Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #401
Brannon74
Pope & Young

Hunt In: sw oklahoma

Just read all through this post. Awesome place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brannon74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #402
Jcav
Four Point

Hunt In: Turkey, TX/Western OK/Atoka, OK

Micah,

Do the hogs not bother your protein or corn feeders? I figured they would be all over them without pens.
Jcav is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #403
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcav View Post
Micah,

Do the hogs not bother your protein or corn feeders? I figured they would be all over them without pens.

Knock on wood but in the last 18 months Iíve had one hog on camera. Hoping that holds.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #404
CentralTXHunter
Eight Point

Iím new to TBH and just stumbled upon this post today. Incredible read. The stories. The pictures. Absolutely amazing to see the progress on your place in such a short period of time. Youíve definitely earned a lot of sweat-equity. Not to mention the incredible memories with your kids. Doing the same is high on my list of priorities. Iíve got a 5 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. Heís sat in the stand with me since he was 3, but I dream of having a place of our own to hunt on and make memories. We lost two leases this year due to the properties being sold. Iím fortunate enough to have a couple setups at the in-laws to hunt this year, but having a place that is mine and not be beholden to a landowners whims is something I strongly desire. This thread has truly been an inspiration. I look forward to seeing the continued progress and memories made. Thank you so much for sharing.

CentralTXHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #405
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Congrats!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #406
antonlsu
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria TX & SW MO

This thread sums up where i'd like to be in ~20 years.

Will continue to follow, good luck this year.
antonlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #407
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Default Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Been a while but all is well at the Ponderosa! We got the Titanic up to the Hilltop but every time we tried to get her up, Mother Nature had other ideas. Wound up setting her up on blocks until I can get her set up.

The boy and I put many an hour in the woods with him set on taking his first buck with a crossbow. On his last morning he shot a spike. After a 600 yard+ blood trail we were unable to recover the deer. It appears that he rushed the shot a bit and hit him low and back.

He was holding out for this little buck but the deer didnít read the script.

With limited time in the woods we made the most of it. We hit a significant milestone by Mr. Hunt going on his first solo sit. He had the X-bow and blood in his eyes.

After 2.5 hours he headed to the house and had breakfast with Mom. Good times!

Itís special to make memories on your own piece of ground.

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 02-12-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #408
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co

It was a seccessfull season whether a kill was made or not. Good times!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #409
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
It was a seccessfull season whether a kill was made or not. Good times!
No doubt
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #410
Iamhooked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas,Oklahoma and Kansas

Thanks for the update. I had wondered how y'alls season ended.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Iamhooked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #411
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

With all the social distancing we decided to pack up recently and head up to the Hilltop. Being at home for weeks with three teens, a wife, and a dog are enough to make the best ofíem say uncle.

Spent quite a bit of time just drinking coffee and enjoying the quiet.

Throwing skeet for the kids doesnít get old.

The winter food plot is still producing. Amy had enough to cook turnips.

A little campfire time is good for the soul.

Things should start cranking up in the coming weeks as some improvement projects will begin!
Old 04-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #412
Darton
Ten Point

With all of the wonderful experiences that come from owning land, these are truly best Good Job Dad
Old 04-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #413
wingnut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County & SE Oklahoma

Looks like you and the family are having a very relaxing trip!
wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #414
DZM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack Counties, TX, & SE OK

Great place to get away with the family. Place is looking good!
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #415
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Got back up to the hilltop this past weekend for some more social distancing with Mr. Hunt. (There are advantages to the lockdown....you just have to look for them)

The previous owner of the property had a real ďLove HateĒ problem. He absolutely Loved going to auctions AND he l absolutely Hated to throw anything away! Over the span of 18 years people with this disorder either die from an avalanche of junk or they achieve stardom by being featured on an episode of Hoarders!

Weíve been burning junk for months now do this trip was no different other than we were burning barn junk (from one of two barns that we chose to tackle) rather than burning outside-strewn-hither-and-yon junk.

Weíve got a 1940ís Ford 8N tractor and 18í junk trailer allocated to just this purpose.

After a full trailer of junk hauled to the burn pile I found a usable shop!

