Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has it ever felt like you’ve gone back in time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    90% of the folks on here probably have no clue what an attic fan is. Lol!

That was all we had also until I was in jr high.
    For sure James. And no matter how hot it was you still woke up under the covers! And we had it till I was in 6th grade. When we came to Houston in 1960 my dad was making about $3.60 an hour. That’s why we didn’t have an a c or phone for years. And it was all we knew. We knew almost everyone in our neighborhood as well. And a ton of people worked at Cameron Iron Works on Silber Road.

Comment

I hunted mule deer in eastern Arizona last year. Our unit was near the little town of Alpine. We stopped at the Bear Wallow cafe for breakfast one morning as it was one of two choices in town. We walked up to the door, and a big sign read "we don't wear masks here, God Bless America."

We walked inside, and I swear it became 1960. An old, fairly run down building without a TV in sight and waitresses that have probably been there for 30 years. People were just sitting together and visiting (some wearing revolvers), which doesn't seem to happen all that much any more. I know there are places like that here, as I'm from a small town, but I had never been to a place like it in my life. It was a great experience.
      Last edited by Saltyag15; 04-20-2021, 06:19 AM.

Comment

im fortunate enough to be able to stay in the same house my dad grew up in and hunt the land that my family homesteaded in the 1880's once a year in North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
          im fortunate enough to be able to stay in the same house my dad grew up in and hunt the land that my family homesteaded in the 1880's once a year in North Dakota.
          This is too awesome!

Comment

We are retired in a rural area now. But to heck with the good ole days I remember growing up here.

Comment

If I could make a good living somewhere around Leakey, I'd move in a heart beat. I usually spend about 2 weeks out there every year (since 2004) just to turn back the clock and unwind. I would love to go back 40-50 years and stay there. No cell phones and no internet...sign me up.

Comment

40 years? It would be nice to go back 2 years before this country lost its mind

Comment

Rolled over to Fredericksburg and visited Grandpa and Grandma resting together in the town's Catholic Cemetery, this past Saturday evening. 22 miles from my home to there - rolling roads driven with Grandpa and Dad, thru sections and ranches, we all knew families and friends who owned and worked the region then.

1897 - 1967 Franz Zabrocki
                  1909 - 2004 Martha Weigend Zabrocki

Fixed the flowers, gave thanks and reflected on their lives mixed with my life.......all centered in a world, almost exclusively composed of Immigrants from old World Prussia.

My years there in the 60s, OPA & OMA Weigend Austrian - OPA wearing his traditional Lederhosen attire during the fall, and all conversations spoken, in German and mixed English.

Saturdays at the meat market - ranchers with their ranch hands would linger around OPA's meat market, when OPA's was local and uncommercialized thru HEB and other channels. The ranchhands, a mix of Mexican and a few Black cowboys - all versant with Spanish and German. Literally zero English spoken - and I listening - with literally broken knowledge of words I could identify then - as well as now. To listen to Mexican and Black men speak German - this was normal to me. Today - I realize just how far out of the normal - this small part of Texas really was.

The thing I noticed for the first time, after so many years of visiting my family, who moved here to leave Hitler and Nazism, After surviving the ravages of WWI……..The names buried in the plots next to my Grandparents. NAMES NOT COMMON IN TEXAS TODAY – YET IT IS SOME OF THESE NAMES – WHO FOUNDED THIS REGION OF THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY- BORN IN LANDS ELSEWHERE AND COMING HERE LEGALLY AS IMMIGRANTS TO START NEW AND SURVIVE WHAT WAS INEVITABLY WHAT WAS TO COME IN 1939 AND HITLERS INVASION OF POLAND

CRENWELGE
                  VOGEL
                  PYKA
                  ROEDER
                  ERECH
                  NEGBEN
                  ZABROCKI

Yes I remember another time – and it was a time that shined a light on the composition of an entire region of this State – and these new people’s influences here – which has become lost and nearly forgotten

I rolled home - eyes watered up and smiling - sun dropping down into a clear sky

Yeah - we are all reflecting now - not the AMERICA we remember and I'm not going to sit idle, and let it consume me. I'm inside TEXAS - feel sorry for those outside the State lines.
                  Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-20-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                    Rolled over to Fredericksburg and visited Grandpa and Grandma resting together in the town's Catholic Cemetery, this past Saturday evening. 22 miles from my home to there - rolling roads driven with Grandpa and Dad, thru sections and ranches, we all knew families and friends who owned and worked the region then.

1897 - 1967 Franz Zabrocki
                    1909 - 2004 Martha Weigend Zabrocki

Fixed the flowers, gave thanks and reflected on their lives mixed with my life.......all centered in a world, almost exclusively composed of Immigrants from old World Prussia.

