Hammock campers, looking for a lightweight underquilt for hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammock campers, looking for a lightweight underquilt for hiking

My ultralight one-man tent finally died and I'm planning to switch over to hammocks for most of my hiking/camping trips. I have a hammock (but will eventually upgrade) and bug net. A (cheap) tarp is on order and I'm going to keep using my sleeping bag as a top quilt for now.
    I've used a thermarest sleeping pad inside the hammock a few times but it isn't working out for me so I'm the market for a proper underquilt. I need as lightweight as possible due to the amount of gear already in the pack and bad knees from an active childhood. For materials I think I'm going to go with full length, nylon outer and synthetic fill (not as warm but lighter and dries faster).

From what I've read it looks like Warbonnet is gonna be the choice but figured I'd ask here before I pull the trigger. The GRXH folks seem to have this dialed in pretty well so I'm leaning on you guys for advice.

I made mine. It’s light but bulky. There’s plans on the hammock forum to make a goose down packable version.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
      I made mine. It’s light but bulky. There’s plans on the hammock forum to make a goose down packable version.
      Plans here on TBH or another board?

Comment

Look here. I have the New River because I am 6'4" and it is a long under quilt. The Jarbige is a nice one that is smaller. My hammock is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

People seem to think using a hammock is easier than a one man tent. I use them in warm weather. My Hennessy with the under-quilt is as big or bigger than my tent when packed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
            People seem to think using a hammock is easier than a one man tent. I use them in warm weather. My Hennessy with the under-quilt is as big or bigger than my tent when packed.
            I’m going to buy another tent for hiking in places that don’t have trees. The main reason I want a hammock now is to get off the ground. Tired of rocks, cactus and mesquite. Even with a ground sheet I’ve still had punctures in my air mattress.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
              Look here. I have the New River because I am 6'4" and it is a long under quilt. The Jarbige is a nice one that is smaller. My hammock is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Those look pretty great. It also reminds me that I need to look into top quilts. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPun View Post
                I’m going to buy another tent for hiking in places that don’t have trees. The main reason I want a hammock now is to get off the ground. Tired of rocks, cactus and mesquite. Even with a ground sheet I’ve still had punctures in my air mattress.
                Gotcha. I love my Hennessy

Comment

Interested in how you fellas keep the mosquitoes at bay in the warm season? Just a mosquito net draped over?

Comment

Warbonnet BB XLC here.
                    I'm a fan.
                    Spent several years in a Hennessey previously and they are solid,
                    Yak, this model has a screen built in, for mosquitoes and such.
                    The ridgeline keeps it up and out of the way.
                    I run a Hilleberg tarp over the top.
                    Single wall.
                    I use reflective radiant barrier underneath my body, and a full sleeping bag in cold Temps.
                    It's works just as well as a under quilt, and cost about $10.
                    Colorado high country last year.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MadHatter; 04-05-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I have only used my hammock in pretty mild to hot weather, so no idea how well it works in colder temps. I use a really light Kelty camp blanket underneath between myself and the hammock. It keeps me extremely comfortable down to mid 50s. As cold as I’ve tried it.

Comment

Gossamer gear carries a thinlight closed cell foam pad which can be cut how you like it. That is my first protection before underquilt. I use the Warbonnet torso length underquilt.

Comment

Working...
                        X