Keto 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Dang....[emoji2962]...I still got a lot to learn. 4 ounces of steak ain't even a petite filet mignon.[emoji3052]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

There are different allowances for folks with different body types and different goals.

That intake would never stand up to my workout regime.

Comment

Dang....[emoji2962]...I still got a lot to learn. 4 ounces of steak ain't even a petite filet mignon.[emoji3052]

Yep...youll get it figured out....1 cooked ounce of protein is approximately 7 grams of protein. Will obviously be less if fatty.
      Last edited by Stump; 01-18-2021, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Figured bourbon and wine would be my major downfalls, NOPE, 2% milk throws me outa tha park! I have gone from 1/2 gallon per day to none. Today I broke down and had 1 cup for breakfast and it wrecked my carbs for the day. I still came in under but couldn’t have hardly any more during the day.

Comment

yeah most things labeled "keto" actually aren't. it's like someone told them "no more than 20 carbs" and they went and put it in a single serving. they just don't get it most of the time. as for convenience, my favorite thing to get is panda express. just get the grilled chicken (no teriyaki sauce!) and super greens.

Comment

So having meals prepped and delivered thru the mail is not a good idea. How about the local places that make meals by the day, week or monthly type plan? As you can probably tell, I am all about convenience and getting this done. I don't mind the premium price but time is something we try to keep for other things in life. The wife is putting some moose in the crockpot tonight and made some cauliflower with cream & butter, but opening two new business locations and trying to finalize our franchise offering I doubt she will be doing that often.
            The good news my gut is going down as my belt needs another hole in it. I feel stronger but still get sleepy around 2pm. That may be from the workouts but it is tough to fight thru the dozing spells. Down about 15 pounds and looking to figure out KETO to get another 20 pounds!!!
            I don't know about store bought meal prep services. Haven't looked into that. I imagine there are some good options. Probably just expensive, but if the service of prepping and prepackaging the meals is of value to you, it could probably be a good option for good food and time savings.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Figured bourbon and wine would be my major downfalls, NOPE, 2% milk throws me outa tha park! I have gone from 1/2 gallon per day to none. Today I broke down and had 1 cup for breakfast and it wrecked my carbs for the day. I still came in under but couldn’t have hardly any more during the day.
              We don't even buy milk anymore. But we always have half and half and heavy cream in the fridge.

Comment

So having meals prepped and delivered thru the mail is not a good idea. How about the local places that make meals by the day, week or monthly type plan? As you can probably tell, I am all about convenience and getting this done. I don't mind the premium price but time is something we try to keep for other things in life. The wife is putting some moose in the crockpot tonight and made some cauliflower with cream & butter, but opening two new business locations and trying to finalize our franchise offering I doubt she will be doing that often.

The good news my gut is going down as my belt needs another hole in it. I feel stronger but still get sleepy around 2pm. That may be from the workouts but it is tough to fight thru the dozing spells. Down about 15 pounds and looking to figure out KETO to get another 20 pounds!!!
                https://iconmeals.com/products/ketobox

Check out Icon Meals. I have heard good things about them. If you do try it, give us a review.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Keto 2021

There are different allowances 5for folks with different body types and different goals.

That intake would never stand up to my workout regime.

You are right everyone is going to have to figure out what calorie load works for them. Very different for a gym rat trying to cut vs an obese guy trying to shed a lot of weight. Just sharing so people can get a visual idea of what the protein to fat ratio looks like.

My normal workout routine was warm up, lifting, core, stretching and end with 10 minutes dry sauna. Depending on the day, I was in the gym for 1.75 to 2.25 hrs. I’m not one to visit while I’m there, all business. On my usual diet I was at 2250-2400 calories to maintain my weight. With Keto it was around 1850. It’s kind of weird. Not working out now because I just came off back surgery and now my gym is closed. That’s why I have dropped my calories down even further.
                  Last edited by rtp; 01-19-2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    Guys, my wife made the most awesome soup tonight. I can’t begin to tell ya how good it is because my tongue is slapping my brains out right now. [emoji23][emoji23]

Keto White Chicken Chili Soup

This is a keto version of the white chicken chili recipe made popular by Karen Celia Fox (she adapted it from The Kitchen for Exploring Foods caterers in Pasadena, California. The original recipe is fantastic!). The end result is a thick, creamy white chili with chunks of sauteed and pulled chicken. Great for those cold winter nights! Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight for better flavor.

