Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
    Thought you went with JM?
    We met with them but left the meeting feeling a little underwhelmed. We decided to put the brakes on everything and just enjoy not having a house payment for a while since we sold our house July 1st.

Semper Fi

Comment

Any Barndominium builders on here?

Be very careful who you choose. If I had to do it over again I would stay away from from the guys in Willis on 1097. I have to watch what I say due to just finishing with them and still needing warranty items repaired. I will say that it took them 6 months to build a 30x50 2 bedroom 2 bath. This was with zero extras. One of the owners was really nice until I questioned why they was not following the 2020 NEC. He told me that they didn’t have to follow any codes because he was in the county. Then he never spoke to me again and hardly even came by. The other owner argued with me and said that I was stating the commercial electrical code. The Master that the electrical contractor was working under pulled his license in the end. He actually hired another Master to come and straighten it all out for him due to him working in California. What a nightmare. I will say this if whoever you are using brings in a electrical contractor that goes by D&S Electrical fire them and run the builder off of your property. These guys are not qualified to wire a simple light switch. This can go on and on but I will stop it here unless you want more. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just curious Youngblood, what’s your background in the electrical industry?

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
          Be very careful who you choose. If I had to do it over again I would stay away from from the guys in Willis on 1097. I have to watch what I say due to just finishing with them and still needing warranty items repaired. I will say that it took them 6 months to build a 30x50 2 bedroom 2 bath. This was with zero extras. One of the owners was really nice until I questioned why they was not following the 2020 NEC. He told me that they didn’t have to follow any codes because he was in the county. Then he never spoke to me again and hardly even came by. The other owner argued with me and said that I was stating the commercial electrical code. The Master that the electrical contractor was working under pulled his license in the end. He actually hired another Master to come and straighten it all out for him due to him working in California. What a nightmare. I will say this if whoever you are using brings in a electrical contractor that goes by D&S Electrical fire them and run the builder off of your property. These guys are not qualified to wire a simple light switch. This can go on and on but I will stop it here unless you want more. Good luck!

Yes what you explained above is one of the problems you can encounter when building in a rural setting. When we had this one we live in now we made sure the builder would use the codes required in the city. He was good for his word.

It’s a personal preference of course on barndo vs stick built. We have bought and sold the houses we lived in over the years and due to not enough substantial savings we went stick built. I think you have the opportunity for a broader market for buyers just in case you want or have to sale. Just my .02 and that’s all it’s worth. This is our fourth house, 2nd one to have built ourselves and this is our third forever home. Lol

Comment

Any Barndominium builders on here?

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Livingston

Semper Fi
            Pm sent homie

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            I have seen Exteriors of Texas on Facebook but really thought we were likely out range for them. I didn't know it was someone here on TBH either.

Another note on barndos. I have been told metal vs traditional sticks and bricks is higher these days due to metal costs. Is this true? I had wanted barndo but since we have a 30 x 40 building in place, the home doesn't need a connected shop now. PM would be great to answer this.

Hey Bill, I'm shooting you a PM too. You're definitely within range of us.

Last edited by Chuy; 07-30-2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X