Residential Spray Insulation Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Spray Insulation Advice?

I am wanting to spray more insulation in my residential attic. Is it possible for me to do this myself? Rent a machine and buy the insulation? I’m not educated in this so I wanted to ask the experts. If I hired someone how much does it generally run $$? Is it by square foot? Do I need to remove the old spray insulation or can it stay? Could someone help with the process explanation.
    I appreciate all the input and help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an expert, but I helped a friend do this. He rented the machine and bought the bags of insulation, some sort of news paper type stuff. It was recommended that he didn't remove anything and just spray over the existing. He went about 6" thick with the stuff. Claims it helped light bill.

Comment

Do you mean spray foam or blown loose insulation?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this like the time you were needing a new trailer ball??[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Curious about this as well.

Comment

It’s a 2 person job and pretty easy if your attic isn’t really tight.

Go to Home Depot and buy Owens Corning attic cat insulation. I believe if you buy 10 bags, they let you use the machine free. (Even if you don’t need 10, pick up at least 10 to get the free machine and return the unused when you return the machine.)

One person is outside feeding the machine and the other is in the attic blowing it in. Need a good head lamp and WATCH YOUR STEP unless you like drywall repair. Blowing it on top of existing insulation is fine. This is why I like that brand, it is really light so you aren’t adding much weight to the ceiling and it will never settle or retain moisture.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Do you mean spray foam or blown loose insulation?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Sounds like he wants a blow job not a spray job.

As cheap as insulation is I'd pay somebody to blow it. And I'm cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                It’s a 2 person job and pretty easy if your attic isn’t really tight.

Go to Home Depot and buy Owens Corning attic cat insulation. I believe if you buy 10 bags, they let you use the machine free. (Even if you don’t need 10, pick up at least 10 to get the free machine and return the unused when you return the machine.)

One person is outside feeding the machine and the other is in the attic blowing it in. Need a good head lamp and WATCH YOUR STEP unless you like drywall repair. Blowing it on top of existing insulation is fine. This is why I like that brand, it is really light so you aren’t adding much weight to the ceiling and it will never settle or retain moisture.
                Exactly what we did and very simple. I fed machine and had one of my painters in the attic spraying it, didn't take long at all. I did same as above and didn't use all and returned unused

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                  Sounds like he wants a blow job not a spray job.

As cheap as insulation is I'd pay somebody to blow it. And I'm cheap.
                  Yea, he is a she.

Comment

But I'm getting old enough crawling around in attics is no fun.

Comment

I found out about an energy program SWEPCO had least year, the guy told me they do it at the beginning of every year until the funding runs out. They will blow insulation your attic for free if u meet a couple criteria. I had them do mine, i saw an immediate savings of almost 50/month on a 30 yo 3000 sq ft house you might did around on your providers website and see if yours has any similiar programs

Comment

Do you need to be careful with can lights?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Yea, he is a she.
                          My fault. I didn't look at the OP's screen name.

Comment

Working...
                          X