My years there in the 60s, OPA & OMA Weigend Austrian - OPA wearing his traditional Lederhosen attire during the fall, and all conversations spoken, in German and mixed English.

Saturdays at the meat market - ranchers with their ranch hands would linger around OPA's meat market, when OPA's was local and uncommercialized thru HEB and other channels. The ranchhands, a mix of Mexican and a few Black cowboys - all versant with Spanish and German. Literally zero English spoken - and I listening - with literally broken knowledge of words I could identify then - as well as now. To listen to Mexican and Black men speak German - this was normal to me. Today - I realize just how far out of the normal - this small part of Texas really was.

The thing I noticed for the first time, after so many years of visiting my family, who moved here to leave Hitler and Nazism, After surviving the ravages of WWI……..The names buried in the plots next to my Grandparents. NAMES NOT COMMON IN TEXAS TODAY – YET IT IS SOME OF THESE NAMES – WHO FOUNDED THIS REGION OF THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY- BORN IN LANDS ELSEWHERE AND COMING HERE LEGALLY AS IMMIGRANTS TO START NEW AND SURVIVE WHAT WAS INEVITABLY WHAT WAS TO COME IN 1939 AND HITLERS INVASION OF POLAND

CRENWELGE
                    VOGEL
                    PYKA
                    ROEDER
                    ERECH
                    NEGBEN
                    ZABROCKI

Yes I remember another time – and it was a time that shined a light on the composition of an entire region of this State – and these new people’s influences here – which has become lost and nearly forgotten

I rolled home - eyes watered up and smiling - sun dropping down into a clear sky

Yeah - we are all reflecting now - not the AMERICA we remember and I'm not going to sit idle, and let it consume me. I'm inside TEXAS - feel sorry for those outside the State lines.
                    Wow. Great write up. We will be going to our place in Mountain Home tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Wow. Great write up. We will be going to our place in Mountain Home tomorrow.
                      Thank you Bruce. I don't have a lot of history in this country, from my given surname. I am the first born American of my family.......and my trip to visit our beginnings, has a lot of weight on me now since I am now the Patriarch of my tribe here.

So the beginnings of my American beginnings - the first name served the US ARMED FORCES and managed to Commission into the Coast Guard Officers Registry - maintained for the rest of American time - in Washington DC

I turned down a full ticket to Texas Tech - the place where my father earned his degree - becoming a successful American Entrepreneur retiring early and becoming another story of the American dream

I dumped that easy path - went at it my way

VERSION 1.0 - This is the reason why I roll frequently to Fredericksburg = THANKS THANKS THANKS TO THEM!

And today - is certainly not what it was back then. In spite of what we as AMERICANS have to deal with politically now - IT IS NO WHERE NEAR WHAT THAT TIME WAS BACK THEN - FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD
                      Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-20-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

For sure bro. Hope to meet you some day.

Comment

Where we live here in SE Iowa is like going back in time. We live 15 miles from town. Our little town has no Wal-Mart, no supermarket, no fast food restaurants.

We do have a small home town grocery store, and an Amish grocery store and a little ice cream shop that is open from April until the end of September. The ice cream shop is packed every night if the weather is nice. We have one store call Hamilton Produce. They don't have one bit of produce, but if you need Carhart clothes, most any kind of hardware, propane or parts for a 1950 Farmall H then you came to the right place. Summer night entertainment is little league baseball, the county fair, the city rodeo, and stock car racing.

I tell people we live 2 hours from anywhere in the world and 10 minutes from the 1800s.
                          When they ask what I mean I tell them that we can drive to Des Moines and fly to anywhere in the world, but we live 10 minutes from one of the largest Amish communities in the nation. We see horse and buggies daily. All the businesses in town have hitching posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            For sure James. And no matter how hot it was you still woke up under the covers! And we had it till I was in 6th grade. When we came to Houston in 1960 my dad was making about $3.60 an hour. That’s why we didn’t have an a c or phone for years. And it was all we knew. We knew almost everyone in our neighborhood as well. And a ton of people worked at Cameron Iron Works on Silber Road.
                            Use to be a small bar be que place across Silber from Cameron.

Comment

Slightly different take. But our summer trips to Red River NM are a certainly step back in time. Especially when my kids were young. The 4th of July parade is straight out of 1975. Won the three legged race with both kids at the community center a couple of years. Plenty of places to sit just relax- watch the hummingbirds, okies, etc. People are friendly. Quaint little grocery store. It’s a great place to get away from the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I often times feel I was born 50 yrs late. This is a great thread. Keep the stories coming

Comment

Working...
                                X