Why Do You Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    I’ve been curious about this as well. Me personally I don’t speed, typically drive around 70, even if 75 is speed limit due to better fuel mileage. On a 100mile trip the difference between averaging 70mph vs 80mph is only 10min. Just my POV.

^^^I'm with you. My F150 fuel economy drops the faster I go so I set the cruise on the speed limit but not usually over 70. Approaching the GOF club, I also find my blood pressure and stress are lower when I'm not driving as aggressively (speeding). Like others have said, you can drive as fast as you like, just don't be a jackass. No one should get shot in a road rage incident.

Comment

I credit my need for speed from taking offensive driving courses. Maybe I should take a defensive driving course.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Because I have places to be. I would rather spend time at the destination then in the car on the way.

Those studies, take some time and read them again. They often don't consider traffic. Prime example, assuming the speed limit is 55, if I go 5 mph faster than the guy next to me, 30 miles down the road I am just 2.5 miles ahead of him. Let's say at 30 miles down the road, there is a bottleneck. I am able to get to the bottleneck in traffic quicker. Along with a lot of people who also go ahead of speed limit guy. Now there are a lot more cars stacked up between us, and it takes him even longer than it took me to get through the bottleneck.

There is a massive savings in time by speeding once traffic is considered. There is a really good book on this called "Traffic: What is says about us" or something like that.
        If the traffic jam is getting worse between your arrival and speed-limit-guy's arrival, then yes, you save additional time by waiting in a shorter line.

But, if the bottleneck gets cleared in between your arrival and the other guy's, then you actually end up spending MORE time in the back-up than he does.

Since you can't predict when and where slow-downs are going to occur and clear, I'm pretty sure it all averages out. On AVERAGE, driving faster doesn't save you any more time than the simple math that canny demonstrated.

An exception would be something predictable, like rush-hour traffic. If you're approaching a city and know that traffic is about to get worse, driving faster could save you extra time, by arriving before the worst of it.

Comment

Pharmacy closes at 8.

Comment

New thread idea, why are you running thru cvs?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Because I have places to be. I would rather spend time at the destination then in the car on the way.

Those studies, take some time and read them again. They often don't consider traffic. Prime example, assuming the speed limit is 55, if I go 5 mph faster than the guy next to me, 30 miles down the road I am just 2.5 miles ahead of him. Let's say at 30 miles down the road, there is a bottleneck. I am able to get to the bottleneck in traffic quicker. Along with a lot of people who also go ahead of speed limit guy. Now there are a lot more cars stacked up between us, and it takes him even longer than it took me to get through the bottleneck.

There is a massive savings in time by speeding once traffic is considered. There is a really good book on this called "Traffic: What is says about us" or something like that.
              Leave earlier?

Comment

Really only time I speed is when head is up arse and cruise control and not attention attention to signs.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  Leave earlier?
                  Leaving earlier doesn't shorten transit time and shortens the amount of time at wherever you are leaving. Drive time is dead time. Purgatory.

Comment

I love my radar detector and the Waze app and I greatly dislike those that camp out in the left lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      Honestly.....places to go and Texas is big.

For every few mph over 70 your chances of dying in a crash increase. I can't find the study but it's a public safety concern.

We all still do it.
                      When I was a kid in driver's ed class we were told that something like 70% of wrecks were directly related to going too fast. I know every wreck I've ever had speeding was either the culprit, or made the damage worse. And yep, I still do it but working on it.

Comment

I used to have a lead foot when I was younger. Was always in a hurry to get somewhere and took defensive driving I don't know how many times. I've slowed down a lot over the past 15 - 20 years. I use cruise control a lot now and set it at the speed limit....... almost. I always find myself setting it a couple miles over speed limit. Guess I have to feel like I'm getting away with something. LOL

Comment

I may go over the speed limit. I may not. But I-10 traffic sucks. I can’t believe I see people on motorcycles on there. That seems like trying to commit suicide to me. My two cents.

Comment

Because I can. To pass someone else.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                              I love my radar detector and the Waze app and I greatly dislike those that camp out in the left lane.
                              I have introduced a lot of people to Waze over the years.

Comment

To keep from being ran over

Comment

Working...
                                X