Barn #2

Something healthy about purging!
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #416
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

After the burning was done it was time to add a permanent mineral site to the place. We already have trophy rock wired to a cedar stump using the ďDarton methodĒ but wanted another on the South side.

This spot is North of Mollyís bow stand and has pretty good cover with cedars on three sides. It also is adjacent to a thick area where I believe does bed.

We mixed salt that you would add to your water softening system with dicalcium phosphate. I mixed up a five gallon bucket of it. This is a lot more economical method as well.

After working and loosening the dirt it mixed in well.

I put a camera on the site to document how quickly they find it, how much they use it, and what other animals will do the same.

More to come on this.

Molly and I recently began QDMAís Deer Steward 1 course on line and I must say that it is fascinating. Iíve read book after book after book and my share of hunting magazines for years and have already figured out that a lot of the information that is out there about deer and deer hunting is a cross between opinion, myth, and anecdotal conclusions.

Science based coursework covering deer physiology, anatomy, behavior, etc. etc. has been eye opening!

If you crave real information about this animal you wonít go wrong with the QDMA courses.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #417
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Just read through this thread for the first time. Amazing!
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #418
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Just caught up on your thread. Y’all have come a long ways. Great work!!
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #419
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
Just caught up on your thread. Yíall have come a long ways. Great work!!
Thank you, Sir. This has been a journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Just read through this thread for the first time. Amazing!
Glad to have you along!
Old 05-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #420
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Molly and I were up on the hilltop this weekend marking out our sanctuaries and getting ready to start hinge cutting and opening up the canopy.

Our place is 93% hardwood with a heavy mix of oaks, hickory, elm, and walnut with a moderate sprinkling of cedar. We have broad swaths that get very little light to the forest floor so selective hinge cutting should do wonders for increasing the tonnage of browse that is available.

The first sanctuary is the largest, which will be around 12 acres in size. This area has some of the toughest terrain but largest trees and greatest opportunity to increase fawning cover. This one will take multiple trips to complete and should be a heck of a workout.

The second area is roughly five acres in size and is on a North facing slope. Iím going to leave a good buffer between it and one of our trails just to the South. This one will also help shield some of our movements to and from one of our mineral sites.

Been working with Darton on my QDMA Management Plan over the last couple of weeks. Iím looking forward to a consultation and inspection of the property in the coming weeks. Walking the property with a couple of truly knowledgeable deer stewards will be a real blessing! I hope to identify the additional steps that can be taken to maximize the potential of our place.

I believe that I mentioned before that my soon to be sophomore daughter is considering wildlife biology as a career field so weíve been working through QDMAís deer steward-I course.

After completing the initial habitat management module Iím re-evaluating how we manage our property. We are surrounded on three sides by heavy oak forests that have the same characteristics as ours so the sanctuaries we are creating should help provide much needed cover and browse. Iíll be interested in seeing how our recruitment numbers and overall densities are impacted over time.

On a different note, over the last two years Iíve been able to make contact with and get to know (to varying degrees) most of my neighboring land owners. We are blessed to be surrounded by blocks of timber that are mostly land locked, being very difficult to access. Over the last couple of months Iíve secured hunting access to a 40-acre block bordering us on the East. A purchase may be in our future if we can come to an agreement. I hope that this is the first of several expansions of the place if itís the Lordís will! This is a long term adventure.

We checked the trail camera from the new mineral site and had a couple of does checking it out within six hours. From the looks of it we should see steady traffic here from now on.

Also, the first of this yearís fawns will start to drop in the coming weeks! Looking forward to this and seeing the bucks start their steady build!

More to come....

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 05-02-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #421
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Fantastic stuff Booner! Headed up to my place tomorrow to get some much needed mowing done. Been a while since Iíve been there. Having a baby puts things on hold. Definitely interested to see how your sanctuaryís go! Iíve been wanting to do that, but once you cut thereís no going back. Just havenít nailed down a plan yet.

SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #422
DZM
Ten Point

Very cool! Looking forward to more updates
Old 05-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #423
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Really great thread!!! Keep it up!!!
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #424
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

While we were up last weekend we cycled the Trophy Rock Cedar Pop camera. The cedar post is getting pretty slick!

