? about Purple Martin houses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How on God's green earth do you keep these aggressive/invasive sparrows out of a newly put up Purple Martin House? 12' off the ground and in the open, but we looked in it today and out of the 6 sections out of 12 we looked in and cleaned out all 6 were with sparrow nests. Have not seen any Purple martins yet!

Pellet gun or 410! My wife was reading that sometimes it takes a couple of years for martins to move in.

Comment

I understand the pellet gun, but these house being plastic, what do you do, shoot holes thru it?

Comment

Do you have the crescent shaped starling resistant entrances?

Comment

Purple martins have been here since mid February, you might be to late for this year. Ours showed up after the freeze.
          Another alternative is a sparrow trap

Comment

Get a gourd rack. The plastic gourds have traps you can install if the sparrows move in.

Comment

Have not seen a Martin yet this year; and they been coming to my 3 Houses for 20y years or so...plenty sparrows though to keep BB gun busy

Comment

I'm a first year PM landlord. I have a cheap plastic S&K 12 family house but plugged off certain entrances in the house to make the compartments larger so that makes it only a 6 family house. I installed the starling resistant doors and the gourds have porches. The gourds are attached to the pole just below the house. I put some dried pine needles inside all compartments and added 2 PM decoys.

My plan was to put the pole up on Valentine's Day but Snowmageddon put a damper on that. I didn't get it put up until Sun 2/21. I saw my first PM scout on Fri 3/19. I now have a couple of the holes in the house and 2 gourds occupied pretty regularly. I've had zero problems with starlings or sparrows so far.

All I'll say is PMs are some really cool birds and my wife and I are enjoying the activity every morning and evening.

Last edited by RascalArms; 04-06-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Its a constant battle between them and starlings, regardless of all the precautions taken. Like others have said, pellet gun and cleaning out the sparrow nests is a big chore. (Hint: when cleaning out the nests, I burned them. I used to just throw them on the ground but the sparrows were using it to rebuild.)

Comment

The crescent shape entrance works to keep the sparrows out.

purple martins, purple martin, purple, martins, martin, bird, birds, birding, nest, nests, nesting, gourd, gourds, house, houses, housing
                    Last edited by HUNTERMAGNUM; 04-06-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Love our PM's. We have had tenants for about 10 years now. Have an established colony. (Have 4 houses with a total of 40 nests cavities. Had 30 productive pair last year)
                      Hate sparrows (use crescent holes to deter starlings)
                      1) Pellet gun (shoot when not danger of hitting / busting martin house)
                      2) Pull sparrow nests every couple days (discard nests, they will re-use materials if you just throw on ground)
                      3) traps, some are more effective than others. I used scratch grains and caught / released too many cardinals. Now trying nesting material, have caught a few. I have just ordred some to go inside the nest cavity so you can target the more stubborn ones)
                      :

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
                        Love our PM's. We have had tenants for about 10 years now. Have an established colony. (Have 4 houses with a total of 40 nests cavities. Had 30 productive pair last year)
                        Hate sparrows (use crescent holes to deter starlings)
                        1) Pellet gun (shoot when not danger of hitting / busting martin house)
                        2) Pull sparrow nests every couple days (discard nests, they will re-use materials if you just throw on ground)
                        3) traps, some are more effective than others. I used scratch grains and caught / released too many cardinals. Now trying nesting material, have caught a few. I have just ordred some to go inside the nest cavity so you can target the more stubborn ones)
                        :

You, sir.........are winning!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                        X