Who hunted the two freezes of 1983 & 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Maybe some folks don't realize there's a lot of Texas north of I-10 too - every year.
    Lol....true.... very true....

And yes.....I've hunted every freeze, heat wave, mosquito infestation, flood, drought since the early 70's

Comment

I remember them. We drove our 3 wheeler all over Big Cypress Bayou in 83 when it froze over. In 89 Caddo Lake was so iced up it was crazy. I do remember getting up to go duck hunt that morning and the temperature on the bank sign in Marshall said 4deg. It was frosty to say the least!

Comment

I guess it's that one in 83 that create story everyone loves to remind me about come family reunion time.
        I was about 13. My uncles were in town from ohio and Oklahoma. Dad put me in a stand by myself with a thermos full of coffee. It was bitter cold and in my mind that hot coffee would be better served warming my toes than my tummy. It was wonderful idea until I ran out of said coffee. My feet started to freeze and I only though they hurt before. Well it took it seemed hours to quit hurting

Comment

I hunted out of a tripod in the freeze of 1989. I lasted about 2 hours at 7*. My facemask was covered with ice from my breath. It took me forever to warm up when I got home.

Comment

My dad hunted at the YO in the 1960's and they stayed in some old metal quonset huts. Someone stole the wood stove and there was no other heat source. Big front (blue norther as they called it) rolled through and he said they dang near froze in their sleeping bags. Woke up and the toilet froze and shattered and there were three dead mice on the floor that froze that night. We should be thankful for this purported global warming. :-)

Comment

In 89 I was setting on an oak tree limb, -4 and about a 15+ mph wind in Red River County.... Man I was cold and didn't see a dang thing for two days I hunted. I've come a long way since then. Now have store bought blinds with windows and propane heat. Sure beats that tree limb.

Comment

I remember both. 5yrs old in 1983 at the deer lease with my grandpa in cuero, tx. I thought that was bad until 1989, that year we were near Clegg off of 624/hwy 59. I remember the thermometer he carried in his truck reading 8 degrees that morning. The afternoon high temp was 13. Dang I miss that man and those times. I’d hunt in freezing temps the rest of my life to be able to sit in the deer stand with him one more time.

Comment

I can’t remember anything significant enough back in ‘83 or ‘89 to mention so I must have either not hunted or was just a HELLUVA lot tougher back then.

I do, however, vividly recall the ice storm in December ‘13 while hunting a lease southeast of Big Lake. The storm rolled in and every power line in the area was affected. I don’t think it got above 15-16 degrees while we were there. We tried to stay with it for a few days without electricity but after a local lineman for the electric company told us it would be a week to 10 days before power would be restored....we had enough and headed home. It was COLD....darn COLD. The ice had built up ridiculously thick all over the ranch. Trees were stretched down-broken up and blocking all the roads. I remember the cattle panels around the feeders having about 2” of ice on them. It was a sight to see....and COLD! I’m too **** old to be out in that crap nowadays. Did I mention it was COLD?

Comment

Cedar Creek Lake froze over in 83. Cut ice with my dad at the stock tanks for two weeks for the cows to drink water. That was a bad cold spell to say the least.

Comment

Is shot my first buck on a ranch in king county December of 1989 after field dressing it i washed my knife off under the cooler and the water froze around my boots.

Comment

I left my hunting lease January 2017 it was 5 on my truck thermometer with a 30+ mph wind. The lock on the gate has 4 tumblers on the bottom. Can't turn em with gloves. I literally would get one number correct get back in my truck to warm my hands. Then try it again. Took almost 30 minutes to get it done. Now last year I think I wore a hunting jacket 4 times and that was going to the blind early in the am.

Comment

I’ll one up you.
                          Who hunted thanksgiving in 75 ???
                          16 degrees in Lampasas. Hunting in open top blinds covered in burlap. We hunted that morning in our sleeping bags, pulled up to our nose. Brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                            I’ll one up you.
                            Who hunted thanksgiving in 75 ???
                            16 degrees in Lampasas. Hunting in open top blinds covered in burlap. We hunted that morning in our sleeping bags, pulled up to our nose. Brutal.
                            I was 6 then and I remember all my dads stands being just like that. Also remember hunting in our sleeping bags as well. .

The good old days

Comment

75 I went with my Dad to his lease in Bosque county and "skated" on the frozen creek in my hiking boots. 83 we went coon hunting during the freeze and coffee froze on the tailgate next to the fire in minutes. Didn't take too many hours to figure out the coons had stayed home that night. In 89 I was in the far east where no coat was needed.

Comment

I shot a doe in Cuero about an hour before the 1983 cold front hit. Hung her in the barn for almost a week before processing her.

Busted ice on Anahuac marsh potholes in the 1989 freeze and slayed the mallards and gadwalls.

Comment

Working...
                                X