If you havenít tried the Trophy Rock on a post, give it a try. Iíve been impressed.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #425
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Although we are on a ridge a couple hundred feet above the valley floor you wouldnít believe how much mud materializes with every rain! On our last trip we had our first load of rock delivered. I know it isnít sexy but I can tell you that Iím excited to start the process of rocking the high traffic areas!

3Ē rock will be a great base but it will wear you out. Got it spread with the box blade but heavy raked the edges until the heavy rake quit on me. This is the first of five or six loads that we will need. For those that donít recognize the barn, thatís because itís actually junk free for the first time (likely ever). I spent a few hours cleaning it out.

While at the Nashoba lease I loaded up the shooting bench that Dad built 25 years ago. For those who know me know that refurbishing the late Mr. Huntís handiwork will be a labor of love.

More to come on this.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #426
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Congrats! Always something to do, But SO SATIFYING when you step back & look when you get through!
Your piece of heaven is lookin great!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #427
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Congrats! Always something to do, But SO SATIFYING when you step back & look when you get through!
Your piece of heaven is lookin great!

Thank you, Sir. Indeed! ALWAYS something else to do, which is the fun of it.

Itís a journey...
Old 05-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #428
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

During our last outing it became clear that we need to have dedicated, comfortable campfire chairs. Sitting around in bag chairs just isnít going to cut it.

We have two older Adirondack chairs there so I figure Iíd try my hand at building a few more. Having a matching set is the goal.

Lord only knows how old this one is.

At this point I had a thought that this could get expensive if I cannot build these!

Home Depot had what I needed. I bought furring strips for much of this rather than common boards.

Using the existing pieces as my pattern, the chop saw and jig saw made quick work to this point.

Not a perfect copy but close enough! There will be minor modifications to the next ones.

Now itís time to make two more.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #429
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Great job!
I may have to try the mineral rock post idea. I didn’t have much luck with trophy Rick at my place but willing to give this another chance. Is it a cedar tree you cut off and trimmed up or just a cedar post you buried. How did you attach the rock to the top?
Old 05-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #430
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Booner, I check in on this thread every now and then and catch up. Amazing ! I’ve bought and improved a couple places in my life. It’s satisfying work. If I were younger, I’d be your neighbor !
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #431
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Booner, I check in on this thread every now and then and catch up. Amazing ! Iíve bought and improved a couple places in my life. Itís satisfying work. If I were younger, Iíd be your neighbor !
Iíd be glad to have you as a neighbor any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Great job!
I may have to try the mineral rock post idea. I didnít have much luck with trophy Rick at my place but willing to give this another chance. Is it a cedar tree you cut off and trimmed up or just a cedar post you buried. How did you attach the rock to the top?
The Trophy Rock Cedar Pop idea was a suggestion from Darton. He did this on his place with good results. Not sure if he holds the patent but thatís where I got it from.

This is a live cedar tree that I cut off. I screwed three inch decking screws two inches from
the top and used electric fence wire to keep the rock in place. Every couple of months I tighten down the wire to keep it in place. Itís been there since last year. Doing so keeps the mineral in place, not allowing the deer to push the mineral out of camera range.

Itís also in a perfect shooting lane from my Millennium hang on!
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 PM   #432
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Gonna have to give it a try
Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #433
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

With the assistance of Molly and Mr. Hunt we got the last three chairs constructed. This was his first real usage of the chop saw and jig saw. All in all a good first effort!

Next stop will be the campfire test!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #434
Shake N' Bake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post

With the assistance of Molly and Mr. Hunt we got the last three chairs constructed. This was his first real usage of the chop saw and jig saw. All in all a good first effort!

Next stop will be the campfire test!
I'm super impressed!! You've got skills!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #435
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
I'm super impressed!! You've got skills!

Getting the kids to participate and cut the build time by ~30% was the biggest feat!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #436
Darton
Ten Point

Definitely a skill I do not possess! Great way to spend a rainy weekend
Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #437
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Since last year we have been working toward attaining the Legacy Lands certification from QDMA. This is the highest certification level offered by QDMA and is only awarded to model properties. Once we are able to meet the 14 standards required for the Legacy Lands designation it signifies that we meet the highest level of land protection, conservation, stewardship, and commitment to the preservation of our hunting heritage. The past couple of weeks have been about putting the finishing touches on things ahead of our inspection, which is scheduled for next weekend. A QDMA inspector is driving in from Kansas and is meeting Darton on our place to walk the property, review and approve our written management plan, and make recommendations.