Ingredient Checklist

1 tablespoon oil, or as needed
                    1 stick butter, divided
                    2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
                    3 teaspoons chili powder
                    salt and ground black pepper to taste
                    1 1/2 cup chicken broth
                    4 cups heavy whipping cream
                    8 ounces cream cheese
                    3 tablespoons onion powder
                    4 teaspoons cumin
                    3 teaspoon hot sauce
                    3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
                    4 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
                    1 head of Cauliflower chopped (original recipe doesn’t call for it but the wife said wth [emoji23])

Step 1
                    Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
                    Step 2
                    Meanwhile, season chicken with chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook chicken in the skillet on 1 side for 5 minutes, resisting the urge to flip early. Turn and cook, turning occasionally to keep from burning, until no longer pink inside and juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool until safe to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred chicken using your fingers and set aside.
                    Step 3
                    Mix remaining 6 tablespoons butter, chicken broth, heavy cream, cream cheese, onion powder, cumin, and hot sauce together in a large, heavy pot. Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer; cook until butter and cream cheese are melted, about 5 minutes.
                    Step 4
                    Add shredded chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, and green chiles to the chili in the pot. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
                    It made a bunch...we had all we could eat and I can’t wait to have the leftovers. Bet it will be even better the next few days.

Looks great. I’m going to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                      The pee strips arent very reliable..dont really worry about the shade as much as making them turn a color

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      The strips I used seemed very accurate both times I've done keto. Probably only 2 instances of them not being the colors expected on days when I hadn't potentially pushed 20 cards.

Started December 2nd at 223 lbs and at 203.8 today. Last time I went from 220's to 180. Planning to stop at 200 this time.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        Guys, my wife made the most awesome soup tonight. I can’t begin to tell ya how good it is because my tongue is slapping my brains out right now. [emoji23][emoji23]

Keto White Chicken Chili Soup

This is a keto version of the white chicken chili recipe made popular by Karen Celia Fox (she adapted it from The Kitchen for Exploring Foods caterers in Pasadena, California. The original recipe is fantastic!). The end result is a thick, creamy white chili with chunks of sauteed and pulled chicken. Great for those cold winter nights! Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight for better flavor.

Ingredient Checklist

1 tablespoon oil, or as needed
                        1 stick butter, divided
                        2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
                        3 teaspoons chili powder
                        salt and ground black pepper to taste
                        1 1/2 cup chicken broth
                        4 cups heavy whipping cream
                        8 ounces cream cheese
                        3 tablespoons onion powder
                        4 teaspoons cumin
                        3 teaspoon hot sauce
                        3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
                        4 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
                        1 head of Cauliflower chopped (original recipe doesn’t call for it but the wife said wth [emoji23])

Step 1
                        Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
                        Step 2
                        Meanwhile, season chicken with chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook chicken in the skillet on 1 side for 5 minutes, resisting the urge to flip early. Turn and cook, turning occasionally to keep from burning, until no longer pink inside and juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool until safe to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred chicken using your fingers and set aside.
                        Step 3
                        Mix remaining 6 tablespoons butter, chicken broth, heavy cream, cream cheese, onion powder, cumin, and hot sauce together in a large, heavy pot. Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer; cook until butter and cream cheese are melted, about 5 minutes.
                        Step 4
                        Add shredded chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, and green chiles to the chili in the pot. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
                        It made a bunch...we had all we could eat and I can’t wait to have the leftovers. Bet it will be even better the next few days.

I make something very similar to this as one of my regular meal rotations. I chunk up a half an avocado in there with my serving. It’s delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oscar, you just have to remember with this you want your body burning fat for energy not carbs. You want your liver to start producing a good amount of ketones. Your body isnt goint to turn the fat burner on if there is too much protein intake. When Im not on keto, Im heavy on protein.....about 200-230gr per day. I love meat above anything else but fatty foods are so flavorful it really doesnt seem like Im sacrificing.

