big fire. Lots of hikers evacuated yesterday off trail. We are waiting to see what this fire does.
            Hopefully they get it taken care of and it doesnt change your plans

Comment

A little update. Due to fire interruptions we did a big bounce. We jumped off PCT near Bend and hit the Oregon Coast. We needed a hiking break and we both never have seen the Oregon Coast before. Well worth it… beautiful. We are now off coast and in Troutdale Oregon for the Billy Strings show. After these, we go back to hiking. We are going to stop at the Oregon/Washington border and save Washington for next year. Trip is coming to an end early, I am almost afraid to come home to the heat, but work is calling!Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF33480-57B2-4707-A52B-328C9DFDD6B9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24688863

Click image for larger version

Name:	851CBCB9-6E67-44CC-BDC9-3EC29753C5A3.jpeg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	24688864

Comment

What an awesome experience, thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Dropped my daughter off in Portland OR a few weeks ago for college and saw a sign for the PCT and thought of y’all. It’s beautiful up there, good luck with the rest of the journey

Comment

Update. After taking a break and enjoying the Oregon Coast we got back on the PCT at and made the hike to Cascade Lockes, Oregon (at the Columbia River) on the border of Washington/Oregon. We decided that this would be a great spot to push the pause button for the year and come back next summer and finish Washington. A lot went into this decision … mainly fatigue, degree of complexity in Washington and work opportunities. In the end it was a hard decision, but the right one.

We planned it right and hiked into Cascade Lockes as the annual Hiker Days Festival was starting. Here thousands of smelly and tired hikers gather, party and get caught up with other hikers who are either ahead or behind. We saw so many hikers we met along the way… sone we have not seen in months! In addition, all the key gear manufacturers were there (mostly cottage gear, not mainstream). The cottage gear guys cater to the long-distance hikers and this is how they’re able to get the word out on their products they also do giveaways and raffles which is always a big hit. We camped on Thunder Island along with thousands of other hikers during the festival and enjoyed seeing the manufacturers booths partying and visiting with hikers.

The last section we hiked in Oregon (into Cascade Lockes) was absolutely beautiful. We got to see the timberline Lodge which is infamous fir “playing” the Overlook Hotel in the movie The Shining. We also saw some amazing waterfalls and on the last night camped by a stream thst was loaded with Cutthroat Trout. This was bittersweet as I’ve been carrying my flyrod for a while without having the chance to use it. It felt good to feel the tug of a wild trout on my flyrod again. They were hungry and I caught a bunch but just like in the Sierras, nothing over 10 inches.

All in, Bugz and I hiked about 1,500 miles. We left a big unhiked section in northern CA (fires) and of course Washington. As I said we’ll go back and get those sections next year under rested legs. We hiked with an amazing group of hikers. This year the trail had a lot of international hikers and we had the experience of hiking with people from just about every country you could name; Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Israel and UK to name a few. We even met a recent Aggie graduate. Hikers came in all shapes, sizes makes and models … everyone had their own story and outlook on the world, but on the trail most everyone respected one and another. We met amazing people. I am convinced the world would be served well if somehow the positive human spirit found on these long trails could be spread amongst those who might not find the joy of hiking for 5 months.

In regards to critters, we saw marmots, rabbits, black tail deer, mule deer, elk, bear, fox, chipmunks and a wide variety of squirrels. Oddly enough, we never saw a coyote! Trout, I caught brooks, Golden’s, rainbows and cutthroats. Fishing was good, when I could stop to fish. I definitely plan to do some more hike in fly fishing trips in the future.

I am looking forward to fall and hunting season now and I am already stoked about planning Washington hike next year. If anyone has any question on the hike or gear I used, just fire away. I enjoy answering questions.

Name:	77BA80E0-E727-4A4F-8641-41ED65AF3DDA.jpeg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24689373

At Cascade Lockes, Oregon … where we left off.

Name:	4E321D81-2BF3-4100-AD34-EEA134A802A8.jpeg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24689374

PCT Trail Days

Name:	23AB8794-70F0-4A94-90FC-9BDE950C0522.jpeg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	24689375

Hiking to Trail Days… we counted 30 plus big trees like this over the trail in one morning. Fallen trees were an obstacle on trail all the way from Mexico. Some areas were much worse than others.

Name:	3D711640-BE08-4205-9925-A5A762F7A550.jpeg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	24689376

Sone hiker trash in Cascade Lockes and beer.

Name:	451A6700-508B-433B-B304-5DF7E6285DB0.jpeg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	24689377

Sea of tents in Thunder Island at Trail Days. This picture does not do it justice, there were so many tents.,

Name:	ECB96BCB-1E0D-4671-987C-8A2CD466A154.jpeg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	24689378

Bugz and I in line to get onto Thunder Island and grab our space.

Name:	506AFE02-6332-457F-8175-B1C1EBBD11A5.jpeg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24689379

Trail Days give away. Hikers love free stuff.

Name:	A16BBBC0-9433-4B2C-BC82-B97898A696C2.jpeg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	24689380

Bugz at the Timberline Lodge aka Overlook Hotel

Thank you for following along. Good luck everyone this fall!

Comment

What a trip man! Enjoyed every one of your post on this trip. Congrats for the 1500miles. That’s just insane to me. Can’t wait until your trip next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                        What a trip man! Enjoyed every one of your post on this trip. Congrats for the 1500miles. That’s just insane to me. Can’t wait until your trip next year!
                        Thank you. That next trip is to finish Washington… 450 miles or so. The word on the trail is the Washington section is some of the most amazing scenery. It hurts not going this year but it also gives me something to look forward to!

Comment

Wow. Have loved following along through this journey. What an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            Wow. Have loved following along through this journey. What an adventure!
                            Thank you. I enjoyed my postings here.

Comment

Working...
                            X