Iím excited to be able to have a consultation from a pair of dedicated deer pros. Being able to lay out my vision for the property and get recommendations for herd management, timber stand improvement, food plot program, etc. is a rare opportunity!

My quest to remove all the leftover junk from the previous owner marches on...and on...and on. Our 18í trailer continues to fill up.

While removing some junk from around one of our open sided pole barns I discovered a trespasser.

He was healthy.

To be sure his family doesnít stay around I did the only thing a reasonable man could to in this situation.

Nowhere left to hide!

The wheat and clover plot is now overgrown.

Driving the perimeter I can see beds galore! Nearly ran over a fawn on Wednesday evening. Little guy broke and ran as I was stepping off the four wheeler. Had to change my drawers.

That said, fawns are starting to show up on camera.

Based on gestation period I put this doe being bred around October 29th. Still have plenty of does on camera that have yet to fawn.

Also, the blackberries are coming along nicely.

Looks like a bumper crop this year!

And finally, I took some time this week to walk our ridge and flag the trees I plan on taking out to improve the forage and cover. The focus will be on immature post oaks, hickory, and larger elms.

If my methodology is confirmed to be correct Iíll be initiating a timber stand improvement effort this summer. We will see what Darton and the inspector have to say!

More to come.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #438
DZM
Ten Point

Burn it down after finding the intruder! I love it. I would have done the same. Place is looking great-
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #439
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZM View Post
Burn it down after finding the intruder! I love it. I would have done the same. Place is looking great-

Thank you, Sir. Just seemed like the most logical choice.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #440
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

With a few days before the next trip I decided to tackle Mr. Huntís shooting bench. I loaded it up and brought it back to the house for refurbishment. As a reminder, this was built by my Father about 25 years ago. We used it for several years before he passed and our place was sold. This has been sitting at our Nashoba lease for around 17 years.

After disassembly and inspection I was impressed as to how well the pipe has held up!

The abrasive wheel took care of the rust in short order!

Base primer should seal her up nicely.

...and two coats of crimson later we are ready to turn attention to the bench and top.

After much cogitation I elected to go back with Mr. Huntís original design and dimensions for the top. Went so far as to remove and reuse the 2.5Ē wood screws from the original top. Used pressure treated 2x6ís reinforced with 2x4ís. In a word: heavy....to the point of being the second place I would go if ever confronted by a tornado.

Due to the weight, the boy and I elected to load the newly painted pipe base onto the trailer and install the top there.

Four pilot holes and lag bolts later the top is secured.....and the family gets the garage back.

Next step is finishing the seat and rounding out the corners. Feels good to breathe life back into something that Dad spent time creating years ago....and knowing that it will be used now on our place for years to come.

More to come....
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #441
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Love following this, also that bench and memories attached is amazing. Keep up the great work!
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #442
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Boomer Sooner for the use of OU red!
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #443
Darton
Ten Point

Awesome job sir She will no doubt provide many more years of faithful service! My only suggestion is that a color change to orange may help with public relations in your neck of the woods
Old 06-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #444
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
Awesome job sir She will no doubt provide many more years of faithful service! My only suggestion is that a color change to orange may help with public relations in your neck of the woods
No doubt we are squarely in OSU country here! I want to be able to hit what I shoot at when zeroing the rifle which is why I chose this color. If I painted it bright orange it would likely just develop a pattern of getting me excited but not finishing, and if I painted her burnt orange Iíd definitely have to overhaul her every couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Love following this, also that bench and memories attached is amazing. Keep up the great work!
Thank you, Sir. Iím honoring a legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whunt View Post
Boomer Sooner for the use of OU red!
Yes Sir! Same as the Adirondack chairs...thanks for following along.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #445
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

The inspection for our QDMA legacy lands certification took place yesterday. Inspectors Tim Donges and Jay Cassels met me at my property at 8:00 am and were a wealth of knowledge. I was very impressed with their detail and the depth of the discussion which 100% focused to developing my property in such a way that we absolutely maximize our potential.

