No announcement yet.

Shooting does with fawns/yearlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't shoot does with yearlings. I popped one years ago and the yearling stood there 10 yards away watching while I loaded it's mamma up and then hung out at the feeder for days and days looking for her. I know it was old enough to be on it's own and I know a doe is a doe is a doe for management purposes. I guess I watched too many Disney movies as a kid. It didn't feel very good so now I just pick the does who are by themselves and have done that for many years. If one of the other members or a guest shoots a doe who has fawns, no big deal. I don't get upset about it it anything like that. I just don't do it personally.

Comment

Fawn = 6 months old (born this Spring)
      Yearling = 1.5 years old (born the Spring before this one)

Just looks like there is still confusion so I figured I would post that again.

Comment

If you shoot the doe first, the fawn usually hangs around and you can get it too! Twofer!

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
          If you shoot the doe first, the fawn usually hangs around and you can get it too! Twofer!

You need some Jesus [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
            You need some Jesus [emoji23][emoji23]

Low fence jesus encourages this [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              If the fawns have spots, I won’t shoot the doe. If the fawn is spotless, it’s game on!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              this is what ive always heard

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Two experiences keep me from shoot doe with fawn early in season.
                  First year on a lease (I miss btw) I shot a doe with two fawn. A button buck and a doe fawn. That nubber lived at my feeder after that. Bedded in the oakmont 10 yards from the feeder. When I walked in he would get up and stand under the feeder. I'd hit the remote and watch him eat. He would walk out and meet the deer coming in. He hung around till he was four. When filling the feeder he would stand outside the pen and I would toss corn to him. At 4yo he was a nice 8pt and a new guy on the list let his son shoot him as a management deer. Even though he was on the no shoot list.
                  The next season I shot another doe in October. Her fawn was standing next to her when I reached the end of the short blood trail. It followed me as I drug her momma out to the two track. Stood there while I walked 400 yards to the cart and watched me load her. Then trotted down the road after me/her as I took off.
                  I see fawns nursing into early November. We still had one with fading spots on Thanksgiving weekend this year.
                  It doesn't matter I guess but I don't shoot a doe with a fawn until mid November.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Yup. 30 something years ago I shot a doe and the fawn stood there and watched me gut her. Can't do that again.

Comment

When we shoot does it’s for herd management so as long as it don’t have spots we let’s a arrow fly. I have been encouraged to shoot 3 a year.

Comment

Maybe this will help some of y’all...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X