Good whitetail/hog round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good whitetail/hog round

GS gurus would you consider 7.62x39 a good whitetail round? I’m used taking deer with a .280 150 gr core lokt. They don’t take a second step. But I’m getting older and it delivers quit a shoulder thump. Thinking of trying a .308 or 7.62x39. Thanks for your opinions

About 5 years ago I used to hunt with my sks with the hornady 139 gr sst in 7.62x39 killed a 4 pt and a yote. Both dropped in there tracks. Seemed to work well on pigs too fun to get a lot of shots off before they could get out of the field... cleaning them well that's a different story.

Comment

The 7.62x39 is about even with the old 30-30 as far as muzzle energy if I remember correctly. It will do the job under most circumstances. The .308 will do everything you need under all circumstances. In a light gun, it too can smack you around a bit.

Comment

7.62x39 is similar, ballistically, to 30-30. With the Hornady SST (which I have also used to shoot a few does and pigs) it is a perfectly adequate deer and hog round. You might also consider the 243. Its also a decent all around varmint, deer, and hog round with very little felt recoil in most rifle set-ups. Plus there is a huge selection of ammo.

cricman

Comment

Great deer killer inside 200.
          If you want to stretch out further the 6.5 Grendel is almost the same case , same bullet weight and much flatter

Comment

Love my 243 for an all gun for texas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks I have a .243 and taken several deer with it. Can I find something a little heavier bullet than 100 gr

Comment

I like the .243 also..Can't remember seeing anything heavier than 100gr.,but I sure like that bullet.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

The 30-30 always best the 7.62x39 and with a heavier bullet.

Between the two, wouldn’t the 308 be a nobrainer?

Comment

44 yep the .308 is probably a no brainer but I really like the Ruger Ranch Rifle and its not made in .308

Comment

6.8SPC for hogs, deer, yotes, coons, rats(2 and 4 legged varieties) and everything in between.

Comment

I nominate the .257 Roberts---little brother to my .25-06 and it is a sweetheart.

Comment

Are you looking for a semiauto or bolt action?

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                            7.62x39 is similar, ballistically, to 30-30. With the Hornady SST (which I have also used to shoot a few does and pigs) it is a perfectly adequate deer and hog round. You might also consider the 243. Its also a decent all around varmint, deer, and hog round with very little felt recoil in most rifle set-ups. Plus there is a huge selection of ammo.

cricman

This^^^^ the 123 grain SST in x39 (Hornady black) is a nasty bullet. I also looooove the 243 with 100 grain Sierra pro hunters(handloads). The Winchester 100 grain silver box does the job well.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
                              Thanks I have a .243 and taken several deer with it. Can I find something a little heavier bullet than 100 gr

Not with out hand loading and your twist rate probably isn’t good for it.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Working...
                              X