Backcountry Garmin Inreach Mini or Garmin Gps map 66i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backcountry Garmin Inreach Mini or Garmin Gps map 66i

In the Backcountry with no cell service and unfamiliar area using OnX for mapping, do you carry a Inreach mini for emergency or do you also want the backup gps and communication functions of something like the Garmin GPSmap 66i? Right now the 66i is on sell just $40 more than the Explorer+, so figure 66i worth the difference. I thinking OnX will be best for navigating with downloaded maps. Not sure if need a second gps for redundance? Opinions from those that hunt the Backcountry would be helpful

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't like being contacted or contacting anyone while Elk hunting but last year we got 25" of snow one night and having a way to text would have been nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
      I don't like being contacted or contacting anyone while Elk hunting but last year we got 25" of snow one night and having a way to text would have been nice.
      I agree. I just want it for the Sos function and send wife simple "ok" text at night. Also want to be able to get message if emergency happens back home. Just peace of mind.

Comment

I have the mini, just for safety communication.
        I do bring a external battery pack that's good for 2 phone charges and 1 mini charge.
        You can text straight from you phone through mini very easily.
        With Garmin earthmate and onx you'll never really use the gps function on the communicator.

I would say it depends on how much time you spend out there. If you spend a lot of time in the bc I would go with multi function, in case of phone failure.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
          I have the mini, just for safety communication.
          I do bring a external battery pack that's good for 2 phone charges and 1 mini charge.
          You can text straight from you phone through mini very easily.
          With Garmin earthmate and onx you'll never really use the gps function on the communicator.

I would say it depends on how much time you spend out there. If you spend a lot of time in the bc I would go with multi function, in case of phone failure.
          Probably 5 day hunt once a year

Comment

Working...
          X