Land Clearing by Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Clearing by Hand

I have a 30 acre section of woods on the ranch that needs to be cleaned up. It is mainly filled with small 2" saplings and trifoliate orange. The wildlife biologist said it needs to be dealt with.

A skidsteer with a mulching head is out of the budget this year. The tractor won't fit in the area, too many mature oak trees, unable to navigate.

I am thinking that I should focus on several 1-2 acre areas for bedding or bow stands. I have put it off for two years but it only gets worse. I am thinking a chainsaw and a stihl weedeater with a brush cutter head might be the way to go.

Any ideas on how to get some of it cleaned up as efficiently as possible?

DR Trimmer with a beaver blade would be handy. Cleared lots of brush with ours.

Comment

You could try renting a Brush mower, there are walk behinds, and push brush mowers

Comment

Single hand echo chainsaw, pole saw, atv with trailer to haul limbs. You can get a lot done with the small chainsaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
          You could try renting a Brush mower, there are walk behinds, and push brush mowers
          I didn't even know these existed, will have to see if I can rent one.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            I have a 30 acre section of woods on the ranch that needs to be cleaned up. It is mainly filled with small 2" saplings and trifoliate orange. The wildlife biologist said it needs to be dealt with.

A skidsteer with a mulching head is out of the budget this year. The tractor won't fit in the area, too many mature oak trees, unable to navigate.

I am thinking that I should focus on several 1-2 acre areas for bedding or bow stands. I have put it off for two years but it only gets worse. I am thinking a chainsaw and a stihl weedeater with a brush cutter head might be the way to go.

Any ideas on how to get some of it cleaned up as efficiently as possible?
            Find some enterprising young hand with access to a skid steer and trade a year or two of hunting access, or whatever you think is equitable.

Comment

30 acres???? I am finding a way to get my tractor in there!

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                30 acres???? I am finding a way to get my tractor in there!
                It borders a creek with dropoffs, rolling hills, and washouts. Would be a good way to roll a tractor, I am too sissy for it. Not to mention it is pretty muddy from all this rain this year.

Comment

If you are cutting by hand, you should apply a herbicide so the sprouts don't have you doing the same thing in a couple of years. I like Tordon.

Comment

Goats...you need goats

Comment

A good battery operated sawzall with a pruning blade could do you a lot of good.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                        Goats...you need goats
                        Actually considered it. I would only be going on weekends though so not feasible. The portable electric fencing was extremely expensive as well.

Comment

Clearing what you describe by hand is a lot of back breaking work... trust me, I know. You'd be best using a push brush mower at a minimum.

When you say a skid steer is out of the budget, do you mean a purchase, or paying somebody to come out and clear for you using that equipment?

Comment

You can also rent skid steers with a brush mulcher, that would probably be the best bang for your buck.

If doing it by hand, it will be backbreaking and tough. But more power to you, sir.

Comment

BTW, 1 acre with a trimmer with a cutter head is still very slow and tedious. I bought one thinking I'd do something similar... and now use it just maintain paths and shooting lanes I took down with a tractor. When you spend an hour with a trimmer covering the same area that takes 2 minutes with a tractor.... it is eye opening for sure just how inefficient a trimmer actually is when you need to do big jobs.

That said... if you cut a path with a trimmer through some thick stuff... the critters will use it. So I like having my trimmer to open up some spots for ambush bow stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X