Grass seed question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass seed question please

I’m done with lawn grasses trying to keep them alive with water and then the drought and sun beats it to death. I notice the wild grasses on the side of the highway is always green so I just want that and keep it mowed.

Anyone know what seed I’m looking for or any tips?

This is for a neighborhood with a postage stamp sized yard. The wild grass in our green space is hardy and infiltrating slowly, I just want to accelerate the process.

Thanks.

This is San Antonio area

Comment

Look up buffalo grass.

Comment

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...20to%20Mexico.

Comment

Bahia is probably the largest culprit of green grass growing on the side off the highway during a drought.

Comment

Pensacola Bahia....

Comment

Good Lord don’t ever intentionally plant Bahia in your yard. That stuff is the devil on mower blades!

My Sahara Bermuda has done well here

Comment

its green because it isn't mowed often.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Good Lord don’t ever intentionally plant Bahia in your yard. That stuff is the devil on mower blades!

My Sahara Bermuda has done well here
                  Wouldnt know about push mower blades. I had 20 acres of it with a house in the middle. Kubota zero turn ran through that stuff at 3 weeks growth going full speed. Once mowed around the house it was quite comfortable to walk on. I had a adjoining pasture of Tifton Berrmuda and that stuff kicked the Bahia's *** to its side of the fence line.

Now if you let that stuff go for a year you would need a tractor to cut it at any speed.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                    Look up buffalo grass.
                    Ding, ding, ding.

Can't go wrong with what God has put there. May not do well in sandy soils but that should only be more South and East of you.

Comment

Good luck on that Buffalo
                      It's great but I planted some mixed in w my hydromulch its expensive as heck!

Comment

This right here is what you need then lol.

Comment

If you have full sun just seed some Bermuda. Now's about the right time too. You'll have to water to get it established, then you can just forget about it and it will go dormant during drought, and winter, and it will be green when it's warm and has moisture, but it takes alot to kill it. Just common Bermuda.

If you have shade, it's not going to grow

KR bluestem is all over the sides of the roads, but I don't think you want that in your lawn.
                          Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 04-28-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I had Bermuda, some version called 419 ? It ain’t worth a crap.

The green space wild grass stays green even when mowed to the ground during the worst of conditions.

I also have/had St Augustine.

I kept it fertilized, watered, weeded, and this dang sun just beats it down hard. With SAWS ripping you off with sewer charge for every gallon you use, I ain’t wasting money on grass. And, if you live within the city limits, you get a waste water runoff charge based on your improved surfaces.
                            Last edited by Johnny44; 04-28-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                              I had Bermuda, some version called 419 ? It ain’t worth a crap.

The green space wild grass stays green even when mowed to the ground during the worst of conditions.

I also have/had St Augustine.

I kept it fertilized, watered, weeded, and this dang sun just beats it down hard. With SAWS ripping you off with sewer charge for every gallon you use, I ain’t wasting money on grass. And, if you live within the city limits, you get a waste water runoff charge based on your improved surfaces.
                              419 was rrobably turf type burmuda that had to be babied. Just regular common burmuda is tough stuff. Grows everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X