Tires Size MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires Size MPG

why does increasing the tires size on a truck, say F250 4x4 crew gasoline engine, drastically reduce gas mileage?. I could understand some but I read of some going from 18 to 13 but that might have been a diesel.

Increased rotating mass
    Reduced aerodynamics
    Increased final drive ratio

Screws up the odometer if speedo is not calibrated, throwing off your true mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More drag. The truck sits higher. Catching more air. Bigger tires weigh more.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Less revolutions in a mile. When your going 65 according to your truck but your really going 68-69.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
          Less revolutions in a mile. When your going 65 according to your truck but your really going 68-69.
          catch is its a little more load on engine so will have to use a little mo fuel..and with taller truck it will cause mo air drag which will also cause more load and mo fuel to be consumed...

like Dale and Shiner said above...

Comment

The above is true but not always..my 2012 Ram with 373 gears likes 35" tires, once calibrated for the larger than stock tire my mileage improved 2-3 mpg

Comment

There's more factors.
              I had a 2002 F350 diesel that got 18mpg with 12" of lift, 38" tires, and a programmer. There was plenty of motor, in that truck, for all that.

On the other hand, if you put 35s on an Ecoboost, it's going to suffer. That motor is really designed to pull the truck just as it comes off the assembly line.

Comment

Working...
              X