Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
    Booner, are you planning to plant multiple plots?

Feeders looking good! I’m planning on heading up to my place on Sunday to mow, move a feeder, check cams, and spray for my plot. I think I’m just going to do one main plot and two feeders. Haven’t really figured that out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be planting around an acre and a half for the main plot but have two other “Micro-plots” or kill plots that I want to plant. Going to try my hand at some clover in some of these. This may be a multi-year experiment to see what grows well and the locals like to eat! [emoji3]

Hoping that the feeders help them through the tougher months and working to introduce the local herd to the golden nuggets.

Sounds like the weekend will be incredibly productive! What product will you be spraying? Also, is this a pull behind sprayer, backpack sprayer, other?

Comment

You have me motivated to restore the old feeders I have behind the shop.

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Originally posted by Darton View Post
        You could get you a second career by opening a Metal Fabrication shop!

HA! At my pace I guarantee I’d go broke! This is strictly a labor of love.

Originally posted by Iamhooked View Post
        You have me motivated to restore the old feeders I have behind the shop.

You strike me as the kind of guy that is perpetually motivated! From the looks of your projects on the new place you’ve got that in spades! Glad I can be of some sort of assistance. [emoji3]

Got a few more steps along in the process.

Used a different primer on the twin feeder. This is for clean metal. It’s not as thick as the rusted metal version. We will see how they do over the years.

Will be putting the first coat of paint on and turning my attention to the winch this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
          I’ll be planting around an acre and a half for the main plot but have two other “Micro-plots” or kill plots that I want to plant. Going to try my hand at some clover in some of these. This may be a multi-year experiment to see what grows well and the locals like to eat! [emoji3]

Hoping that the feeders help them through the tougher months and working to introduce the local herd to the golden nuggets.

Sounds like the weekend will be incredibly productive! What product will you be spraying? Also, is this a pull behind sprayer, backpack sprayer, other?
          Awesome! I'm trying to decide if I should do a couple of kill plots. I have one spot across the creek that I have to put waders on to get to that would be perfect for a small <1/4 ac plot. I'll be spraying my plots with a small 2 gallon pump sprayer unless I buy a backpack sprayer tomorrow at TSC. I plan to spay them with GroundWork Super weed and grass killer. My thinking is if I spray now with the small sprayer and need to hit the missed spots in September I'll be okay with that. I'm hoping that I can spray then throw without mowing. I'm planning to plant elbon rye and mbs seed plot booster. All of those seeds are small, so if I can throw before a good rain in September I think it'll give me something green and give the deer options. I don't think my deer have ever seen a feeder. I was out there around July 4th and watched a deer come out into the opening, see the feeder, look confused, then took off running and blowing. Ha Sunday I have a customer of mine bringing his tractor up to mow for me. Going to hopefully get some trails through some of the thick woods to have other spots to hunt. My place is super thick since they did a cut/replant about 10 years ago. I'll post some pics on my thread when we finish up.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the progress!

Comment

looks great, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              Awesome! I'm trying to decide if I should do a couple of kill plots. I have one spot across the creek that I have to put waders on to get to that would be perfect for a small <1/4 ac plot. I'll be spraying my plots with a small 2 gallon pump sprayer unless I buy a backpack sprayer tomorrow at TSC. I plan to spay them with GroundWork Super weed and grass killer. My thinking is if I spray now with the small sprayer and need to hit the missed spots in September I'll be okay with that. I'm hoping that I can spray then throw without mowing. I'm planning to plant elbon rye and mbs seed plot booster. All of those seeds are small, so if I can throw before a good rain in September I think it'll give me something green and give the deer options. I don't think my deer have ever seen a feeder. I was out there around July 4th and watched a deer come out into the opening, see the feeder, look confused, then took off running and blowing. Ha Sunday I have a customer of mine bringing his tractor up to mow for me. Going to hopefully get some trails through some of the thick woods to have other spots to hunt. My place is super thick since they did a cut/replant about 10 years ago. I'll post some pics on my thread when we finish up.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the progress!

Waders! Now that should make for an interesting Fall if the cold, November rain comes down! I like it!

1/4 acre plot should be a good attractant and big enough to draw them. That is allot of work when we are talking about a poor man plot. That said, if you can get some timely rain it should be a good payoff.

Funny about the feeders, we’ve got remote areas on our lease East of Nashoba that hold deer that are the same way. I’m pretty sure that some have never seen a human or been hunted.

Where are you planning to get your seen from? Will you plant and fertilize at the same time?

Comment

Waders! Now that should make for an interesting Fall if the cold, November rain comes down! I like it!

1/4 acre plot should be a good attractant and big enough to draw them. That is allot of work when we are talking about a poor man plot. That said, if you can get some timely rain it should be a good payoff.

Funny about the feeders, we’ve got remote areas on our lease East of Nashoba that hold deer that are the same way. I’m pretty sure that some have never seen a human or been hunted.

Where are you planning to get your seen from? Will you plant and fertilize at the same time?

Haha yeah waders if I want to hunt that side of the creek. I have two telephone poles that I think will reach across the creek where I could build a small bridge with them, but I don't have a way to get them across right now.

I think 1/4 will be good enough and it would be located really close to their bedding area. It's super thick around that area and would be a good spot for the rut.