From the evaluation of site maps (surface, contours, infrared, soil type, etc.) to reviewing herd management (deer density, sex ratio, fawn recruitment rate, age structure, etc.) to reviewing and making recommendations regarding habitat and hunter management they left no stone unturned.

We walked the property and I was able to discuss our challenges and paint a picture of what we want to accomplish here. The encouraging news is that both Tim and Jay believe that we can achieve our goals with time and hard work. It is incredibly rare to have advisors of this caliber place their full focus on your property, give you honest feedback, and make recommendations based on research, science, and years of experience. These men are in regular conversation, learning from the foremost wildlife biologist in the world that specialize in whitetail deer (Dr. Harper, Dr. Miller, and others). Based on their intimate knowledge of my property when they showed up it was clear that they invested a lot of their time in leaning and talking about my property ahead of time. The five hours we spent together reviewing data, walking the property, and discussing what needs to be done really flew by. I guess that is what happens when you are immersed in conversation on a topic that you are passionate about.

Tim and Jay provided recommendations that, although challenging, are quite feasible when taken in steps. Next week Iíll be in contact with the Oklahoma Forestry Service. Iíll set up a meeting with a state forester on our property to set up a timber stand improvement plan. If there is enough marketable timber on our place Iíll want to let a lot of the heavy lifting be done by a logging company.

Regardless of how much marketable timber there is and the attractiveness of the timber our first step is to begin removing trees. We are going to use three modes of action including physically removing (chainsaw), herbicide application, and prescribed fire to set back one of our primary hunting areas to an early successional stage. This 12 acre ridge top is currently dominated by hardwoods. We are going to start the process of taking out enough of the trees so that we are getting about half of the forest floor bathed in sunlight. This will occur in August. Iíll primarily girdle the trees and use a herbicide to kill them as quickly as possible. Some of the smaller diameter trees will be felled but the majority will be girdled. By girdling Iíll kill the tree which will achieve the objective of getting light to the ground and the tree will just deteriorate over time rather than be on the ground impeding movement and growth. Before the spring green up Iíll come in to this ridge top and use prescribed fire to eliminate the deadfall and leaf litter from the ground, setting the stage for an explosion of forbes and woody stems. In short, next spring and summer should be a bonanza of food and cover, unlike the local deer herd has seen.

After this we will turn our focus to enhancing our two sanctuaries (~10 acres and ~5 acres) by hinge cutting and girdling both. This will achieve much of the same objectives as in our ridge top but it will be much thicker. Iíll post up more about this as we get closer as both are scheduled for next year.

With my baseline herd data, existing habitat documented, and a solid plan now in place, we begin! Although I am going to be aggressive, this process takes time. My hope is that we see a marked improvement in densities, recruitment, harvest weights, and age structure within three years, however it may take a little longer. Either way, we are investing for the long haul.

In closing Iíd like to say a special thanks from me and my family to Tim and Jay for their time and effort. When people genuinely care, you can tell because you canít fake it when dealing with people who have passion for this sport. These two men have it in spades and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to work with them.

Thanks for joining us in this journey.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #446
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
The inspection for our QDMA legacy lands certification took place yesterday. Inspectors Tim Donges and Jay Cassels met me at my property at 8:00 am and were a wealth of knowledge. I was very impressed with their detail and the depth of the discussion which 100% focused to developing my property in such a way that we absolutely maximize our potential.

From the evaluation of site maps (surface, contours, infrared, soil type, etc.) to reviewing herd management (deer density, sex ratio, fawn recruitment rate, age structure, etc.) to reviewing and making recommendations regarding habitat and hunter management they left no stone unturned.

We walked the property and I was able to discuss our challenges and paint a picture of what we want to accomplish here. The encouraging news is that both Tim and Jay believe that we can achieve our goals with time and hard work. It is incredibly rare to have advisors of this caliber place their full focus on your property, give you honest feedback, and make recommendations based on research, science, and years of experience. These men are in regular conversation, learning from the foremost wildlife biologist in the world that specialize in whitetail deer (Dr. Harper, Dr. Miller, and others). Based on their intimate knowledge of my property when they showed up it was clear that they invested a lot of their time in leaning and talking about my property ahead of time. The five hours we spent together reviewing data, walking the property, and discussing what needs to be done really flew by. I guess that is what happens when you are immersed in conversation on a topic that you are passionate about.

