No announcement yet.

Sleeping In Vs. HUNTING/FISHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I do sleep in but a majority of the time I wake up before an alarm so I figure while I’m up I might as well hunt. Do love the mornings and seeing the woods come to life. Plus more daylight in case of tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      Yes, many times, I have intended to get up early and go hunting. Then decided, nope, I am going to sleep longer. For most of my life, I had to get up early and get to work, then came home tired. Then the days I took off of work and went hunting. My mind, tells me, I don't have to get up early, I can sleep in, and finally get some rest. I often will do so. This will happen more often when I am hunting an area, where I know the chances of seeing something I want to shoot are low.

In places where I have never hunted, or know there is a decent chance that something I want to shoot, will be in the area, I am planning to hunt. Then I will usually get up much earlier. Also, I have found, when I either sleep in my truck or a tent, near where I am going to hunt. I am much more likely to get up, when I planned to.

There have been very few times I have ever planned to get up early to go fishing, and fewer times, I actually got up early to go fishing. I have done so. About the only time I will be on the water, when the sun is coming up, is when I am sleeping right next to the water, where I am going to be fishing. If I have to drive two hours to a boat dock, then launch the boat and run the boat for an hour or longer to get where I want to fish. You won't find me on the water as the sun comes up. I like fishing or used to like it a lot, but I found a long time ago. That if you don't fish given areas often, and learn why the fish move from one area to another and why they are in different depth water at different times. Your chances of catching fish are low. When I know my chances of catching fish are low, I am not going to put much effort into the whole deal. I am just going to relax as much as possible and go through the motions of fishing. If I catch fish, while doing so, I will be happier.

When I was younger, we had a boat in the family, I was not married, lived right next to the water on the coast. I could fish a lot more often, I knew where to go, at different times. Now, I am lucky to fish once a year. I keep finding, that only going once a year, I have no idea where to find fish. I used to get irritated, only going once a year and not catching much. But I have have to keep reminding myself, what reality is, and to look at things differently. If I get all gung ho and get serious about going fishing. Then my wife, has her long list of non fishing stuff she wants to put in the truck, prepare food or whatever that eats up quite a bit of time. Then my daughter is worse than me about getting up early. Getting her up, before 11:00 AM, when she did not have to be in school. Was going to be an unpleasant first half of the day, with three irritated people and a lot of yelling. Now she is out on her own, I could start thinking of going back to getting up much earlier to go fish. Which I have tried a few times. But every time, my wife, has to pack up the truck like we are going on a month long trip. I have to step back calm down and just classify the trip as a trip to the coast. Don't get in any hurry, don't plan on catching any fish. We are going to go to the coast and be on or near the water, then I will have fishing tackle with me.

Back when we did a lot of fishing when we were younger, long before I ever got married or ever thought of doing something along those lines. We would at times hit the water around sun up, and fish most of the day. Most of the fishing we did, was mid day, later afternoon, or at night. At one point, we would hit the water in the boat, every afternoon, after we got off work. Then we had a loop we would make, and would catch a decent number of good sized fish, then back to the dock and home. Then at other times, we fished multiple piers at night. Those where the times where we really caught a lot of fish. There was a pier we used to fish at night, where we would catch around 100 trout a night. We would usually come home with around 12 trout. Back then the minimum was 14", we would only keep 16" and longer, most of the time, 18" and longer. If we were not catching many over 18" we would start keeping a few 16" trout. I don't think we ever brought home more than 15 trout, between the two of us. I had a lure, that had been hit so many times, it had two grooves down the top of lure, from the trout's two fangs.

I wished we would have had something like a Go Pro back in those days. It was a blast, that one lure we would have upwards of 7 trout at a time chasing it. Often the ones in the rear would jump over the others to get it. We had some crazy hits on that lure. We always loved it when some large trout would be hanging out deep, and we did not know it was down there, then as we drug the lure over it. It would shoot up like a rocket and hit the lure. Sending the lure flying and the trout would launch out of the water. Most of the time they would be near the surface chasing it.

Then we fished Bob Hall and Horace Caldwell piers at night for large reds and shark. We were mainly after shark.
      That was what we did, when I lived on the coast, so getting up at 4:00 AM only happened a few times in my life. One summer I went to a fishing camp, over near the bluff area, for a week. There we had to get up at something like 4:30 AM, every morning. We did not catch much, on those trips. We hit the boat hole multiple mornings. and around CCNAS. We caught a lot more fish, back at the house during the middle of the day, which was on one of he canals just over on the other side of the intercoastal. We would catch a lot of rat reds right behind the house, ever day. The guys who took us out fishing, were supposed to be locals who knew where the fish were, they took us out in their boats. There were a couple mornings on at least one boat, they would get into some fish. But every time we went out, the boat I was on, we did not catch much. Some time after we would get back to the house, every day, I would go down to the canal and start catching rat reds. I caught a whole lot more fish there, than on those early morning trips out on the water. Not sure if the guys that took us out, did not want to take us to their favorite spots, afraid we might tell our father's where we went and go back or what the deal was. We hardly caught anything, in five days of hitting the water before the sun came up. This was back probably 1983.

Is it possible for you to make a post without writing a dissertation?

Christ almighty man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

Christ almighty man.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] when I saw the post I thought to myself, this guy will write more words in ten posts on TBH than I have in my 6000.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually just the day after I kill something. I’m retired so I can pick my days now.

Comment

Christ almighty man.

Got dang it man...... somebody had to say it

Comment

Christ almighty man.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you.

I did see a one sentence reply from him yesterday. Might have been a first.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                I've been thinking along the same lines as you.

I did see a one sentence reply from him yesterday. Might have been a first.
                Didn't have his glasses

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I make myself get up anyway and usually I’m glad I did once I’m on the stand and watch the darkness slowly disappear and birds start to chirp. There’s something special about listening to the world wake up from the view of a bow stand.

Same. In my younger years I ruined several hunting and fishing trips by over serving myself the night before and sleeping in or feeling horrible if I did get up. Now I know better and you just never know how many more of those mornings you’ll have in the woods, watching the sun come up and hearing the world wake up around you. I plan to take advantage of the ones I have left.

Comment

My man RiflePistolBow won Texas Stenographer of the Year 3 years in a row.

Comment

I’m gonna be awake either way. No point spending that time before sunrise laying in bed.

Hell I sit on my butt behind a computer at least 10 hours a day M-F. Before sunup to after sundown on a weekend is easy.

Comment

I enjoy seeing a sunrise from the blind, but I’ll pick a afternoon hunt all day over morning. I’ve just always seemed to have more luck then.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          I make myself get up anyway and usually I’m glad I did once I’m on the stand and watch the darkness slowly disappear and birds start to chirp. There’s something special about listening to the world wake up from the view of a bow stand.
                          This! Ave stayed up till 330 just to get up at 530-600 and do it again. I truly enjoy being out in the brush.

Comment

Never. Weather is the only reason I didn’t go when I could.

Comment

A couple of questions first:

1) Will there be an afternoon hunt as well?

2) Exactly how cold will it be outside?

3) iUs the person who sleeps in required to make breakfast for everybody who went out that morning?

4) if the answer to #3 is yes, will there be room in the blind to go back to sleep?

Comment

Christ almighty man.

I always know who it is when I see an essay on here. Don’t even need to look.

Comment

Working...
                                X