No announcement yet.

Should I cancel my health insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what you all are talking about....Obamacare lowered health insurance for all...saved each family a minimum of $2500 per year.....
    AND you got to keep your plan....I was skeptical at first but the media reassured me of this.....
    Plenty of people in the country have absolutely no health coverage and get medical care anytime it is needed with no ability or desire to pay it back

Comment

Before Obamacare we were paying around $9000 a year, now its close to $20K annually and the small portion my wife's employer was covering we lost last year. We are now self pay, meds for kids and myself and regular appointments. As long as we don't have a major set back cash has actually been way less expensive for us. GooD RX has been for us way cheaper than any Pharma policy on our insurance. I pray nothing major happens but that's true with any part of life, paying $20k to an insurance policy a year just feels wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        You don’t insure your home or vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yes because it is a requirement if you have something financed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          I don't want to pile on, but I'm curious if you have disability insurance or term life insurance (like 10x income, not the small amount work offers)

Comment

Nah. That's a broad brush you have there. I won't tell another man how to conduct his family's business and I dang sure ain't gona listen to another man tell me how to handle my affairs. I have a very good paying job, a very nice home, and more blessings than I can count and don't have a lick of insurance by choice. But I dang sure take care of my business and am anything but irresponsible I promise. I know lots of TBHers on here personally that will tell you the same.
            So you have money to burn on ink yet you won't safeguard your children's future health. It's just like driving with no insurance. All it takes is that one time and it's not just you but that other driver you have to look out for that you dont see coming. Same thing with disease/emergency. You dont expect it but you want to be prepared and have a plan b. I think you are playing roulette with your family 's future. Good luck and get a few lotto tickets and scratch offs while you are at it since you choose not to spend on insurance

Comment

So if you crash your car, the car is covered but your family members inside it are not?

Comment

Nah. That's a broad brush you have there. I won't tell another man how to conduct his family's business and I dang sure ain't gona listen to another man tell me how to handle my affairs. I have a very good paying job, a very nice home, and more blessings than I can count and don't have a lick of insurance by choice. But I dang sure take care of my business and am anything but irresponsible I promise. I know lots of TBHers on here personally that will tell you the same.
                What about this?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  I don't want to pile on, but I'm curious if you have disability insurance or term life insurance (like 10x income, not the small amount work offers)
                  No sir, I only carry simple insurances that a bank would require during the term of a loan.... auto, home, motorcycle. As a Christian, my views on some of these things will be disagreed with by most on here so I won't get into a debate on here about that and derail the OP's thread. I will just leave it at this one statement and then bow out as to not be the reason for any arguments on a thread, as I see that is the direction some are wanting to go...

I feel that a responsibility as a Dad is to provide for my family (which I do), but mostly it is to ensure that they have a close relationship with Jesus, my provider (which I do). I see too many parents living in fear of what could happen in a life that's temporary while failing to prepare them for something that is eternal. Someone said a parent without medical insurance is irresponsible in their view... and that's fine if they feel that way. I would view myself as being irresponsible if I weren't teaching my kids about Christ and plugging them into a local church where they can learn to trust God in all things. I could fill a book with testimony of how He has blessed and provided for my family in spite of me not deserving it. I realize horrible things sometimes happen in this life that catch us by surprise. I won't fear those things as it won't catch God by surprise. I'll leave it that. With that said, I find no fault in a man who feels like he needs to provide health insurance for his family. It's his family to lead, not mine.

I hope this answers questions about my previous comment. I don't expect most to understand my stance and that's ok. I apologize to the OP for getting your thread side-tracked.
                  Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-19-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Only time I've been to a hospital in 25+ years and I ended up paying cash. The bills weren't insane like I expected. Let's just say that we have been blessed and my income in the last couple of years has increased drastically.
                    Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-19-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Some of y'all need to be careful with those medishare-type plans. Some of them have pretty low limits and wouldn't fully cover a bout with cancer or a major accident. Also, some of them require that you do not consume alcohol or tabacco. Lets say you have a few drinks with he guys, go for a 4wheeler ride and have a wreck. They are reviewing the medical records later and see that you had alcohol in your system, not drunk per say, just had been drinking. Claim denied. I think a happy medium in this current health care climate is to buy a catastrophic policy and cover all the daily stuff out of pocket. But going scorched earth and not having any insurance at all is a bad move.

Comment

Having kids and not having health insurance (and even life insurance) is irresponsible
                        Are you Liberal Democrat?
                        You sure come off that way

Comment

Just going to throw this out there and I know it is a broad statement and every situation is different, but anyone that does not have at least some term insurance and has a family is being completely selfish. What's a few $ per month to protect the standard of living for your family? " Work has me covered." That is great until you find out that $25k isn't going to cover your $300k debt. Not to mention the monthly income you are bringing home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            LOL. Providing insurance for a family makes someone a liberal democrat?

This makes about as much sense as every single other post you make.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              This is like a half-thought.

Comment

100% agreed! Not having coverage due to "I can save 10k a year not having insurance, until you really need it" comes off selfish.

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                                Just going to throw this out there and I know it is a broad statement and every situation is different, but anyone that does not have at least some term insurance and has a family is being completely selfish. What's a few $ per month to protect the standard of living for your family? " Work has me covered." That is great until you find out that $25k isn't going to cover your $300k debt. Not to mention the monthly income you are bringing home.

Comment

Working...
                                X