Couple random thoughts......I never would have thought Ranch dressing and cream cheese would be part of a "diet" lol. And how is it that a pickle is basically nothing according to the nutrition label?

Comment

For milk do 8 parts water to 1 part heavy cream. pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp sweetener of choice.

Comment

I haven't tracked my macros in months, but I started tracking them again yesterday just out of curiosity to see if my eating habits were still on track. What I ate yesterday was pretty dang close to targets. I was lower in carbs and higher in fat than targets at lunch, actually, but almost dead on for calories for half of my daily target (eating just 2 meals per day). So then I figured I'd try to hit all targets as close as I could for the day by planning what to eat at supper. The easiest way I've found to plan your macros in advance is this. I use the My Fitness Pal app when I'm tracking meals and macros. Rather than just eating stuff and then finding out where the macros fell after you ate it, you can plug in the food you have available to choose from before you eat and then add/delete food items and/or portions until you figure out what food and what portion size of each food to eat in order to hit your target. Just takes a minute or two. Easy.

When I'm tracking everything every day like that, usually I'll eat whatever is available quick for lunch and enter that into the app. Then, before supper, I'll look at the daily macros eaten at lunch versus daily goal targets to see how much or little fat, protein, and carbs I need to eat at supper. Then enter available foods and portions in to see what to eat to get daily targets. If I need extra fat, then olive oil, avocado, cheese, or butter are easy to add more of. Or, I can eat some berries with greek yogurt, cream cheese, and/or heavy cream for desert (with vanilla and monk fruit). Or put a few cacao chips and coconut oil in the microwave for a few seconds and then mix with macadamia nuts, almond butter, or berries. All good for desert too. If I need extra protein, then meat (of course) or eggs are easy adds. Those both have fat too. If I just need more protein without adding lots of extra fat, then collagen powder in some half and half (heated up with a little butter, vanilla and monk fruit) or put the powder in some warmed up bone broth is easy.

Mostly, we eat lots of venison, beef, chicken or fish with salads that have blue or other cheese, nuts, ranch or blue cheese dressing, and lots of olive oil on them. Lots of grilled or sauteed or fresh/raw veggies. I try to eat an avocado every day, and I usually try to eat 2 or 3 eggs every day. I haven't been eating as many eggs lately, as we've been super busy and have eaten at restaurants a lot more than normal. Eating out, I stick with meats, salads, veggies. Avocado and/or guacamole are usually easy to get at restaurants. At Mexican places, I always ask them to leave off the rice and beans and give me extra guac and/or extra salad. Skip the tortillas and chips. There are a couple places here that have pork rinds, so I get those instead of chips when that's an option.

Just some things I've picked up that make eating low carb easy. Hope it helps.
                              Last edited by Shane; 01-20-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Good advice Shane, that's exactly what I do a lot of time. I use my app to plan my eating rather than just logging it afterwards. Simple to enter and then adjust or delete as necessary.

Let's talk alcohol and how it affects Keto. Our body views alcohol as a toxin/poison. Shameful, I know, but that's the way it is. Once we are in ketosis our liver is making those fat burning ketones nonstop thus the reason we are burning fat at a much more rapid pace than normal. When we introduce alcohol into our body the first thing the liver does is shutdown everything it is doing to address the alcohol and rid it from our body. So while we may only drink enough to stay within our macros, the alcohol still has a delaying effect on how much weight/fat we are losing. When Im in maintenance mode, I can have a few drinks 4-5 nights a week and still maintain my weight without a problem. When I did keto previously and now, I would/will have a couple drinks every couple weeks because my wife likes me to. I didnt want to shutdown the fat burning process daily or every few days or even once a week. It just isnt worth it to me. I would rather reach my target goal sooner than later. Beer is pretty much a no no on keto. If Im going to have a couple drinks it will be either red wine, vodka soda with lime or dark rum and lime.

Comment

Working...
                                X