21 acre 10-point down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 acre 10-point down!

I don't know where to even start on this story but it's been one of the most rewarding feelings I've had in awhile.
    This hunting story started with the purchase of 21 acres in Irion co this past September 2014. The purpose of the purchase is to build a house on the property that I will retire on and also to hunt some. I know the area fairlly well and also knew it held some good genetics in the past. Wasn't sure about what to expect in the hunting but the scenic views for my future home were what me and the wife fell in love with.

After the closing on the land I set a feeder up literally within the hour. Lol
    This was the original setup in 2014

Had several good deer show up that first season including this nice 10-point that I could never seem to catch sight of when I hunted.

I also got some video in the 2014 season of the buck I would eventually get to take yesterday November 20th 2015
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

The 2014 season passes without me killing a buck that I wanted but ended up being a great enjoyable experience hunting my own property.

2015 is here and I wanted to setup a more permanent blind and feeder for the years to come. This is the new setup just about 100 yards North of the original spot.

View from the blind

Also a directional feeder behind a cedar bush

October is here and I have several mainframe 9's and a few 10-points coming into the new setup. None of them shooters for me but nice bucks. Around mid October a familiar face shows up and has 12 scorable points,he was a 10-point the previous year and the buck I wanted to see in person but never did. This is him again from 2014

This is him this year 2015

I was excited and looking forward to hunting this guy but not long after I got him on camera I heard that he was killed not too far away with a Xbow by a woman that looks very happy with him.

With that buck dead it was back to waiting on another buck to simply show up and be something I'd like to take. October passes and November is here and not much has changed on the deer I have coming into the feed. Finally around the 13th or so a new nice 8-point shows up but with a broken eyeguard and looking like a 4yearold so I chose to pass on him.

Fast forward to yesterday the 20th when I decided to give it another shot before the cold front hit this weekend. Me and my buddy Brandon "Bone Thug" on here got settled in the blind and trying to conversate quietly about "usually deer related stuff" while a few small bucks and does ran around the feeder/blind area. I had put out some corn and we had 6 or so deer in a hour before the feeder was set to go off. They ate some and chased each other some then eventually faded into the brush for awhile. Feeder is about to go off for the first evening time and the previous deer are making their way back into the spot. Feeder goes off and a few bucks come in and a doe or two run by and steel a piece of corn when they could. Talking to,Brandon and saying it could be a hit or miss type of day to hunt with the wind picking up and the weather front on its way......when out of my side window I see a buck with good G4's emerging from the brush. I knew instantly I hadn't seen this buck or had any pictures of him. Quickly looking him over and talking with,Brandon on a few thoughts I decided he's a good candidate for a first bowkill buck on my land to take.
    Here's the shot and a bloody one.
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Short tracking job and there lays one of the most rewarding bowkills of my life and to share it with a friend was special too.

Thanks,Brandon for tagging along for the hunt and taking the LDP's for me!
    Sorry for such a long write-up and loads of pictures but this bowkill is one of my all time favorite hunts.
    He grosses 133"

Last edited by KingsX; 11-21-2015, 03:41 PM.

Congrats on the beautiful 10pt! The patience pay's off!! Great story also.

Comment

Really enjoyed the write up! Awesome buck...Congrats!

Comment

Nice job and great write-up Jeremy!

Comment

Awesome story and stud of a buck!!! Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome, congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Very cool. Congrats, nice buck

Comment

Awesome hunt and a great buck.

I know how special of a deer he is to you. I'm glad I was there to watch it all go down.

Big Congrats!!!

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats

Comment

Ditto on the great write-up. Congratulations on a nice buck.

Comment

Great write-up on a great buck! I can imagine it feels great to kill a trophy on your own property. It looked like he had a tumor or growth under his jaw in the video. Any idea what that was?

Comment

Congrats! Very nice and great write up

Comment

This is awesome!! Exactly what I want. A tract a land to hunt on and hang my hat!! Awesome!

Comment

Super super cool write up! Congrats on getting done on your land

Comment

What a beautiful deer, congrats brother!

Comment

Working...
                              X