Propane or electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane or electric

Which do y’all prefer and why? And please tell us about your propane powered appliances. We got on this subject while talking about the breakdown of our country. My investor ask me, “ do y’all have a place to go”? I told him we did and he suggested propane instead of the electrical grid. Thus the question.
    Last edited by Hogmauler; 04-20-2021, 05:12 AM.

Propane stove for sure. If for nothing else, the fact you can heat your house and cook your food as long as you have propane on hand. I always preferred cooking on propane anyway, but after the big freeze I realized how sucky it can be on all electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good point. But will propane go through the roof as well as every other commodity in a time of hyperinflation? Will you be able to get it?

Comment

Cooking with gas. It is a heat source easier for me to control. Electric to me is hard to cook on. Is it going to go up? Yes. Name a utility that isnt about to skyrocket. But a tank and 500# now and keep it toward full.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Good point. But will propane go through the roof as well as every other commodity in a time of hyperinflation? Will you be able to get it?
          If you cant get propane, I doubt youll be getting gasoline....

Comment

No debate. Propane/NG for sure. Electricity is first to go in a crisis. Propane can be stored in larger volumes much easier and much, much longer.

Comment

we made the switch 9 years ago to Propane and Love it,cook top, and water heater, during the Winter we went through we had hot water and was able to cook..
              Propane 100%

Comment

Good stuff y’all. Can you install anti-theft devices on a propane tank?

Comment

All I can say is during the freeze few weeks ago..we would have froze up solid if it was not for the fact...We have Natural Gas (not propane)and its piped into home..So with a small space heater and burners /oven on stove we were able to keep Home in 60s and could have been elevated more but that was OK with a sweater.We also have a CO monitor or 2 to keep tabs on that..at night we shut down heat and i would get up every few hours and light off heat and read for a hour or so and heat house back up .Then cut off and sleep a few hours and repeat...Was not the funnest thing I ever did but..We suffered no damage..
                  Electric was a Crap shoot...Come and Go, mostly Go away...for entire freeze.

Comment

Yup. CVA we don’t have natural gas in Mountain Home. And for those of you that don’t know(like me initially) Mountain Home Texas is just a post office!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

My concerns with propane are what happens when you get 3 ft of snow and trucks can't get to you to fill your tank ? Happened up here and folks were snowed in for 2 weeks. Power was back on way before the snow melted enough for folks to get out of their property.

Not really as simple as having propane when the power goes out.

Comment

Propane is, without question the energy source to have for emergency. I have propane for hot water, and an auxiliary propane stove and home heat. (primary home heat is wood, also good for emergency). We are considering getting a propane freezer also, to keep food if the electricity goes off. I have 2, 250 gallon tanks I can fill that would last us over a year. And a spare tank of propane can be kept indefinitely.
                          Last edited by softpoint; 04-20-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I will have to have electricity for my well but want propane for backup.

Comment

Propane for sure and when plumbed for both it adds value to your home! We also have 2 gas fireplaces and that was such a blessing during the freeze! We have the average 250 gallon tank and used 20% during that ordeal so we are purchasing an additional 500 to go with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X