I think most places around me just run cattle. I haven't seen a deer blind in any of the pastures, no feeders, or anything that stands out to me that shows someone hunting via google earth.

I plan to throw seed and fertilizer at the same time. I think the elbon rye will grow like I want. I'm trying to get plenty of that down where I can just do the throw and mow method for my plots from here on forward, but it may take a while to build up a good soil base for that. All experimenting. I will be getting my seed from D&L Agmart in McKinney. They carry MBS seed. The elbon rye is more than I wanted it to be, but if I shipped it from MBS seed it would cost me more than double. D&L carries the fall deer mix from MBS, but I'm not sure I want to plant a premixed food plot.

Comment

That sounds like a good plan. Lots of work for your wife to hunt Queen’s landing. I’ll check out your thread to get a sense of the size of the creek. If you have a spot that is narrow enough you could convert a shipping container to a bridge. I know an old boy that would practically give you one.

Comment

That sounds like a good plan. Lots of work for your wife to hunt Queen’s landing. I’ll check out your thread to get a sense of the size of the creek. If you have a spot that is narrow enough you could convert a shipping container to a bridge. I know an old boy that would practically give you one.
                    Hahaha I don't know if I'd have a way to get it across the creek or I'd go that route. I don't think the people of Oklahoma build very strong bridges. That same creek runs to the main road that I enter my place on and that bridge is made out of wood, and only a little wider than my truck.

Comment

I would at least try a test plot of Triticale. It is a wheat/rye hybrid. It produces abundant forage, higher in protein, and is more digestable that wheat or rye. It is also more freeze resistant than wheat or rye. In Iowa the deer hammer the Triticale. The picture below is a Triticale field across the road from our farm. Enlarge the picture and look closely. There is a good buck standing in that little brushy draw. He was locked on a doe and was not moving. I had seen a group of deer right at daylight feeding way out in the Triticale. This picture was taken at about 11:00am. I had permission to hunt this ground. I pulled my truck over about 50 yards past the brush pile and tried to put a stalk on the buck. I got about 25 yards from where he was when a second doe that I had not seen busted me. The buck never paid any attention to me but followed the does. If you are not familiar with Triticale do some research on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Darton &amp;amp; Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        I would at least try a test plot of Triticale. It is a wheat/rye hybrid. It produces abundant forage, higher in protein, and is more digestable that wheat or rye. It is also more freeze resistant than wheat or rye. In Iowa the deer hammer the Triticale. The picture below is a Triticale field across the road from our farm. Enlarge the picture and look closely. There is a good buck standing in that little brushy draw. He was locked on a doe and was not moving. I had seen a group of deer right at daylight feeding way out in the Triticale. This picture was taken at about 11:00am. I had permission to hunt this ground. I pulled my truck over about 50 yards past the brush pile and tried to put a stalk on the buck. I got about 25 yards from where he was when a second doe that I had not seen busted me. The buck never paid any attention to me but followed the does. If you are not familiar with Triticale do some research on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good information, Arrowsmith. I’ll look at the Triticale. Never heard of it before now. Anything planted on this place will likely have the local deer population scratching their head at first. Hopefully a few years of spring and fall plots along with supplemental feeding will have them adjusting their range a bit so they can stay slightly more fat, dumb, and happy. I’ve got the does and the cover. Add a consistent food source and I hope to have the recipe for long term success!

I wish I had a creek running through this place so I could make a connex bridge! [emoji12]

Molly helped me get the twin feeder primered, two coats of paint, added a solar panel, and a new timer.

Added a funnel to this one. Should work better.

The hand winch on this one was in pretty rough shape. Grinding the rust away took a while.
                        New paint and will add new cable this weekend. She should be good to go.

Heading back up to the hilltop this coming weekend and will have feeder #2 running.

Can’t wait.
                        Last edited by Booner Sooner; 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Good information, Arrowsmith. I’ll look at the Triticale. Never heard of it before now. Anything planted on this place will likely have the local deer population scratching their head at first. Hopefully a few years of spring and fall plots along with supplemental feeding will have them adjusting their range a bit so they can stay slightly more fat, dumb, and happy. I’ve got the does and the cover. Add a consistent food source and I hope to have the recipe for long term success!

I wish I had a creek running through this place so I could make a connex bridge! [emoji12]

Molly helped me get the twin feeder primered, two coats of paint, added a solar panel, and a new timer.

The hand winch on this one was in pretty rough shape. Grinding the rust away took a while.
                          New paint and white lol add new cable this weekend. She should be good to go.

Heading back up to the hilltop this coming weekend and will have feeder #2 running.

Can’t wait.
                          That Molly is a trooper Looking forward to the deployment Excellent product as usual

Comment

fine work as usual sir

Comment

I know $$ maybe an issue. But from experience always clear more then you want, because you will be back doing it again if not. Ask me how I know lol

3-5 acres in middle of that or on main travel paths would be awesome. A big centralized food plot and year around feeding. THose big fields will have plenty of game in them at night

Comment

New paint and will add new cable this weekend. She should be good to go.

Can’t wait.
                                Yeah,no you don't, its a money pit, ask me how I know this, well you already know

Comment

Working...
                                X