When in doubt.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When in doubt.....

Always cracks me up on those TV shows when they say, "we shot him a little back, so when in doubt, back out. we'll let him lay for 6 to 8 hours." HAHA. Not in Texas, baby. Buddy of mine shot one, went to the truck. Took 10 minutes. When he got back, buzzards were already on him.

Those first couple weeks of season are so stinkin hot that you have to worry about meat spoiling as well.

Comment

I shot a doe with a recurve....virtually no noise. Watched her die 50 yds away. Walked to my truck 5 min away and drove straight back and a coyote had her be the back leg dragging her off into the trees. I dont let anything lay overnight

Comment

A couple seasons ago, I was hunting on a large ranch SW of Carrizo Springs. I shot an old cull buck, gave him about 15 minutes and tracked and found him about 40-50 yards behind the feeder. I sat around him for about ten minutes and my buddy called to tell me he was about 5 minutes out. I left my bow next to the deer and walked back to the feeder to meet them. I had not been gone from the deers side for more than 5-10 minutes and when we got back we ran off two coyotes who had eaten the rear out of the deer. Insane how fast they work and how bold they can be.

Comment

A few years ago in Dilley I shot a deer out of one window (rifle), moved to another window to try to get another one, then looked at the first deer and it already had a Cara-Cara on it pecking out eyes. We are talking less than 30 seconds. Down there, when we bow-shoot deer we usually get out and start looking as soon as they disappear in the brush. The coyotes will be on them in just a couple minutes most of the time. Crazy.

Comment

Ya thats why I always get a kick out of those guys saying, "we'll let him lay over night" or "we'll let him lay for a few hours and we'll go to town and eat, and come back." The other day they said, "for a gut shot deer you should always wait at least 6 to 8 hours, and even longer if you can." HAHA. In Texas they're a goner.

Comment

At our old lease we had a resident bobcat that would find your deer within 15 minutes after you shot it (archery) if it was an evening hunt. We would blood trail the deer then start looking for the cat's eyes with our flashlights. We always left him/her a nice gut pile as its reward ha ha. More than once it already had the deer covered up with leaves and grass.

Comment

Hogs were going to town on this deer no longer than 20 minutes after I shot.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4734.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24589013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Always cracks me up when the deer runs off blood pumping everywhere but if they don’t see it fall they wait. There are a lot of things they do on those shows that would never work in Texas. Our deer are too spooky

Comment

“Smoked him!!” Then they show the recovery the next day [emoji849][emoji849]

Comment

Over night from the song dogs.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Shot a doe one morning. Watched it fall. Went to pick my dad up at a stand 1/4 mile away. Came back and ran buzzards off the kill. Half of the rear quarters were gone. I was out of sight for less than ten minutes.

Comment

Kurt, did I see that deer one am in 2010/2011?

Comment

Yup i wondered how they left it overnight and it was still there in the morning. I shot a hog and dragged him from the brush to the side of the road. Went to get my truck. By the time I came back a cara cara was already pecking at him.

Comment

Working...
                            X