Tim and Jay provided recommendations that, although challenging, are quite feasible when taken in steps. Next week Iíll be in contact with the Oklahoma Forestry Service. Iíll set up a meeting with a state forester on our property to set up a timber stand improvement plan. If there is enough marketable timber on our place Iíll want to let a lot of the heavy lifting be done by a logging company.

Regardless of how much marketable timber there is and the attractiveness of the timber our first step is to begin removing trees. We are going to use three modes of action including physically removing (chainsaw), herbicide application, and prescribed fire to set back one of our primary hunting areas to an early successional stage. This 12 acre ridge top is currently dominated by hardwoods. We are going to start the process of taking out enough of the trees so that we are getting about half of the forest floor bathed in sunlight. This will occur in August. Iíll primarily girdle the trees and use a herbicide to kill them as quickly as possible. Some of the smaller diameter trees will be felled but the majority will be girdled. By girdling Iíll kill the tree which will achieve the objective of getting light to the ground and the tree will just deteriorate over time rather than be on the ground impeding movement and growth. Before the spring green up Iíll come in to this ridge top and use prescribed fire to eliminate the deadfall and leaf litter from the ground, setting the stage for an explosion of forbes and woody stems. In short, next spring and summer should be a bonanza of food and cover, unlike the local deer herd has seen.

After this we will turn our focus to enhancing our two sanctuaries (~10 acres and ~5 acres) by hinge cutting and girdling both. This will achieve much of the same objectives as in our ridge top but it will be much thicker. Iíll post up more about this as we get closer as both are scheduled for next year.

With my baseline herd data, existing habitat documented, and a solid plan now in place, we begin! Although I am going to be aggressive, this process takes time. My hope is that we see a marked improvement in densities, recruitment, harvest weights, and age structure within three years, however it may take a little longer. Either way, we are investing for the long haul.

In closing Iíd like to say a special thanks from me and my family to Tim and Jay for their time and effort. When people genuinely care, you can tell because you canít fake it when dealing with people who have passion for this sport. These two men have it in spades and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to work with them.

Thanks for joining us in this journey.

Awesome stuff! Canít wait to see it transform!

SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #447
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

The rejuvenated shooting bench made the journey North and has found a new home on the hilltop.

Iíll let the pressure treated top and seat fully dry before hitting it with a stain and sealer.

Her final resting place will likely be on the South side of the property but I have yet to clear this area. Once this occurs I will build a cover to keep her and the shooters out of the elements.

On another note the newly completed chairs fit nicely on the porch until the next campfire.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #448
Darton
Ten Point

I feel fortunate to be a part of the process and the journey Look forward to all of your projects yet to come
Old 07-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #449
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

During this past weekís trip to the Hilltop I took the opportunity to begin clearing the 12 acres on the ridge. I know it isnít August yet but the three elements (Fueled up chainsaw with freshly sharpened chain, time, and energy) came together. This was a good chance to make sure the saws were up to task to come.

The state forester has yet to get to us for the timber cruise and timber stand improvement plan but it shouldnít be too long.

After a few hours of work I was encouraged. 12 acres, one man, a set of chainsaws seemed daunting but it is definitely manageable!

My focus was primarily felling the smaller diameter trees but I practiced girdling.

A minor height adjustment to the trophy rock cedar pop cedar tree, new trophy rock installed, and we are ready for another year.

...and yes, I was wearing matching shorts and muck boots.

Mom lives in Medford, Oregon and this was her first trip to the Hilltop. She wanted to see the entirety of the place and we were glad to show off! At 64 she prefers the kid four wheeler.

The top to the shooting bench sufficiently dried out so she got a couple of coats of stain.

We are heading back to the Hilltop this weekend and another step will be taken. Next weekend Molly and I are registered for a burn school through the Oklahoma Prescribed Burn Association. After learning about the awesome benefits of prescribed burns through QDMAís Deer Steward-I course we are going to learn how to do it safely. More to come...

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #450
HuntingTexas
Spike

Hunt In: Texas

A great read and a great place you’re creating. Kudos sir.
HuntingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top