Pheasant Hunt Supply List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Hunt Supply List

My dog and I are heading out in about a week to SD. I've got a small list going already, but wanting to make sure I don't forget anything.

Any suggestions? Especially what kind of boots to wear...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey my brother, where abouts?! We're headed up there in a couple weeks as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
      Hey my brother, where abouts?! We're headed up there in a couple weeks as well!
      Winner

Comment

Oh cool. We're just north of ya up in Prescho.

Comment

If your dog is not short/flat coated make sure to bring some Pam spray, makes it much easier to comb the burrs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of areas are pretty wet and muddy this year

Comment

Good boots, orange hat or vest. I wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face. I wear Danner Pronghorn boots but footwear seems to vary with your body type. I always have clothing for any weather up there this time of year. I wear wool because you will be walking quite a bit unless you are blocking on a field. If you have an odd ball caliber shotgun be sure to have plenty of shells on hand. 28 gauge may be tough to find in some of the smaller towns. You can get your license online before you get there if that is easier.

Do you know if you are hunting CRP or cornfields? The CRP can be some nasty stuff for you and the dog. Cornfields aren't bad but they do result in a dirty shotgun pretty quick. I keep some rem oil and I swab on hand to clean corn stalks out of the barrel.

Comment

If you’re hunting in cut/stubble fields, bring some kind of salve in case your dog’s legs and pits get torn up.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                  Lots of areas are pretty wet and muddy this year
                  Yup, boots for mud/snow a must just in case. If it's dry then a good walking boot. Also, the boots that have the rubber around the toe or much rubber up front will get your attention after a while...adds more resistance than I would've thought. Lotta drag in the thick stuff.

Comment

Chaps or pants with heavy Cordura fabric on front are nice to wear. You will wish you had them on if you buck any heavy, thorny cover. A plus also in heavy dew or snow. Mine are snake proof chaps that give me a feeling of security if/when there is warm weather during the hunt

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                      Winner

I'll be in Gregory in December.

Brush pants or chaps.
                      Waterproof boots.
                      Orange Hat.
                      Good bird vest.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        I'll be in Gregory in December.

Brush pants or chaps.
                        Waterproof boots.
                        Orange Hat.
                        Good bird vest.
                        I will be in Gregory tomorrow afternoon, staying in Dallas SD. I think its going to be cold.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                          I will be in Gregory tomorrow afternoon, staying in Dallas SD. I think its going to be cold.
                          You suck. Have a good time and enjoy. That is awesome

Comment

I will be in NW Iowa in 2 weeks. We wait to go after the corn has been harvested. Gallon zip lock bags and game sheers. Bring some light gloves. If it is 45* to 50* there you will be shedding coats and hunting in in a long sleeve shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                              You hunted Biggins year before last didn't you? Are you going back there?

Comment

Working...
                              X