New arrow build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New arrow build

I’m down to 4 arrows left of my current setup. After killing a few hogs, I’m somewhat disappointed in penetration. The only times that I get a full pass through are if I hit high in “no mans land”. I’m currently pulling 68 pounds. Arrow setup is
    Gold Tip Velocity XT 300 spine at 29.5 inches
    100 point Magnus ser razor 4 blade
    130 grains insert
    3 fletch blazers
    Standard nock
    524 total arrow weight
    20% FOC

I’m leaning towards increasing total arrow weight/FOC, smaller shaft, 2 blade broadhead, and maybe feathers. My arrows seem to hang up on the vanes.

In closing, taking recommendations please.

I'd make sure you're tune is good. No reason that setup shouldn't get through a pig unless you're out of tune or the broadhead is dull as a butter knife.

Comment

I would lean its a tuning issue also.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
        I'd make sure you're tune is good. No reason that setup shouldn't get through a pig unless you're out of tune or the broadhead is dull as a butter knife.
        Shooting bullet holes through paper and broadheads are shaving hair. Broadheads get come out about 6-8 inches. That’s why I was thinking the fletching keeps the arrow from a full pass through.

Comment

I shot a 150 lb hog between the eyes and my arrow was hanging out of his ham by the fletching. 500 grain arrow and 70lb bow.. I'm actually dropping down to 450 grains to get my speed back up above 290 fps . I've had pass through on Elk pigs deer. Even shot through both front legs of a doe. You shouldn't have any trouble. Unless you are using a big mechanicals which you arent..
          Last edited by jds247; 12-08-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

You do want you think needs to be done, but that’s enough arrow for any animal on the North American continent. I’m not a fan of the “ser razor”. I’d start there before reinventing the wheel

Broadheads hit with field points at 30-40 yards?
            Last edited by Low Fence; 12-08-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              You do want you think needs to be done, but that’s enough arrow for any animal on the North American continent. I’m not a fan of the “ser razor”. I’d start there before reinventing the wheel

Broadheads hit with field points at 30-40 yards?
              Yes, they do. I can try some different heads on my current arrows to see if that helps. Thanks.

Comment

Don’t see why that wouldn’t pass through. Unless your hitting heavy bone

Comment

I guess I should just keep slinging arrows and re-evaluate.

No one has had issues where the fletching stops the pass through?

Comment

IF you are shooting from an elevated position maybe your arrow is hitting the ground on the other side of the pigs. They are short critters. If you do hunt elevated, maybe try a few kills from the ground to see if there is any difference. (just trying to spitball ideas for you)

Comment

I just built a very similar set up for this year. I was shooting a 425GR TAW, and wanted more weight/FOC so here is what I am at now: 70LB draw, 30" arrows, QAD Exodus BH's, 125GR insert, 527GR TAW, 18%FOC. I have been zipping through all the pigs I have shot this year, a couple in the 150+ weight range. Hunting from a ground blind makes me nervous as the arrow travels so far past the animal, I am worried about losing them. The last one was 30 yards past, stuck in a tree. I am not sure why you are having penetration issues with your set up, but like others have said, I would start with double and triple checking the tune with bare shafts, then move on to the BH.

Comment

I know some people on here don't like the guy but youtube something call arrow penetration "impact paradox." Troy talks in depth about a theory of an arrow wobbling on impact killing penetration. I still see it as a theory but it is interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                          IF you are shooting from an elevated position maybe your arrow is hitting the ground on the other side of the pigs. They are short critters. If you do hunt elevated, maybe try a few kills from the ground to see if there is any difference. (just trying to spitball ideas for you)
                          My feet are about 25 ft off of the ground. Pigs are at 17-20 yards. I can see the broadhead come out 6-8 inches out of the other side.

Comment

The GT Velocity is a very light arrow. I'm not a "Ranch Fairy" heavy arrow guy, but IMO, go with a heavier arrow, less spine and drop the insert weight. Don't increase total weight, and don't slow it down with feathers.

Just MTC.

Comment

that makes zero sense. at 68lbs and an arrow at 525gr will pass through any anomal in north america.

something is wrong.
                              1 bad arrow flight.
                              2 incorrect broadhead.

you need to fix. 525gr is a great weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X